PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Playtest – Release 2 – August 28th.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2018, 18:08
This release contains a number of bug fixes, ruleset and data updates.

The main update being that spells and powers are in their initial release (limited functionality, beta test), including cantrips and level 1 spells from all four spell lists (arcane, divine, occult and primal). More details below.

Items of note in this release:

Bug fixes listed “fixed in release 2” in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tbGSjXB_PrkHJpu5reRqx6KSvJnGkAHkhZhgSpgTjHk/edit?usp=sharing
Playtest update v1.1 (August 27th) errata data included. Note – there is currently no automation for dying in the ruleset. This will be implemented in a later release once these rules are more stable.
Class feats to level 5 for all classes. Alchemist and Barbarian have feats to level 10. Additions to this are ongoing. If you really need some feats that aren't currently in the data module, they can be added through the FG interface.
Spells and powers implemented for PCs only (NPCs to come later).
Cantrips and level 1 spells available. Powers have a limited library of 3: Counter Performance, Ki Strike and Lay On Hands. Others can be added through the FG interface.

Spell and Powers – initial limited functionality, beta test release.

Spells have been implemented in a similar fashion to the original PFRPG Pathfinder ruleset, with a few differences:

Completely redesigned spell record.
Spell class contains Playtest rules specific information – spell roll and DC calculations, with key ability and proficiency.
Spells go to level 10.
Spell Resistance and Caster level checks have been removed.
Powers have a slightly modified view, tracking spells point use.

Gotchas!
This is the first release in beta test, with limited functionality, and it does contain some gotchas to be aware of (and probably the odd bug).

There is a small amount of automation in the spell class and power class, but not much. The player will need to check and amend data as necessary.
During character creation, when a new class is added, the spell class and power class, if appropriate, will be added to the PC actions tab. A best guess at the initial data will be made. Check this and amend as necessary. Some data needs to be amended based of: bard first compositions, cleric deity and domain selected, druid order selected, sorcerer bloodline selected and wizard school selected.
Currently there are only cantrips (level 0) and level 1 spells in the library module. More will be added later.
Only 3 power records are provided: Counter Performance, Ki Strike and Lay On Hands.
The GM can add additional spells and powers through the FG interface.
The ruleset is based on the current Pathfinder ruleset and it makes an attempt to parse keywords from the spell when it is added to the actions tab. This parsing crates a base “Cast” action (attack or save) and additional damage, heal or effect action. The Pathfinder Playtest spells and powers use different wording and terminology, so many of these actions aren’t created correctly or at all. Some basic changes have been made to the code for some identification, but there are many saves/attacks that aren’t currently recognized as the save wording is quite different between spells. This code will be updated and refined over the duration of the playtest.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2018, 18:08
Videos:
- Overview of spells as part of creating an example wizard: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14vHnXRgf5b3KDMKWrkOyaVTbvaBkLj8o
- Powers overview. Creating a level 1 Paladin example: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11LlY9BTH1FsG_wf9qAmE1ytucXHOA6BI

Underdevelopment (not currently available)
• Spells and powers parsing and further automation.
• Death/Recovery rolls. Awaiting further Paizo changes to the base rules.
• Archetypes. Currently feat entries available (informational as of release 2c). No automation/parsing of archetype feats.
• Rolling of abilities.
• Resistances, Weaknesses and Immunities automation.
• Expanded weapon trait automation. Currently Deadly and Fatal work for PCs and NPCs.
• Hazard records and automation.
• Hero Points.
• Magic items and resonance.
• Affliction records and tracking (diseases, poisons, etc.). (Release 2b - informational only Affliction records available)
• Expanded Critical success, success, failure and critical failure automation.
• Advanced NPC functionality. (Release 2b - spells and powers available for NPCs).
• Selective initiative rolling – select Perception, Stealth or another skill before rolling.
• Effects and conditions.
• Expanded PC action records.
• Human ethnicities.
• Party Sheet.
• PC mini sheet.
• Advanced NPC functionality.
• Limited feat automation.

