PDA

View Full Version : PSI Abilities?

LordNanoc
August 29th, 2018, 10:17
How do you play Psionics in FG? Right now, there is no base characteristic you could enter, so I am unsure how to roll with it (pun intended)

Elvedui
September 1st, 2018, 15:28
Yes please add Psi as a stat. All the versions of traveler have it, but this doesn't yet and I would be helpful to run the game.

MadBeardMan
September 2nd, 2018, 11:28
How do you play Psionics in FG? Right now, there is no base characteristic you could enter, so I am unsure how to roll with it (pun intended)

Hello,

I started adding PSI to the original release but it caused a number of issues, for example PSI ability is a nice simple stat, but the PSI abilities are in schools, with each ability being part of that school. I did say I'll come back this once I've addressed all the main content, I'm working on Starships at the moment, but that's going to take some time, so could come back to PSI.

Let me re-think it all, cheers,
MBM

Elvedui
September 2nd, 2018, 13:30
Even just adding a place holder to put the psi stat would be helpful. You don't need to implement full functionality yet, but I would like to be able to capture the basic skills on the character sheet at least. For example under the main stats you could have Psi for Psi strength. Under skills we could be Awareness or Telempathy which would draw on the Psi stat. The talents underneath each school I would live with later functionality.

MadBeardMan
September 3rd, 2018, 20:24
Even just adding a place holder to put the psi stat would be helpful. You don't need to implement full functionality yet, but I would like to be able to capture the basic skills on the character sheet at least. For example under the main stats you could have Psi for Psi strength. Under skills we could be Awareness or Telempathy which would draw on the Psi stat. The talents underneath each school I would live with later functionality.

I'll dig out the code I wrote for the PSI stuff, that brings it in as a characteristic. So it'll be added to the Characteristic list for assigning to a skill.

I'll sort that this week, so it's part of the next update.

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
September 4th, 2018, 13:27

I'll sort that this week, so it's part of the next update.

Ya da best!

Elvedui
September 4th, 2018, 16:10
Awesome thanks

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2018, 13:29
Working on this today....! Sorted my business accounts (needed doing, sooooo boring, but the Tax Man does NOT like not being paid).

I have a fresh cuppa on the boil, a couple of biscuits....

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2018, 17:13
Here we go, added the stat and it will roll, now working on allowing skills to access it.

Pictures are on my Twitter (https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan/status/1040979153816891392) feed....

At the moment, you can add any skill you want, and assign the PSI stat, hope that works for you folks at the moment.

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
September 16th, 2018, 19:36
First class!

Is it working as in MgT 1e, where the PSI stat gets used up when used until you rest? Or is this something we do by hand?

Thanks again!

MadBeardMan
September 16th, 2018, 19:43
First class!

Is it working as in MgT 1e, where the PSI stat gets used up when used until you rest? Or is this something we do by hand?

Thanks again!

At the moment it's just static, doesn't get reduced. I was thinking about adding a new tab for Psionics, with the schools listed and the current 'Strength', but working on the Weapon skills thing which is taking plenty of time.

So welcome to more ideas.

Cheers,
MBM

Elvedui
September 19th, 2018, 22:11
A psionics tab where you could put the actual talents would be nice. while it would be great to automate it, I would be happy to just have the placeholders for now and the ability to look at the talent to see its effects, etc and then manually reduce the current psi strength.

MadBeardMan
September 23rd, 2018, 12:52
A psionics tab where you could put the actual talents would be nice. while it would be great to automate it, I would be happy to just have the placeholders for now and the ability to look at the talent to see its effects, etc and then manually reduce the current psi strength.

I did have a PSI tab, just couldn't automate it which annoyed me. This was down to the range affecting cost etc.

Let me add the tab back in and see what that brings.

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
September 23rd, 2018, 18:47
You will do fine, MBM! Until you manage to automate it, we will probalby able to manually reduce the points in the PSI stat, when used. As long as we have some way to manage, we will manage ;)

MadBeardMan
September 23rd, 2018, 18:57
You will do fine, MBM! Until you manage to automate it, we will probalby able to manually reduce the points in the PSI stat, when used. As long as we have some way to manage, we will manage ;)

Ok, just got my dinner (evening meal/tea etc), coding away tonight on things.

Question, how do you think PSI abilities etc should be handled, I keep thinking of many ways, from individual skills (such as Probe, Assault etc), with these linking to 'new PSI attributes' (based on the schools etc).... a bit of work, so not sure if it's overkill or not.

LordNanoc
September 23rd, 2018, 20:11
Good question. I wouldn't overdo it in the beginning. I would compare it to i.e. bribing someone. I let my players roll "persuade" skill on SOC or INT. There is no "bribing" skill.
I'ld keep it to the basics like "teleportation", "Telekinesis" etc...

That should make you the least of problems and keep us flexible in how we use it.