PDA

View Full Version : Starfinder AP: The Reach of Empire Sun Sept 9 @ 8pm EST

Talen
August 30th, 2018, 01:09
Sunday September 9, 2018 8pm –11pm EST (Weekly Campaign)

An ancient, crashed starship on a new Pact Worlds colony in the Vast draws the attention of the sinister Azlanti Star Empire, who invade and annex the colony, remove an experimental starship drive from the crash site, and kidnap one of the colonists. The heroes must liberate the colony from Azlanti occupation before venturing inside the mysterious Star Empire, in search of both the experimental drive and the kidnapped colonist, who is an old friend of the heroes. Will the heroes rescue their friend and keep the drive out of Azlanti hands, or will the might of the Azlanti Star Empire crush them as it has so many others who have stood against the Aeon Throne?

This will be an unrestricted campaign, however I will be providing Starfinder Society Chronicles for those that are interested.

If you would like to play in this game, please be sure to apply on the calendar AND post your interest in this forum thread. Newcomers are always welcome, I have pregens and can assist with setting you up in Fantasy Grounds or Starfinder Society.

Game Calendar https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3177

This game is currently full

Nainakra
August 31st, 2018, 01:35
What does it mean unrestricted campaign?

stephan_
August 31st, 2018, 15:32
I'm only guessing but I'm assuming:

"Campaign Mode: For sanctioned Adventure Paths, GMs are
allowed to use their own rules for character creation and running
the presented content (the entire book or series). Credit is applied
to an appropriate Roleplaying Guild character as if the character
created were a pregenerated character."

as opposed to
"Event Mode: Starfnder Society Roleplaying Guild characters
are the only characters allowed. All Roleplaying Guild rules must
be followed. Most playable products only give credit to legal
Roleplaying Guild characters."

p. 11 SFS Guide

So probably any (reaonable) characters allowed (not only SFS legal ones) but you could apply it to SFS characters.

Be aware of " Until applicable Chronicle sheets are handed out, these characters may not be used in any other Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild event." however

Nainakra
August 31st, 2018, 20:10
Thanks Stephan I tried going to Paizo to search but the site was down again. Not worried about tying up a character doing the commencement next Saturday with a fresh 702 and no plans to use it for a while afterwards. If I need a low lvl before it comes out of lockdown I'll just create a 703.

Talen
August 31st, 2018, 22:56
I'm only guessing but I'm assuming:

"Campaign Mode: For sanctioned Adventure Paths, GMs are
allowed to use their own rules for character creation and running
the presented content (the entire book or series). Credit is applied
to an appropriate Roleplaying Guild character as if the character
created were a pregenerated character."

as opposed to
"Event Mode: Starfnder Society Roleplaying Guild characters
are the only characters allowed. All Roleplaying Guild rules must
be followed. Most playable products only give credit to legal
Roleplaying Guild characters."

p. 11 SFS Guide

So probably any (reaonable) characters allowed (not only SFS legal ones) but you could apply it to SFS characters.

Be aware of " Until applicable Chronicle sheets are handed out, these characters may not be used in any other Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild event." however

correct - ill be running in campaign mode meaning you wont be using your society pc’s but will get a chronicle at the end to apply to any society pc if you are so interested.

Nainakra
September 1st, 2018, 00:46
Are there any limitations on which source books we can use for character creation? I have a few concepts I could develop depending on which sources I can use.

Talen
September 1st, 2018, 02:23
All open, just give me the heads up so I can familiarize myself with the rules.

jgreishaw
September 1st, 2018, 05:47
All open, just give me the heads up so I can familiarize myself with the rules.

Character’s starting at level 1?

Talen
September 1st, 2018, 12:18
Yep. Level 1. It's a 3 book adventure path.

mrfishes
September 1st, 2018, 12:37
Hi Talen,
I would be interested in joining. I take my daughter to bed at 8pm so I would be about 5-10 minutes late for the session..if this is ok let me know
I am fine with taking a pregen.
I am familiar with FG but not overly familiar with the starfinder rules and was hoping to learn them better
I do play pathfinder society so no problem joining the starfinder society.
I will also sign up on your calendar
let me know if you have any questions

jgreishaw
September 1st, 2018, 23:24
correct - ill be running in campaign mode meaning you wont be using your society pc’s but will get a chronicle at the end to apply to any society pc if you are so interested.