Core Data Module
A core data modules is provided, that should be shared with the players. This contains the following data:
1. Classes (all 12 are there)
- Character build tracker should work for each.
- Character Class Features through level 20 are included for each and displayed in the tracker log.
2. Items are loaded
- Weapons dragged to inventory add the Attack Actions automatically
- Armor dragged to inventory updates the defenses accordingly
- Items add to the bulk
3. Backgrounds are included and used in character building
4. Ancestries included (all races)
- These set base HP, speed, etc.
- They add racial features to the character sheet when drag and dropped
5. Feats (currently approx 700)
- Includes general feats
- includes all Ancestry feats
- Feats to level 20 for all classes. (Release 2c).
- Archetype feat. (Release 2c).
6. Skills are listed in the reference manual. These are marked as Incomplete so we can accommodate Skill actions in the future.
7. Traits are fully entered from the Playtest Rulebook and Bestiary. (Release 2b + Items in 2c).
8. Cantrips and level 1 spells. Only 3 powers.

Gwydion
August 28th, 2018, 18:10
Thanks Trenloe!

Ampersandrew
August 28th, 2018, 22:27
Cool. It's nice to see the beginning of the spells implementation.

Bolstaf
August 29th, 2018, 01:00
Is there a schedule for the addition of the 2nd Module of the playtest adventure? Sorry initial question was badly worded.

Trenloe
August 29th, 2018, 01:02
Is there a schedule for the addition of the 2nd Module NPCs to the Module?
No fixed schedule. Hopefully soon... once I've added spells to NPCs.

Bolstaf
August 29th, 2018, 02:07
OK thanks, glad you could understand my hopelessly worded question.

Trenloe
August 29th, 2018, 02:13
OK thanks, glad you could understand my hopelessly worded question.
No worries.

But... you should be able to enter the critters yourself. The main gotcha is to include () in an attack string if there aren't any traits for the attack. Otherwise it's pretty much copy/ paste. See the current NPCs as examples.

The main thing missing at this point is NPC spells.

sirchibbi
August 29th, 2018, 21:37
Awesome Work!

I have a question, is there a way to write an effect for sneak attack that only adds damage if the [FF] modifier is activated on the attack? I just thought it would be useful since we have a way to say this attack was vs [FF] already built in.

Thanks

ShadeRaven
August 31st, 2018, 11:01
Hey Tren, we got around to playing the PT last night... the new update is outstanding!

Couple of things:
1) Effects that adjust base stats don't work at -1. EG: A STR 14 with an affect of STR: -1 doesn't change the modifiers.
2) Very Minor - The Library tab toggle doesn't "unlock" the size tabs that always make sense. EG: Hit Create PC doesn't give players the Spells tab, that's only put on the side bar by hitting All.
3) Players couldn't clear a locked target (ctrl clicked) if it was removed from the map, even using the map clear targets feature.

Most of the other requests are basically things everyone is looking forward to are under development (like shield ready on action, action tracking, features instead of always using spells, etc). There is the occasional odd format glitching that tends to clear up when I try to reopen it. If I catch one on the fly again and can consistently recreate, I'll give an example but it feels pretty minor since it cleans up on next open so far.

As always, much appreciated! Looking forward to the next installment!

ShadeRaven
August 31st, 2018, 11:09
I might also note.. wow, you got your work cut out.. lol.. you'll be well loved when you get this thing ready next year when the rules are finalized. We had a character that could inflict Stupefied with a strike. That's a messy one in the current iteration. Penalties to Spells, Spell DCs along with the stat reductions. That was messy to deal with on the fly as it didn't degrade always by one level per round (stupefied 2 to 1), while other times it did. Good luck! :p

Trenloe
August 31st, 2018, 16:24
Hey Tren, we got around to playing the PT last night... the new update is outstanding!
Thanks. Nice to know it's working well. :)

