PDA

View Full Version : PCGen Output Sheet

DarkStar
June 11th, 2006, 19:40
Allright, I promised I would post my output sheet. The original thread was placed in the Guild House, which doesn't seem like a proper place to go. Based on forum descriptions I decided to drop it here, in Armory.

Please note, that this is a work in progress and is far from complete, but there are enough coders and XML enthusiasts here, to hope that somebody might pick it up and carry on. I have stopped working on this, due to lack of time or simply laziness. ;)

I think that NPC output sheets would be more useful, but I started with (player) character sheet, because it felt appropriate.

There are spells in the sheet, because I used a sorcerer character of one of my players as a template. The Output Sheet is really the same XML file as used by Fantasy Grounds, only with PCGen tokens and some loops. What I have working so far are: main page, skills page, some inventory. I think I did Feats, as well, but am too lazy to look it up now. ;D

Here's the output sheet (https://www.krakowiacy.info/csheet_FantasyGrounds.xml). And an example character (https://www.krakowiacy.info/Coenred.xml), generated with it. It is instantly useful with both d20 and d20-SRD rulesets, even with my charsheet mod (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4188). Just place the XML file in [path to PCGen]\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml folder.

Enjoy and please, tell me what you think. Tell me if you intend to work with it and most of all - post your modifications here, so whole community can benefit from our joint effort.

Thanks!

rabbit
June 11th, 2006, 23:05
Ah OK, so you didn't write a loop to lookup allt he spells. That's the part I have done. I guess the next bit is to capture the non-named skills, I'll work on that. You did eveyrthing else pretty much exactly how Id done it.

rabbit
June 14th, 2006, 18:28
OK, Here ya go (https://www.rabbitcave.com/library/csheet_FantasyGrounds.xml).

This is essentially complete and I believe bug free. It will populate every default field for FantasyGrounds. A few notes:

1: For Gold etc. to populate, you need to purchase the coins inside PCGen. It doesn't bick up the 'value' lines, it counts the actual gold, silver, etc... Inventory items now display correctly and remove coins, and track ammunition.

2: All spells should now work, including casters with two casting classes. DCs should work correctly for the primary class. For Cleric spells, it does not add the +1 domain spell in your spells/day as FG cannot display "6+1" which is the standard way of representing it. Domain spells are listed twice when they are both normal and domain, the duplicates should be at the top of each spell list.

3: For skills, you need to manually remove the precursors in order to legibly see the subtype (E.g Profession (Botanist) will come in just like that, so you will need to (in FG) go in and delete "Profession" in order to see "Botanist")

4: For skills, anything NOT currently picked up by FG is lost. If you have some skill not on the default list, it doesn't magically get captured elsewhere.

5: Special and Racial abilities are combined in the Special Abilities section.

6: All Feats now work and display full descriptions. This will be very crampt if you aren't using an expanded charsheet like Darkstars.

7: Description now carries over.

8: Attack bonuses now track for multiple attacks at higher levels. Should pick up flurry of blows correctly. AC Bonuses now track so that FG doesn't double count things like Dex. AC bonuses from things like Rings of Protection carry in as "misc."

9: All encumbrance and carried weight now tracks.

10: All the tokens in PCGen have been updated to current non-depracated 5.101rc1 version, cleaning up a bunch of non-fatal errors.

So, there you have it. Drop it in your PCGen\outputsheets\d20\fantasy folder and export to your Fantasy Grounds\Characters\*ruleset*\ folder and you're good to go!

If you find an error or a miss, please post it.

Thanks to Darkstar for filling in a lot of blanks.

DarkStar
June 14th, 2006, 18:42
Woohoo! See, it has been hanging in PCGen request tracker for months now, while it could be done in merely a few days, provided you have somebody to do the work and he has the time. ;)

Thanks. Do you think there's anything more left to do? Yeah, there's "complete" written here, but is anything complete, really? Even C-SRD is Mostly Complete SRD. :D

Somebody should contact PCGen guys about it? The world will end before they code it.

rabbit
June 14th, 2006, 22:52
The only thing left, that I would love to be able to do, are a few GREP things. I'd like to be able to strip the Base Skill () from things like Knowledge (Arcana) so they show right. I'd like to have some place to put skills not in the default list (I could do it in Special Abilities I guess, or something.) It would be fun to take the 20 or so fields PCGen uses for description and concatenate into one big Description variable, but there's just no way to do complex string management that I can see.

For all intents and purposes, I think this is done done done.

Frankly, I was reluctant to write a giant hack for that if we have 2.0 coming soon.

I'll post this link to the PCGen board. I really do think it's mostly complete.

rabbit
June 15th, 2006, 16:04
FYI: The PCGen team submitted a request to the SmiteWorks guys (if you are reading) to include the FG template I (and Darkstar) worked up in the next release.

If you guys say yes, I'll give you a donut.

