PDA

View Full Version : Progress update

Goblin-King
June 13th, 2006, 09:03
I'm out of the coding cave to give you all a little update on the progress of the next version. The development process is taking a bit longer than we initially planned, due to some design issues we had to solve.

The actual engine coding is getting very close to being finished, and we are at the moment working on getting the d20 ruleset to take advantage of the new features and to work with the new stuff. I think we are getting confident that the system works very nicely overall, and I'm very much looking forward to getting more actual details out as we get closer to the goal.

The delays we've experienced have had to do with two things that weren't actually apparent to us on paper, before we actually got to work on the ruleset itself. First, it turned out that we had to delegate a bit more functionality from the engine to the script implementation than expected, to get a nice scripting interface that would not require users working on rulesets to succumb to little tricks to get around some things that turned into annoyances when exposed to the flexibility of scripting. The downside is that we need to work on getting that part of things from the engine into the ruleset, the upside is that most of it will now be customizable. Second, we had to make some revisions to the way some data is processed on the sheets, to better take advantage of the new features available.

We have decided to call the next version Fantasy Grounds version 2.0. There will be new features and changes that are sufficiently significant a change in what can be done with rulesets and how to be reflected in the version number. Another thing that we feel very important is to make sure this next patch will not in any way cause major inconvenience or discontinuity in games users are currently running. Version 2.0 will install parallel to 1.05, and users will be able to both copy over existing campaigns and use them, and to keep using their existing campaigns while they get ready to move to the next version, if necessary. We plan to keep both versions available to new and existing users in order to keep things moving smoothly.

As we have hinted earlier, we plan to release the patch first as a public test version, that is not officially finished and which will be ready to undergo quick releases of new versions if required. The purpose of this testing phase is not intended to be focused on bug hunting, but rather on feedback on the new systems. We will be interested in the opinions of the users who probably already have ideas about new stuff they want in their rulesets and how they manage to realize or not realize them using v2.0. Of particular importance here will be the templating system, that allows more advanced users to create ruleset snippets, typically containing all scripting and any complicated data processing, and exposing that to people who don't want to or don't have the programming expertise to do it all themselves but want to take advantage of the new possibilities. Also, of course, we will be open to any ideas about the default ruleset that will be available.

In order to support the community's ruleset modification efforts, we will also be releasing documentation about it. The most important will probably be the scripting interface reference, which details all the xml and lua elements and functions available and how to use them. We'll also be working on a general modders' guide type of document, which will probably see development mostly during the testing phase based on user impressions of the system.

At the moment, we're working on getting the patch ready for testing. We are planning to release a first version of the script interface reference as a preview before the public beta testing period starts. We'll be back with more updates as we get the patch ready for internal testing and we can start locking down some dates for the next phases.

Wavestone
June 13th, 2006, 11:13
Thanks for the progress report!

As for the version number, I earlier had the feeling that the patch was going to be a lot bigger than merited upgrade numbers 1.05 -> 1.06.. Rewriting and refactoring major parts of the core program sounded a lot like a new edition of FG.. Also, using 2.0 makes more people aware that this isnt just a little quick patch, but quite major stuff :)

I commend you on the idea of making it possible to install 2.0 parallell to 1.05, thus not risking corrupting existing campaigns during the testing period.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out... I have good hopes! :)

Cantstanzya
June 13th, 2006, 11:55
Thanks for the update. It makes the wait a little easier.

Snigwiddle
June 13th, 2006, 13:05
Thank You, so very much for the update!Sounds like 2.0 will be worth waiting for, after all.I am extremely excited about the possibilities, and the update re-instills my faith that this is the ultimate gaming solution for my group.I had a few doubts in my previous posts, but a simple update has made them vanish.Now, get back to work, you don't have time to waste on these boards!We need this patch.(Why yes, we are very fickle, aren't we..)

rabbit
June 13th, 2006, 14:26
I also give my SINCERE thanks for a long and thoughtful update.

Here's an annoying question: since you will now be supporting two versions, please tell me we won't have to "rebuy" version 2? I just invested in 5 licenses on the hope of the upgrade...

richvalle
June 13th, 2006, 14:46
Oh wow. I like that run in parrallel idea. Now I can test 2.0 out with my group without messing up our current game. If 2.0 isn't working we'll just bail and move back to 1.5.

Ok, I'm willing to test out 2.0!! Where is it??? :)

Thanks for the update.

rv

kalmarjan
June 13th, 2006, 15:27
See? Good things come to those that wait.

Eagerly awaiting to test the new functionality.

Sandeman

gurney9999
June 13th, 2006, 15:45
Woot woot! Great to hear and we look forward to it!

Ged
June 13th, 2006, 18:00
I also give my SINCERE thanks for a long and thoughtful update.

Here's an annoying question: since you will now be supporting two versions, please tell me we won't have to "rebuy" version 2? I just invested in 5 licenses on the hope of the upgrade...

No worries, the new version will be available as an upgrade free of charge.

sphilps
June 13th, 2006, 18:34
awesome! Thanks for the update.

Griogre
June 13th, 2006, 18:36
Thanks for splitting 2.0 and 1.5 and allowing simo install and campaign transfer. :D

ByteBandit
June 13th, 2006, 22:31
Thanks for the detailed update. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on the test version :)

Tailz Silver Paws
June 14th, 2006, 00:50
I also look forwards to getting my paws on the new version.