To clarify; the leveling will be done using the corebook level xp chart and not the society method correct (i.e. we will need 1300xp vs 3 xp to get to level 2). How will the chronicle work out? Each session of the campaign would provide rewards (credits/xp/fame/& rep)to one of our society characters equivalent to a society scenario?

Talen
September 2nd, 2018, 02:06
Leveling by core rules. The chronicles awarded at the end of each book. I don't believe they have the chronicles sanctioned yet, but if they follow the same method as the last AP, you'll get 5 xp at the end of each book.

One more point of order, you will be able to create your own party ship for the first scenario so give some thought into how you want to build it. We can finalize once we have the full party signed up. We have four players as of this post.

DMReckless
September 3rd, 2018, 23:39
I'm interested, time works for me. more details to follow.

astrazoan scholar-themed operative (spy) good for pilot or gunner, ship's doctor?

Samarex
September 4th, 2018, 09:47
Hi All, I will be joining this game, Talen gladly offer to DM something for me so I can get some actual play time in the Rule Set.

For those that don't know I did a lot of the Ruleset design of Starfinders conversion to Fantasy Grounds and converted most the source books.
(I don't convert AP's so I have no clue whats in this.)

So I will be taking notes here and there for things I need to look at or features that need added in. (Anything minus Star-ships.)

Samarex Lvl 1 Android Mechanic (Exo) Roboticist from Aballon.
Primary Role Eng.

Talen
September 4th, 2018, 12:28
If anyone has their characters in FG format already please post them or otherwise send to me so I can familiarize myself with them for the game. I will have a ship for you for the first session - but feel free to talk among yourselves to design the ship. The group in the calendar is the full team at this time. Ill open up a discord channel; later today so that you can chat in real time if you wish.

Samarex
September 4th, 2018, 13:36
If anyone has their characters in FG format already please post them or otherwise send to me so I can familiarize myself with them for the game.

Here ya go Samarex
I need to fill in his Note Tab just remembered

mrfishes
September 4th, 2018, 15:43
Hi Talan,
I would just like to play the pregen Solarian that you mentioned you had already. I see that at 1st level I get to choose 2 class skills so please add Computers and Culture as my class skills. Please remove the 1 skill point from Acrobatics and Athletics and add the skill points to Computers and Culture respectively. Then I will play the character as is..name of Jake

Thanks

Talen
September 4th, 2018, 15:54
Will do

DMReckless
September 4th, 2018, 16:12
I have a FG character started, I'll finish and post when I get home tonight.

chrisnhurd
September 4th, 2018, 22:28
I would love to get in on this game if there is room for one more. I am new to Starfinder but familiar with the rules so I don't think it will be an issue.

I don't have a particular character concept locked down yet so I am happy to fill any role that the party needs.

Talen
September 5th, 2018, 01:05
Chris, you are in - and with that -we are booked solid at 6 players.

jgreishaw
September 5th, 2018, 23:17
If anyone has their characters in FG format already please post them or otherwise send to me so I can familiarize myself with them for the game. I will have a ship for you for the first session - but feel free to talk among yourselves to design the ship. The group in the calendar is the full team at this time. Ill open up a discord channel; later today so that you can chat in real time if you wish.

Here you go....

Nainakra
September 6th, 2018, 02:04
I am working on a mystic.

Talen
September 6th, 2018, 11:53
The FG and Discord servers are up and ruinning with PC's loaded if anyone wants to get the initial connection out of the way and test their PC's out. I should have the server up most of the time between now and gameday.

Talen
September 6th, 2018, 12:23
Unless you have a ship in mind, Ive prepped one to start you off - we need a ship name and a ship captain - what say the group?

mrfishes
September 6th, 2018, 22:19
I was hoping to be Science Officer so will pass on the Captain for now. My proposed name is the Jolly Wayfarer

Also I will just throw this out there for when we design our own ship I would like at least a life science lab so I can do my studies..plus a slushie machine, I love those things!!