Callum
June 15th, 2006, 16:17
So, there you have it. Drop it in your PCGen\outputsheets\d20\fantasy folder and export to your Fantasy Grounds\Characters\*ruleset*\ folder and you're good to go!
Thanks for this, rabbit! But I don't have a Fantasy Grounds\Characters folder! Am I being dumb?

rabbit
June 15th, 2006, 17:01
Go make a character locally, then save it. It will make a directory for you... most likely something like character/d20-srd/charname.xml

You can, if you like, then take the XML and manually paste it into a campaign xml file, or just go ahead and use the local character.

Ged
June 15th, 2006, 17:02
FYI: The PCGen team submitted a request to the SmiteWorks guys (if you are reading) to include the FG template I (and Darkstar) worked up in the next release.

If you guys say yes, I'll give you a donut.

Ok, now you owe me a donut :D

rabbit
June 15th, 2006, 19:47
I'll be right over.

DarkStar
June 15th, 2006, 20:35
Good. Now we need something to make NPCs. Fantasy Grounds' NPC sheets are not so advanced as PC sheets, I think you could drop feats and abilities in those little boxes (at least they resize) w/o descriptions, using a loop.

rabbit
June 15th, 2006, 22:37
But PCGen is a pretty crappy way to manage NPCs. Didn't someone write up an NPC generator?

DarkStar
June 15th, 2006, 22:49
But PCGen is a pretty crappy way to manage NPCs. Didn't someone write up an NPC generator?
Nothing free which would export data to FG format, as far as I know. NPC Designer (or what was it called?) exports XML, but it's a commercial app you have to pay for.

Kinda odd, we are discussing this sheet between us. I thought there was more interest in it across the community...

Sleestak
June 16th, 2006, 03:41
Hmmm... I'm looking at the output sheet, and most of the xml tags just have 0 (zero) as their value, instead of a valid PCGen tag :confused:. When I use it to export my PCGen characters, the characters end up with all zeroes when opened in FG ... :(

Sleestak
June 16th, 2006, 04:16
PCGen outputs my character just fine. However, after I open it in FG, the output file is trashed -- everything is zero. I noticed that the root tag's version attribute ended up as 15, I changed it to 1.05 to match characters made natively in FG, but it didn't make any difference -- it still trashed my file.

Sleestak
June 16th, 2006, 04:24
A familiar ended up exporting with the stats of its owner ...

Sleestak
June 16th, 2006, 04:38
Problem found. The node nested immediately under <node name="charsheet">, containing a short version of the character's name, cannot have spaces in it. I manually edited the output file and shortened it up, and then it opened just fine in FG. The value for this tag should probably map from the PCGen character's "tab" name, not their full name. Still, that doesn't guarantee no spaces ...

DarkStar
June 16th, 2006, 07:38
I haven't run into this error, because I always use one word character names. ;) Well, it's another Fantasy Grounds limitation, I bet you noticed how names are cut under the portraits and you can't have spaces in them, so for example, in my campaign I have SanynAsarathali instead of Sanyn Asarathali.

The rule is - if you want to prepare a FG character in PCGen - have FG's limitations in mind and comply with them.

If you look in the XML, you will notice that you can't have more than three classes, you can't have more than four weapons, etc. Those are all FG limitations.

Sigurd
June 16th, 2006, 09:22
If you look in the XML, you will notice that you can't have more than three classes, you can't have more than four weapons, etc. Those are all FG limitations.

You are right of course, but it seems uncharitably said. :)

These are the limitations of the current character sheet? Right? Is there a proceedure for overcoming these limitations on a custom sheet?

Sigurd

kalmarjan
June 16th, 2006, 13:23
If you need to have a space in between your names for your characters, one workaround is to use the "_" key. So your characters name would be Sanyn_Asarathali. IIRC, this is not a limitation with xml, more of a limitation and a "best practice" with C++.

Same thing goes for filenames as well.

It is not a breaker for FG, but if you put that space line in there, you will not have any weird happenings with FG.

Sandeman

rabbit
June 16th, 2006, 14:08
The data model isn't dictated by the Character Sheet, it's the other way around. THere's all sorts of stuff PCGen *can* output that FG can't read correctly. We're limited by what FG wants to see from us.

The One word name thing, honestly was assumed on my part for the same reason! There's no way to insert logic that will break a name, short of doing the most horrible STRLEN command. That won't find the space, it would just cut the string down to like 5 characters or something. "Tom Obedlam" would still break it.

I suppose you could simply not have PCGen export the name at all, but that seems weak.

Haplo
June 17th, 2006, 09:54
Amazing work guys... really well done! :)

Haplo
June 18th, 2006, 09:35
Wondering if anyone else had this problem:

If your character has inate spells, for example a gnome has dancing lights, ghost sound, etc., it will only add those spells into the spell list. None the druid spells get added.

Same thing happend with a church inquisitor template.. only added his special ability spells (Detect Evil)..

