PDA

View Full Version : Token Sizes

spoonhead
September 2nd, 2018, 21:43
I'm trying to understand how to manage token sizes as part of an encounter. I've dropped the encounter into the Combat Tracker and all the tokens are scaled to inside one grid square. Is there a way of them not scaling so that the larger monsters stay larger than the PCs?

Also I have a trap that covers a 10' x 10' area and again I would like the token to be that size (in relation to the grid).

So I can resize the tokens on the fly when in the combat tracker using ctrl and the mouse wheel, but once I clear the combat tracker and load them again they revert back to the scaled size. I really want them to stay as is, especially the trap.

Am I doing this wrong or is this how FG works?

Cheers!

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2018, 21:47
Please always specify what ruleset you're using - this can make a difference to how things are handled.

Depending on the ruleset, it might read the size of the creature and set the "size" setting in the combat tracker appropriately. If it doesn't, then check the size setting. Generic info on this in the Map Settings Subsection here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Combat_Tracker

Make sure the size setting is appropriate before adding the token to the map, and the auto scaling set in the campaign options will be applied to the size setting of the creature. Info on the campaign settings here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options#Token

spoonhead
September 2nd, 2018, 21:49
Sorry about that. I'm using 5e. But I'll check out the links as well.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2018, 21:52
Sorry about that. I'm using 5e. But I'll check out the links as well.
OK. Check the size of the creatures. Small and Medium will be auto sized to fit in one square, large in 2, etc.. FG should extract the size info (if it's in the expected place in the NPC record) and set the size field in the combat tracker.

spoonhead
September 2nd, 2018, 22:01
I can see the size when in the tracker, but I can't see it in the NPC record. When I created my trap it seems to default to a size of 5, and again couldn't see where to enter the size in the NPC record.

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2018, 22:03
Assuming that you are creating your trap as an NPC then size is the second line on the NPC sheet after the Non ID name. Size should be entered as small, medium, large etc

Additionally make sure that you are dragging the NPC/Trap from the CT onto the map and that the map has a grid on it.

spoonhead
September 2nd, 2018, 22:12
Brilliant. It was staring right in front of me, and I was expecting to enter a number rather than a description. Thanks for your quick responses as always.

Skillkoil
September 2nd, 2018, 22:45
You can also always scroll up and down on a token to make it larger smaller in 5E. So for your trap if it isn't quite as big as you want you can mouse wheel up to resize the token.

spoonhead
September 3rd, 2018, 07:04
You can also always scroll up and down on a token to make it larger smaller in 5E. So for your trap if it isn't quite as big as you want you can mouse wheel up to resize the token.

Thanks. What I wanted though was to just have my tokens appear on the map already sized ahead of the game, but now I know it's based on a size I think I've managed to sort.