Thanks

Mentalic
September 7th, 2018, 05:49
I am interested and the time works for me. I am new to SF but am an experienced roleplayer.

Talen
September 7th, 2018, 08:50
Datalore, we are a full party at the moment, but I will post if an opening occurs.

chrisnhurd
September 8th, 2018, 20:42
Looks like all of the classes except soldier and envoy are represented, so I decided to whip up a soldier to add some ranged firepower. I am still happy to switch it up if there is a different role that would be more useful.

Samarex
September 9th, 2018, 00:04
I have a question for everyone,
I am having major issues with my Internet Service Provider, Im only getting 2 Mbps DL speed. I have spent 3 weeks now trying tio get it fixed with no luck.
I dont believe that this will be enough to connect with FG and Discord and it be stable for the game session.
We are going Monday to have a second ISP connected to the house that will be dedicated to my PC.
So the question is would they group mind pushing out the starting session 1 week to give me time to get a stable internet installed.
If yes, this weeks session could be used for everyone to connect to the server, and go over Characters, Ship Hash out Roles and everthing so that the system will be locked and loaded for the starting session.

As a bonus if we do this there is a chance that the new 1.0.12 ruleset and Armory will be out by then. I just got the last part of supporting software I needed to finish these, so I can work to get them out to the system.

Nainakra
September 9th, 2018, 01:18
I don't have a problem with that.

mrfishes
September 9th, 2018, 01:57
I don't mind pushing out a week..just let me know if we are going to have a bit of a session, like was suggested, meet our characters, work on a ship etc and then be good to go for the following week.
Up to Talen though.

Thanks

Samarex
September 9th, 2018, 01:58
As a bonus if we do this there is a chance that the new 1.0.12 ruleset and Armory will be out by then. I just got the last part of supporting software I needed to finish these, so I can work to get them out to the system.

Well the new supporting software is not really what I was hoping it would be, so got to hash out to get it changed some. So the above probably won't be ready then.

DMReckless
September 9th, 2018, 03:40
I'm good with that if it's what's needed. I lived a long time with poor isp issues w FG to know how frustrating it is and how much better it is now w better isp.

Talen
September 9th, 2018, 04:14
I’m ok with using tomorrow as a session 0. Will also help iron out ship roles and make build decisions for your ship.

mrfishes
September 9th, 2018, 16:29
I will be there tonight.
Talen, are we using 55pts to build a ship as we are all 1st level?
Let me know so I can check out the ship building rules and get a few ideas.

Thanks

Talen
September 9th, 2018, 16:46
If you are building one from the ground up yes. However - the adventure does state you can use a Kevolari Venture or Starhive Drone Mk III as a a replacement that you can rename. Both of those start with more build points. So: your options are to build your own at 55 BP or take the Kevolari or Starhive ships and give it your own backstory.

mrfishes
September 9th, 2018, 20:09
I checked out both and I would vote for the Kevolari Venture..it comes with a physical science lab so I hope we can change that to a Life Science lab but otherwise it looks good to me.

See you all tonight

Talen
September 10th, 2018, 10:47
Our next session is on September 16 and has been updated in the calendar along with updated character names and ship roles. This session will be our episode 1.

GM LOG:
You are all crew members of The Exodus, a merchant ship currently transporting a load of supplies on behalf of Abadarcorp to the colony world of Nakondis. The colony's head aministrator, a lashunta priest of Abadar named Madelon Kesi, has contracted with you to deliver the supplies in exchange for 4,000 credits upon delivery to Madelon's Landing on Nakondis. As it turns out, each of you has made the acquaintance of an Android named Cedona who retired to the colony and you looking forward to catching up upon completing your contract.

The Exodus Crew:
Tasabu: an Astrozan Operative and Captain of the Exodus
Aeon-3T: Android Technomancer Pilot
JK [Jake]: Kasatha Solarian Science Officer
Samarex: Android Mechanic and Engineer
Khor: Maraquoi Mystic Gunner
Quinn Orson: Human Soldier Gunner

Samarex
September 11th, 2018, 09:12
Our next session is on September 16 and has been updated in the calendar along with updated character names and ship roles. This session will be our episode 1.

