PDA

View Full Version : Pasting text into chat window

Diana
June 11th, 2006, 16:27
I've been trying the FG demo. One thing I would like to do is paste text into the chat window from Microsoft Word during a game.

The demo does not allow me to paste text. It is possible to do this in the current full version?

Thank you,

Diana

John_Geeshu
June 11th, 2006, 17:49
I'm not 100% sure, just 99% sure, that cutting and pasting or copying and pasting is not supported. Don't know why.

Griogre
June 11th, 2006, 20:27
This is one of the oddities of the program. You can not cut and paste to the chat frame. Better support is suppose to arrive in the next patch.

John is slightly incorrect in that there is a limited cut 'n paste that may help you. First you have to use the Ctrl c (copy) and Ctrl v (paste) shortcut keys in FG. You may copy something in word and then paste it into the storybook. Select something in word to copy and press Cntrl c to put it on the clipboard. Next, open the red story book and select new at the bottom. Put something in the title and move the cursor to the first line of the story book and press Ctrl v. Your word text should end up at the cursor.

Ok, but you really wanted the text in the chat window - right? Hit return to start a new paragraph in the story book. Right click on the story book, select Text, then Chatframe. A box should appear. Click your mouse inside the box to make the cursor appear inside the box. Press Ctrl v again. You should get your word text still on the clipboard inside the chat box. Move the mouse down out of the textbox and right click and select Exit Edit Mode. Move the mouse back over the textbox and you should get the cursor to change to a hand. Drag and drop the text into the chat window.

You can't save stuff in the demo like the full version. I personally write all my personal adventures in word and then cut and paste them into FG. Partly for the spelling checking and partly so I'll have a word copy I can print out to use in a face to face game. When I am doing this for real I also actually make a skeleton in FG first and then cut and paste directly into the xml file because it is faster than copying into individual entries.