NeoDante
June 14th, 2006, 02:48
Great update, and looks like a great plan allowing 1.5 users to continue alongside 2.0 'refinement'. ;)

sunbeam60
June 14th, 2006, 13:09
Cool stuff, thanks a lot for the update. Some scripting questions, which I would understand if you don't feel ready to answer:

* Does the Lua scripting environment allow the "require" and "loadlib" function so we can link in external Lua and C libraries? This would fairly quickly open FG up for music player integration, automatic live posting of a game to an IRC channel or some other requested functionality?

* Will there be scripting functions for drawing on the maps? That way, custom animations, layering etc. could be added by users.

Thanks again for the update
Bjorn

Goblin-King
June 14th, 2006, 13:32
Does the Lua scripting environment allow the "require" and "loadlib" function so we can link in external Lua and C libraries? This would fairly quickly open FG up for music player integration, automatic live posting of a game to an IRC channel or some other requested functionality?
Not directly. The most important point to remember is that scripts should not allow malicious content, and for that reason stuff like direct file system access is not allowed in the scripts. You could import Lua libraries using such:

<script name="MyLib" file="rulesets/myruleset/file.lua" />

This would make a global Lua object called MyLib under which you could access the stuff declared in the file. So if the file has a function "dostuff", you could use "MyLib.dostuff()" anywhere in other scripts.

That won't necessarily allow all generic Lua-libraries to be used directly, but it does tie in well with the general ruleset system and is safe for users who aren't that technical.

C/C++-extensions are not planned at this time due to the critical security issues that they would cause. I know we could do this indirectly in some manner and let the user decide or use a safe conduit such as http... no clear decision on this as of yet but it will not be in 2.0.

Will there be scripting functions for drawing on the maps? That way, custom animations, layering etc. could be added by users.
You can use things called widgets in sheet controls. They are basically a layer of objects you can control in script that are drawn on top of the control. At this time you can use icons and text. This is a prime candidate for future extension and I'm sure we will get loads of ideas about this when you guys get your hands on it.

Animations and complex drawing operations such as masking can really bog lower end machines down and we want to make sure the system works well across the board, that is the primary reason we went with the widget system. Basically, you create, initialize and update them in script, but they are processed and drawn using fast engine functions.

Also you can control tokens using scripts, I'm sure some users will get creative with that. :)

draeven57
June 14th, 2006, 17:52
Awesome!

Now quiet down everyone and let the man get back to work!!! j/k

:D

Snikle
June 15th, 2006, 00:56
Look forward to using this new system, sounds like you guys have outdone yourselves....again! Good job guys.

Tailz Silver Paws
June 15th, 2006, 01:56
Also you can control tokens using scripts, I'm sure some users will get creative with that. :)

Now that sounds very intresting indeed - courious to know how it will work.

festivus
June 20th, 2006, 06:09
Heh, call me impatient, but I the only things I want are to have stuff preserved that I see on my screen. You know, token placement, the combat planner, masking.... all the stuff that currently disappears or reverts when we have a crash. If we can get rid of the crashes to boot I will get even more exited.

If that stuff is in 2.0 I am all for it. Until then, I'll keep my graph paper notepad handy for writing stuff down and mapping things out.

Thank you for the update, I knew it was going to be a big one. Thank you for the co-existing environments you propose, I wish other software manufacturers would get a clue from you.

Faldran
June 20th, 2006, 21:11
Yeah, an automated save, once per minute of things updated on the maps would be great... That way if there is a crash, or you stop a session, the next time you can pick up right where you left off.

That is something that is needed very badly.

I too, would prefer that over scripting.. but scripting would be nice, after they get the above fixed first.

Makerofthings
June 28th, 2006, 18:17
Hi,

Is there any information in what will be in the newest patch (2.0)? A list of new additions and fixes would be helpful to me. Thanks.

Michael

bigdruid
August 7th, 2006, 00:42
Been 6-7 weeks since the last update unless I missed something. Could we get some news please?

Cantstanzya
August 7th, 2006, 01:41
GenCon is this week, I suspect we will get an update after it's over.

Ged
August 7th, 2006, 16:28
Thanks to everybody for patience thus far, but indeed, we'll shed some light in the future prospects after Gen Con. :)

Zuxius
August 8th, 2006, 20:41
Sounds good, I am reluctant to move ahead given that so much is to be offered between you guys and Code Monkey Publishing. Your version 2.0 coupled with their RPG Foundry sounds like an undeniable force to be reckoned with. Glad you guys are sharing the same booth....I am sure some thoughts will be floated around.

AVJax
August 9th, 2006, 22:50
Just finished another evening playing The Witchfire trilogy. Fantasy grounds is absolutely brilliant. We actually get more done during the online sessions than when we get together as it focuses your attention.

One thing that would be a brilliant addition would be the ability to print out your character sheets. We are actually playing the campaign in person and on fantasy grounds and keeping track of the characters is so much easier on FG than on Pen and Paper it would be great to just print them out when we do have the face to face sessions. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.

sunbeam60
August 10th, 2006, 16:28
Soooooo, GenCon is on, right? Anyone there can spill the beans? Is there a running 2.0 in the Booth?

rabbit
August 13th, 2006, 19:59
Alas, there was no 2.0 on offer. I stopped by and said hi. I asked "hey, can I ask when we might see 2.0?" The answer was "well, you can ask...."

Ged
August 15th, 2006, 20:16
Sorry about that :) Anyway, this week you'll get an update ...

Tailz Silver Paws
August 25th, 2006, 02:48
So how is work on 2.0 going?

Heater
August 28th, 2006, 15:35
Sorry about that :) Anyway, this week you'll get an update ...

Ok, what week? Time is fleeting since your last posting.

Ged
August 28th, 2006, 16:27
Ok, what week? Time is fleeting since your last posting.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4783