GM LOG:
You are all crew members of The Exodus, a merchant ship currently transporting a load of supplies on behalf of Abadarcorp to the colony world of Nakondis. The colony's head aministrator, a lashunta priest of Abadar named Madelon Kesi, has contracted with you to deliver the supplies in exchange for 4,000 credits upon delivery to Madelon's Landing on Nakondis. As it turns out, each of you has made the acquaintance of an Android named Cedona who retired to the colony and you looking forward to catching up upon completing your contract.

The Exodus Crew:
Tasabu: an Astrozan Operative and Captain of the Exodus
Aeon-3T: Android Technomancer Pilot
JK [Jake]: Kasatha Solarian Science Officer
Samarex: Android Mechanic and Engineer
Khor: Maraquoi Mystic Gunner
Quinn Orson: Human Soldier Gunner

Ok All Im good to go.....
Got new ISP installed today comes in at 20Mbps DL 3Mbps UL so good and solid.
I know those might not sound High speeds to you all in the states. But this is the Philippines (not the best internet in the world)

Talen
September 14th, 2018, 04:11
Looking forward to it Samarex. As a reminder - we are on for our kickoff session 1 on Sunday!

Talen
September 16th, 2018, 13:04
Server will be up up all day for those that want to tweak their PC's before game time.

Samarex
September 16th, 2018, 22:54
Server will be up up all day for those that want to tweak their PC's before game time.

Talen can you add this to portraits please

Talen
September 17th, 2018, 00:30
Game time in 30 minutes
(Samarex, looks like you are all set on the portrait)

Talen
September 23rd, 2018, 21:16
Game time tonite at 8pm est!

Talen
September 30th, 2018, 12:20
Reminder: Game time tonite at 8pm est! PC's (assuming you survive your ill-advised assault on the garrison ( :) ) should reach level 2 today. Also, at some point, your ship will be upgraded to tier 2. That means you will have 20 build points to upgrade the Exodus. If upgrading an existing system, you pay the difference in BP between the existing and the upgraded system. Keep in mind, you have Pulse Gray power core so you are currently maxed out on your PCU of 100 when all systems are running.

Talen
October 1st, 2018, 11:37
In consideration of your Tier 2 buildout, here is your existing Tier 1 capability:

The Exodus

Medium explorer
Speed 6; Maneuverability good (turn 1); Drift 1
AC 14; TL 12
HP 55; DT n/a; CT 11
Shields Basic 20 (forward 5, port 5, starboard 5, aft 5)
Attack (Forward) light laser cannon (2d4)
Attack (Turret) high explosive missile launcher (4d8)
Power Core(s) Pulse Gray (100 PCU); Drift Engine Signal Basic; Systems budget medium-range sensors, crew quarters (common), mk 3 armor, mk 1 defences, basic computer (tier 1); Expansion Bays science lab (life), cargo hold (3)
Modifiers +2 Piloting; Complement 7

Samarex
October 1st, 2018, 22:58
In consideration of your Tier 2 buildout, here is your existing Tier 1 capability:

The Exodus

Medium explorer
Speed 6; Maneuverability good (turn 1); Drift 1
AC 14; TL 12
HP 55; DT n/a; CT 11
Shields Basic 20 (forward 5, port 5, starboard 5, aft 5)
Attack (Forward) light laser cannon (2d4)
Attack (Turret) high explosive missile launcher (4d8)
Power Core(s) Pulse Gray (100 PCU); Drift Engine Signal Basic; Systems budget medium-range sensors, crew quarters (common), mk 3 armor, mk 1 defences, basic computer (tier 1); Expansion Bays science lab (life), cargo hold (3)
Modifiers +2 Piloting; Complement 7

Not sure what the Captian has in mind, but I would suggest switching the weapon positions if possible. That would put a weapon that dont require ammo on the turret. The big hitter missles would be a FWD Arc which would be ok. This way when we run out of missle we stll have a turret weapon.