1) Effects that adjust base stats don't work at -1. EG: A STR 14 with an affect of STR: -1 doesn't change the modifiers.
2) Very Minor - The Library tab toggle doesn't "unlock" the size tabs that always make sense. EG: Hit Create PC doesn't give players the Spells tab, that's only put on the side bar by hitting All.
3) Players couldn't clear a locked target (ctrl clicked) if it was removed from the map, even using the map clear targets feature.
1) I haven't done anything with effects yet, nor ability damage. So the code is still from PF1, which needs 2 points of ability damage to change the modifier.
2) Thanks for the reminder. I'll add spells to the create PC button.
3) I assume the NPC was still on the combat tracker? If so, that is standard FG functionality. You can CTRL+click in the CT to target/untarget, and also the GM can clear the target through the targeting icons in the CT. Once the creature is removed from the CT the targeting will also be removed.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Trenloe
August 31st, 2018, 16:27
I might also note.. wow, you got your work cut out.. lol.. you'll be well loved when you get this thing ready next year when the rules are finalized. We had a character that could inflict Stupefied with a strike. That's a messy one in the current iteration. Penalties to Spells, Spell DCs along with the stat reductions. That was messy to deal with on the fly as it didn't degrade always by one level per round (stupefied 2 to 1), while other times it did. Good luck! :p
Thanks! I think... ;)

Yeah, I think there are going to be a few things that will just have to be handled manually. I'd like to automate a lot of the laborious tracking, but if the rules are diverse or not repeatable then it's going to offer little reward/return on super complex coding that would probably need updating with future classes/feats/supplements...

shadelon
September 3rd, 2018, 03:23
Especially with how in flux the playtest rules are as it is.

Bolstaf
September 3rd, 2018, 16:32
No worries.

But... you should be able to enter the critters yourself. The main gotcha is to include () in an attack string if there aren't any traits for the attack. Otherwise it's pretty much copy/ paste. See the current NPCs as examples.

The main thing missing at this point is NPC spells.

Yes, I was able to manually create all the 2nd module NPCs.

Other observations: Must remember to insert ", or" between multiple attack options. Watch out for sequence issues, eg Zakfah has "scimitar (forceful, sweep) +11," instead of "scimitar +11 (forceful, sweep)". None of the Bestiary 2ed entries have size specified eg 5/5, you have to derive the size entry from the the creature traits, eg "Chaotic Evil Gnoll Humanoid Medium" for Zakfah.

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2018, 16:49
Yes, I was able to manually create all the 2nd module NPCs.
Nice one. :)

Must remember to insert ", or" between multiple attack options.
Just use "or" not ", or".

Watch out for sequence issues, eg Zakfah has "scimitar (forceful, sweep) +11," instead of "scimitar +11 (forceful, sweep)"
Yeah, Paizo not sticking to their own standard doesn't help. Is this the only one you've seen?

None of the Bestiary 2ed entries have size specified eg 5/5, you have to derive the size entry from the the creature traits, eg "Chaotic Evil Gnoll Humanoid Medium" for Zakfah.
In a later release of the ruleset the size will be parsed out of the traits entry. Until then I left the space/reach fields in the NPC record to allow a size, other than the default of 5 feet, to be specified if needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bolstaf
September 3rd, 2018, 19:37
Nice one. :)

Just use "or" not ", or".

Yeah, Paizo not sticking to their own standard doesn't help. Is this the only one you've seen?

In a later release of the ruleset the size will be parsed out of the traits entry. Until then I left the space/reach fields in the NPC record to allow a size, other than the default of 5 feet, to be specified if needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Agreed, only need the "or". And the only attack format transgressions I have found so far have been in the module itself, the Gnoll entries are both wrong, the Bestiary seems OK.

One minor point, when entering 0 as a Str/Con/Dex etc the 0 is not displayed, just a blank.

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2018, 19:43
One minor point, when entering 0 as a Str/Con/Dex etc the 0 is not displayed, just a blank.
Thanks for that. I'm working with the NPC (and Hazard) sheet right now. I've updated to display 0.

Falraen
September 18th, 2018, 13:54
Love what we have so far. Hope we got some more stuff coming soon!

Trenloe
September 18th, 2018, 17:07
Love what we have so far. Hope we got some more stuff coming soon!
Minor updates today: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45612-Release-Updates-on-9-18-2018

Gwydion
September 23rd, 2018, 15:31
Lots of changes coming!

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs42aa4?Twitch-921-Preview-of-Rules-Update-13

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2018, 15:38
Lots of changes coming!

