PDA

View Full Version : Starwars D20

Kipol
June 12th, 2006, 14:43
A few things:

Anybody know where i might be able to find a Starwars D20 rule set? Is it even legal to get such a thing? (I don't think so, but who knows).

If i were to make a SW rule set for my own purposes (using the core book that i have), would that be legally acceptable? (I think it is from what i've read, but i just wanna make sure).

Thanks

heliopolix
June 12th, 2006, 15:59
IANAL, but I believe that making a ruleset to use with FG for you & your group of freinds constitutes "Fair use". Distributing said ruleset, however, would probably be copyright violation. I, myself, have never played SWd20, so I'm not sure the extent (if any) of the material that falls under the OGL.

Also, 'ruleset' is a tricky word. One that basically included just a vanilla d20 charactersheet with futuristic backgrounds & such, with the DnD monsters removed would probably fly. One that had the 'reference' portion of the ruleset replaced with the specifics of SWd20 would probably land you in hot water.

That being said, good luck with the ruleset.
helio

cantrels
June 12th, 2006, 16:44
Well...I am no expert in the legal matters, but I do agree that whatever I make for my own personal use is fair game. I've made a Star Wars D20 ruleset, and I absolutely copied tems and specifics from the WotC rulebooks. While this makes it work well, it also means it is something that can never be shared/distributed legally.

Unfortunately, I think it would be tricky to make something that is completely OGL-compliant and still capture the "flavor" of the game, especially certain game mechanics that involves copywritten terms like "The Force", etc. But you could always take the existing D20 ruleset and alter it...I don't know if it would be a violation to say rename a skill to "Use Computer" vs. the "Computer Use" skill in the WotC books, etc. I just think the Force skills and feats would be the undoing :)