PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on how to fix this error?

merkvah
August 31st, 2018, 03:00
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/447974430828658688/484896230716211211/FG_Error.PNG

I have no clues. we tried clearing the cache, we tried rebooting...

damned
August 31st, 2018, 03:02
have you changed forum password recently?

merkvah
August 31st, 2018, 03:03
That error isn't about the forums... it's about trying to run a game. =( would the forum password make a difference there?

damned
August 31st, 2018, 03:18
It doesnt look like you are trying to run a game.
It looks like you are trying to run an update.

Log says "getting examples from FG Server"
The FG server uses your forum password.

MoonRacer
September 2nd, 2018, 17:31
Alright, Ultimate Licence, previously have been spending months hosting and joining games and have no issues. No changes to my network, hardware, or anything.

The last update came through and I went to update it, and Fantasy Grounds simply will not update.

I get exactly the same update error as above.

I was advised to shut down AV software during update, to make sure I was logged in correctly, then to restart, then to clear data, none of that worked. I even went so far as to uninstall the program entirely, clear data from the registry and appdata then re-install the program. Not only can I not update, but I also can't even sign into the program now (Yes, using my forum user/password). Here's the error for that:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2018, 17:38
Alright, Ultimate Licence, previously have been spending months hosting and joining games and have no issues. No changes to my network, hardware, or anything.

The last update came through and I went to update it, and Fantasy Grounds simply will not update.

I get exactly the same update error as above.

I was advised to shut down AV software during update, to make sure I was logged in correctly, then to restart, then to clear data, none of that worked. I even went so far as to uninstall the program entirely, clear data from the registry and appdata then re-install the program. Not only can I not update, but I also can't even sign into the program now (Yes, using my forum user/password). Here's the error for that:

Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forums. This is definitely something within your network setup blocking communication to the FG update server. Some more info on your specific error here: See this thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44181-Error-during-update-check-Cannot-install

MoonRacer
September 2nd, 2018, 17:58
Network is set to private, FG is allowed through the windows firewall.

I have also tried shutting down the firewall and AV (even though I've been updating and playing for months with no issues).

And still no luck.

Is there anything you can suggest I take for the next steps in this?

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2018, 18:10
Is there anything you can suggest I take for the next steps in this?
Even if you’ve been running OK for months, computers change - software, settings, etc. get updated all the time. Something's changed somewhere in your network - either on your computer or on your router. Some more suggestions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45318-this-app-can-t-run-on-your-PC-error

MoonRacer
September 2nd, 2018, 19:18
Even if you’ve been running OK for months, computers change - software, settings, etc. get updated all the time. Something's changed somewhere in your network - either on your computer or on your router. Some more suggestions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45318-this-app-can-t-run-on-your-PC-error

I have literally tried every step in that thread. Any new advice since I've already stated in previous posts that I've done all of that?

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2018, 19:49
I have literally tried every step in that thread. Any new advice since I've already stated in previous posts that I've done all of that?
Something on your network is blocking communication to the FG server.

As you've seen in those threads, it's very often something that has been overlooked, thought was done, wasn't working as expected, etc.. So, I'm sorry to say, it's a case of checking and double checking. AV/Security apps can seem to be disabled but only disable some things, not all. If you have exceptions set - remove them and re-add them. If you have any filtering on your Internet router, remove that and reboot the router.

Why don't you tell us what your network architecture is? What security apps you have installed (even the one's you've disabled), what filtering/content restrictions are on your Internet router/s (you may have more than one), etc., etc.. I'm sorry to have to ask all this, but just telling us you've don't everything in those threads, doesn't really allow us to give further advice...

MoonRacer
September 2nd, 2018, 21:20
Windows 10 Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Windows Firewall (permissions set)
Avast AV (manually disabled to attempt to install/update)
Network is hard-line in, not Wifi and network is set to private
Line in from router Arris SBR-AC3200P which is connected to the modem which is an Arris SB8200.

It may also be worth noting the following two things:
1: I am able to ping and get responses to the patch server
2: Attached is the connection info after troubleshooting the connection with Wireshark. I removed my pwhash for obvious reasons.

So it looks like we are getting a malformed response from the patch.fantasygrounds.com server.

P.S. I live with a professional network administrator who has helped me get the results from troubleshooting the connection.

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2018, 21:36
Are you saying that you are using Windows Defender and Avast? Avast should disable Windows defender but if that is still active then that will likely cause all sorts of conflicts and issues. With Windows Defender especially make sure that there aren't multiple rules. If there are then delete them all and set a new one. However as I said you don't need WD and Avast running at the same time. I would suggest therefore disabling WD (if Avast hasn't already done so).

As noted above switching off or disabling AV does not necessarily completely switch it off. You would have to completely uninstall it and reboot to make sure that there is nothing around to interfere with your connection. So I'd suggest that instead of switching it off that you create a rule for FG (for the entire install folder). If there exists a rule then delete it and create a new one (When FG updates it is often the case that because of changes to the checksum the AV thinks that the updated program is a new program altogether). As Trenloe mentioned above if everything was working before then the culprits are your network being set to public or your AV or some other thing between you and the internet has decided that it doesn't like FG any more becasue it has changed..

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2018, 21:42
2: Attached is the connection info after troubleshooting the connection with Wireshark. I removed my pwhash for obvious reasons.

So it looks like we are getting a malformed response from the patch.fantasygrounds.com server.
OK, so from the few snippets in that file, the response to a login request is "failure". Whether that is just a general failure, or an actual login failure I don't know.

Try this. Please do the following steps exactly, even if you've done this before.
1) Start FG and click the "Settings" button.
2) On the Settings window click the "Manage" button in the purchase frame.
3) On the "Fantasy Grounds Account" window that appears, click the "Clear" button.
4) Re-enter your user name and password after pressing Clear.
5) Click login. Make sure there are no errors. If you are returned to the Settings window, then the login has been successful - and you should see your username in the "Purchases Login" field, greyed out.
6) Click "OK" to close the Settings window.
7) Click "Update" in the update window.

MoonRacer
September 5th, 2018, 19:56
1: I would love to start FG but I ca6nt even get it reinstalled at this point.

I am sorry I am frustrated.

I have windows defender turned off. I've tried it with AVast completely disabled and my router in DMZplus mode.

The only other thing in my end that could be causing it is the ISP. I doubt Comcast is blocking the connection.