Anyway to get the export to add all spells?

rabbit
June 18th, 2006, 15:21
I'll see what I can do on that. I hadn't tried every possible combination of course, which is precisely why I needed testers. Can you post your PCG files somewhere so I can use the same source? There are tokens for innate spells specifically, so I can probably work that out.

Would you want them to list in ahead of spellbook spells?

On Druids - are you saying that no druid spells of ANY kind get added?

Haplo
June 19th, 2006, 01:10
I think it's just grabbing the first set of spells available.. If I setup a Human Druid, it would pick up the spells but a gnome has a few innate spells before the full list so it only grabs the innate spells...

Not sure how I can add the PCG file but you can email me at [email protected] and I will email you whatever you need.. :)

rabbit
June 20th, 2006, 01:33
I think that's all I need, I will work on a gnome druid...

{{EDIT}} Fixed. You can download the new sheet at the same location...

https://www.rabbitcave.com/library/csheet_FantasyGrounds.xml

Spells now carry the class/source ahead of their description like this:

(Druid) Cast amazing things for 1d6 rounds until your head explodes.

Haplo
June 20th, 2006, 08:08
Thanks Rabbit!

Did I mention that your roxers? hehe well my crew is testing the sheet and they've actually started writing a list of things that can be adjusted/fixed but they all love it and appreciate the work you're putting in!

I'll compile the list, get rid of the "whining" and post tomorrow for you guys.. Dark you kick hiney too ;)

Haplo
June 20th, 2006, 08:28
Hey.. was just fiddling with the new update, not sure if it's something with the character I have but when I export it, it's not closing off the ROOT or 3 NODE 's.

Error that it comes up with is:

Error on line 0. Found "The following tags were not closed: ROOT, NODE, NODE, NODE." While expecting "".

I tried it on 2 different characters that had innate spells and same error. Also tried it on a regular character and same error. Looks like it's missing a bit of code at the end or is it running out of room? It's like the entire end of the script is not exporting for some reason.. capacity problem?

Too duplicate on your end.. make a lvl 6 or 7 Gnome Druid...

It's missing everything after:

<intvalue name="prepared">0</intvalue>
</node>
|ENDFOR| |ENDFOR| |ENDFOR| |ENDFOR|
</node>

rabbit
June 20th, 2006, 13:41
I'm wondering if it's timing out... I'll play with it.

{{Edit: I absolutely cannot duplicate this, I've tried everything I could think of. First off, try downloading the script again, perhaps there's actual corruption. Second, if you can email me the actual character file . It should be at C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5101rc1\PCGen5101rc1\characters or you can just save it to desktop. Send to rabbitAtrabbitcaveDOTcom,,,

Haplo
June 22nd, 2006, 03:23
Email sent! :)

I double checked to make sure what I downloaded wasn't corrupt and it's not. I thought it may be timing out as well but not sure...

Sorry for the work! :)

Haplo
July 5th, 2006, 07:27
Hey Rabbit!

Any luck??

Hap

rabbit
July 6th, 2006, 04:10
As I think we've tossed back and forth in email, I think this is a custom dataset problem, I'll ping you with a place to send me stuff soon.

bland
August 12th, 2006, 01:36
It is instantly useful with both d20 and d20-SRD rulesets, even with my charsheet mod (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4188). Just place the XML file in [path to PCGen]\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml folder.

Thanks for taking the time to make something so useful! I have a (hopefully) fast question: how do I actually "install" the output so that it shows up in FG?

I'm pretty new to the software and I'm still trying to figure out how to do things, but this output sheet of yours would really make job easier. But I don't know what to do with it; I read that it needs to be pasted into the appropriate campaign.xml sheet but at what point?

If I should be posting this question elsewhere in the forums I'll apologize in advance, I didn't see any HOW-TOs posted anywhere. If someone could give me some pointers that would be great!

bland
August 12th, 2006, 03:07
I'm pretty new to the software and I'm still trying to figure out how to do things, but this output sheet of yours would really make job easier. But I don't know what to do with it; I read that it needs to be pasted into the appropriate campaign.xml sheet but at what point?

Whoa, hit the forums a little too fast! I just figured it out, please ignore that post.

And thanks again for making this output sheet, it's a total time-saver. :-)

Matamata
August 15th, 2006, 20:01
Rabit where you able to fix the Root Node close issue taht Hap was having with the output sheet? I tried your down load last night and was running into the same problem that Hap had. Is there anything I can do to assist in the trouble shooting?

Thanks for the help.

Matamata
August 18th, 2006, 21:36
Rabbit, Which version of PCGen are you using for your output file?

Thanks

Haplo
August 23rd, 2006, 07:40
Well I kinda got it workin after fiddling... don't think it's a dataset problem though although it may be, not 100%...

The problem is with the SPELL FOR loop... when it exits that last FOR, it stops and doesn't add the last 3 nodes and the root... I moved that SPELL for loop to the end and it gets all the spells perfectly, just misses those last 3....

If I move those 3 inside the last FOR then it posts them but not if they are outside... hope you guys are following but let me know if not.