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs42aa4?Twitch-921-Preview-of-Rules-Update-13
13 pages of new updates. Thanks for the heads up. I don't know how much of this will make the Tuesday ruleset update...

Gwydion
September 23rd, 2018, 15:39
Completely understand that! Was just surprised at such a massive update. Look like good chanhes in the surface from the feedback I’ve seen.

vyruxx
September 25th, 2018, 09:56
erratas 240918 are up!!!

Trenloe
September 25th, 2018, 10:52
erratas 240918 are up!!!
Yeah, neck deep trying to get the changes into today's ruleset/data update...

Ampersandrew
September 25th, 2018, 12:39
Since I have my game this evening, I greatly appreciate that you're attempting to get that updated. Thanks.

Bidmaron
September 25th, 2018, 13:11
My google search did not turn up errata, just a link to get rulebook updates in my downloads. Is that the errata we keep talking about here?

Trenloe
September 25th, 2018, 13:48
My google search did not turn up errata, just a link to get rulebook updates in my downloads. Is that the errata we keep talking about here?
Check the Monday Paizo blog.

Trenloe
September 25th, 2018, 14:27
Since I have my game this evening, I greatly appreciate that you're attempting to get that updated. Thanks.
Depending on how it goes with the SmiteWorks review, and when the other Tuesday updates are processed, it *might* make it in time for your game, depending what time you start and where you are in the world...

Trenloe
September 25th, 2018, 15:23
And.... it made it!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45718-Release-Updates-on-9-25-2018&p=406589#post406589

Bidmaron
September 25th, 2018, 15:26
Amazing, Trenloe. Thanks for your work on this

Ampersandrew
September 25th, 2018, 16:51
And.... it made it!

In good time for my game. Thanks!

Normally, I start at 10 p.m. UTC (9 p.m. BST) because one of the guys doesn't get off work 'til lateish. Turns out he's not working today and we might get started at 7:30 BST (8:30 UTC).

Mortar
September 25th, 2018, 18:21
Very first poking around the Playtest. New Campaign, no extensions. Had this pop up opening the description for the Sewer Ooze "Filfth Wave". Not sure if you know about this or not as I haven't looked at the playtest threads.

Trenloe
September 25th, 2018, 19:19
Very first poking around the Playtest. New Campaign, no extensions. Had this pop up opening the description for the Sewer Ooze "Filfth Wave". Not sure if you know about this or not as I haven't looked at the playtest threads.

Thanks for reporting. To confirm - this is the Sewer Ooze from the bestiary and not the one from Doomsday Dawn?

Mortar
September 25th, 2018, 22:49
Yes. The only modules open were the playtest rules and playtest bestiary.

Gwydion
October 8th, 2018, 20:58
Update 1.4 is out! All about ancestries....

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sgaz?Forging-the-Heroes-of-Undarin

Trenloe
October 8th, 2018, 21:07

Thanks for the heads up.

More feats to enter... I've entered over 800 already... joy! ;)

I won't be automating heritages initially. I think, to get something out in tomorrow's update, I'll handle it similar to what I do for some classes (Wizard school selection, Sorcerer bloodline selection, etc.) - by adding all of the heritages to the PC abilities and prompting (via the character tracker) to remove the ones that aren't being kept. This allows the player to review all of the heritage details before making the selection. There won't be any automation with this - there wasn't much there to start with, the main one that springs to mind is the speed modification that was part of the "Unburdened" dwarf ability, which is now part of the "Unburdened Dwarf" heritage.

Gwydion
October 8th, 2018, 22:11
Makes sense, Trenloe. Looking forward to tomorrow! :)

Bidmaron
October 8th, 2018, 23:09
Trenloe, I have to complement you on the tracker. It was a whole lot of fun creating a character with that system. You hit a home run on that!

Trenloe
October 8th, 2018, 23:14
Trenloe, I have to complement you on the tracker. It was a whole lot of fun creating a character with that system. You hit a home run on that!
Glad you like it! :)

UltimateGM
October 9th, 2018, 03:31
Not sure if you are aware but earthbind and creation spells are not listed.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2018, 07:00
Not sure if you are aware but earthbind and creation spells are not listed.
Yep, totally aware. And there's a lot more...