chrisnhurd
October 2nd, 2018, 19:41
I went over the starship construction rules last night and here were my thoughts on the upgrade:

Upgrade forward weapon mount to heavy (4 BP 0 PCU)
Upgrade light laser cannon to heavy laser cannon (6 BP 5 PCU)
Upgrade shields from Basic 20 to Light 70 (7 BP 15 PCU)
Upgrade power core from Pulse Grey to Pulse Black (2 BP +20 PCU output)
1 extra BP

This buffs the laser from 2d4 (short) to 4d8 (medium). This seem like the best bang (pew?) for our buck on offense and means we have a hard hitting weapon that won’t run out of ammo. The shields seem like the best deal defensively. We could also go with +1 AC (6 BP) if we if we go with Basic 40 shields (2 BP and 5 PCU) and a smaller power core needed (1 BP and +10 PCU).

If we put the heavy mount in the turret as Samarex suggested it would cost an extra 2 BP (it is more expensive to upgrade the turret mount) so we could go with the Light 60 shields and still have 1 BP and 5 PCU left over.

mrfishes
October 3rd, 2018, 15:45
I went over the starship construction rules last night and here were my thoughts on the upgrade:

Upgrade forward weapon mount to heavy (4 BP 0 PCU)
Upgrade light laser cannon to heavy laser cannon (6 BP 5 PCU)
Upgrade shields from Basic 20 to Light 70 (7 BP 15 PCU)
Upgrade power core from Pulse Grey to Pulse Black (2 BP +20 PCU output)
1 extra BP

This buffs the laser from 2d4 (short) to 4d8 (medium). This seem like the best bang (pew?) for our buck on offense and means we have a hard hitting weapon that won’t run out of ammo. The shields seem like the best deal defensively. We could also go with +1 AC (6 BP) if we if we go with Basic 40 shields (2 BP and 5 PCU) and a smaller power core needed (1 BP and +10 PCU).

If we put the heavy mount in the turret as Samarex suggested it would cost an extra 2 BP (it is more expensive to upgrade the turret mount) so we could go with the Light 60 shields and still have 1 BP and 5 PCU left over.

I agree with the above. I would suggest the 60 shields and heavy mount the turret as suggested. With the 1BP left over should we consider upgrading the computer to help with a skill roll?

Talen
October 7th, 2018, 13:03
Gameday tonight at 8pm. Ill post a summary of prior session Discord sometime today as well.

Samarex
October 7th, 2018, 14:14
Looking forward to it. {I can use a short break}
I have spent ALL weekend pounding away at the Armory conversion. I have ALL the data input and the Reference Manual is almost done minus, just got to do some clean up here and there and then get the rest of the Weapon images tagged with the Descriptions and it will be ready to send up for review. And I am hoping to have the few issues with the ruleset ironed out and ready when it Armory comes back from review.
So it should be coming out soon.....

Talen
October 19th, 2018, 12:34
After the brief FG Con Break, Gamedays resume in a couple days on Sunday the 21st at 8 pm EST!

Talen
November 18th, 2018, 16:15
Sorry for the confusion with the last post. I've updated the calendar as well: We will be starting Book 2 of the Reach Of Empire Trilogy next week November 25 at 8 pm EST.

mrfishes
November 18th, 2018, 23:52
I will be there!!!

Samarex
November 19th, 2018, 00:38
All good...

Talen
November 25th, 2018, 13:22
Server is up now through game time if anyone wants to tweak their PC's. Remember - everyone is 3rd level.

Talen
November 29th, 2018, 02:11
I didn't realize the AP has been sanctioned for some time (its not on the Additional Resources Tab at the Paizo site, but rather on the product landing page). I will put those together before our next game.

jgreishaw
November 29th, 2018, 02:17
I didn't realize the AP has been sanctioned for some time (its not on the Additional Resources Tab at the Paizo site, but rather on the product landing page). I will put those together before our next game.

Very nice! Can you post the current ship stats too, so we can decide on possible upgrades per our last session discussion?