Only level 1 and 2 spells, and level 1 powers are entered in their entirety. The rest are being added in an ongoing basis - primarily as they are needed for the latest part to Doomsday Dawn. Other spells will be added over time. See the product updates in the city hall forum for what has already been released.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2018, 13:41

I’ve just competed the ruleset and data updates for this - just in time to hit the QA process today...

The main thing I’ve done, other than what I mentioned before (add all of the heritages for the chosen ancestry and prompt to review/remove) is that I’ve removed the previous entries for Half-Elf and Half-Orc - these were just FG placeholders to aid in adding those heritages, but they make less sense now and so they’re all lumped into the Human ancestry (as per the updated rules). However, I can see the Human ancestry data getting overloading in the future (how many half-human heritages are there in PF in total?), so I’ll probably revisit how this is done in FG once the playtest rules get a bit more stable around ancestries.

Gwydion
October 9th, 2018, 14:01
I’ve just competed the ruleset and data updates for this - just in time to hit the QA process today...

The main thing I’ve done, other than what I mentioned before (add all of the heritages for the chosen ancestry and prompt to review/remove) is that I’ve removed the previous entries for Half-Elf and Half-Orc - these were just FG placeholders to aid in adding those heritages, but they make less sense now and so they’re all lumped into the Human ancestry (as per the updated rules). However, I can see the Human ancestry data getting overloading in the future (how many half-human heritages are there in PF in total?), so I’ll probably revisit how this is done in FG once the playtest rules get a bit more stable around ancestries.

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Trenloe.

UltimateGM
October 9th, 2018, 17:06
Trenloe, I have a quick question. When I was adding I believe the creation spell I needed a Material Casting, Somatic Casting, and a Verbal Casting, when I put Material in it just shows as an M without the white and red box that shows its a casting action. Am I doing something wrong?

Gwydion
October 9th, 2018, 17:11
Trenloe, I have a quick question. When I was adding I believe the creation spell I needed a Material Casting, Somatic Casting, and a Verbal Casting, when I put Material in it just shows as an M without the white and red box that shows its a casting action. Am I doing something wrong?

Can you post a screen shot of the spell detail? Seems weird. I haven't seen that before.

Gwydion
October 9th, 2018, 17:15
Make sure you have it typed in as follows, "Somatic Casting, Verbal Casting, Material Casting". If I type it in as "Somatic Casting, Verbal Casting, and Material Casting", I get an "M" only and not the icon. If I do it the first way it shows up fine.

UltimateGM
October 9th, 2018, 17:23
I had it typed the first way but it seems that it has corrected itself after setting characters up last night. I guess closing and opening the program did something, Thanks for your response Gwydion.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2018, 17:26
Just type it in as it is shown in the Playtest PDF - the 1-3 casting entries, comma separated. You can usually copy/paste the text straight out of the PDF.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2018, 17:37
Followup: I designed it to read the format from the PDF, but it should also take "Material Casting, Somatic Casting, and a Verbal Casting" correctly.

The code also looks for an action name in brackets () before the casting string, e.g. (free) Material Casting or (reaction) Verbal Casting. If there are no brackets then "action" is assumed, if there is anything else in brackets before the casting string match (material casting, somatic casting or verbal casting) it will assign an icon based off a valid ruleset icon resource: "icon_"<action name in brackets>.

So, if you saw the "M" icon but no action icon, I'm guessing there may have been brackets before the casting string, and the code didn't match the contents of the brackets to a valid icon.

UltimateGM
October 9th, 2018, 18:22
Yes the brackets were something like 1 minute (Material Casting, Verbal Casting, Somatic Casting).

Trenloe
October 9th, 2018, 18:36
Yes the brackets were something like 1 minute (Material Casting, Verbal Casting, Somatic Casting).
The usual format for something like that is 1 minute (Material, Somatic, Verbal) and won't show anything (by design) - no action icons nor M, S or V. But, if there is "Material Casting", "Somatic Casting" or "Verbal Casting", that will get displayed as M, S or V, respectively.

UltimateGM
October 9th, 2018, 18:44
Thanks Treloe for the clarification.