PDA

View Full Version : this app can't run on your PC error

lyko55
August 28th, 2018, 16:41
Im running a laptop with windows 10. I had an error with some game files so i attempted to uninstall and reinstall the program. When i launched the FGwebinstall for windows it pulls up the updater and tries to run.
fantasy grounds updater V3.3.4
getting packages from FG server
getting example from FG server
getting purchases from FG server
Checking package FantasyGrounds Updater for updates
updating FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
updating FGUpdater.exe
ERROR - GetPackagefiles: network : time out
Retrying in 10 seconds
updating FGUpdaterEngine.exe
Priority update check complete

Then i get a Windows error message saying : This app can't run on your PC to find a version for your PC,check with the software publisher
after exiting that the Fantasy grounds updater throws an error.
UpdaterEngine: unable to restart FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
Program Path: C:/program files (86)/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
Command Line:
Error: 1223

I've tried using CCleaner and a SFC scan to check and repair any Registry Errors because my searches said that might fix it but it is still giving me the same errors.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2018, 16:50
Welcome to the forums, sorry you're having issues.

This sounds like a classic example of some anti-virus/security software blocking Fantasy Grounds and the updater from accessing the Internet and running correctly.

Some things to try:
1) Make sure your network interface is set as "Private" not public.
2) Try reinstalling FG.
3) Make sure you have an exception set in your security/anti-virus applications for FantasyGrounds.exe and FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
4) If the exceptions in the security apps don't work, try temporarily disabling all of your security applications.

lyko55
August 28th, 2018, 17:22
I use Windows Defender. I've made inbound and outbound exceptions in the firewall.
I tried turning it off and reinstalling, but I still receive the same results.

The installer is making a FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe & FGUpdaterEngine.exe in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds file but both are showing as 0KB and prompt the This app can't run on your PC error when clicked.
when I run the installer I'm still getting the same result as above.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2018, 17:25
The installer is making a FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe & FGUpdaterEngine.exe in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds file but both are showing as 0KB
This definitely sounds like something on your PC is blocking either the initial install, or the updating of these files over the Internet.

Zacchaeus
August 28th, 2018, 17:37
Windows Defender is terrible at creating multiple rules for Fantasy Grounds. Delete any rules which already exist and create a single new rule for the entire install directory. Also make sure that you have exceptions in any malware or other protection software. And if you have Malwarebytes disable enhanced web protection.

lyko55
August 28th, 2018, 17:43
I went into my backups and copied the old folders over. It will let me open fantasy grounds Version 3.3.5 ultimate. but when i click on update available button it goes to the: This app cant run on your PC and just has a blank black box for the updater.exe
Also when I try to update the copied FGUpdaterEngine goes from 2810kb to 0kb after recieving the error.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2018, 17:46
I went into my backups and copied the old folders over. It will let me open fantasy grounds Version 3.3.5 ultimate. but when i click on update available button it goes to the: This app cant run on your PC and just has a blank black box for the updater.exe
Also when I try to update the copied FGUpdaterEngine goes from 2810kb to 0kb after recieving the error.
Yep, this is pointing to something on your computer or your network blocking the download of the updated files.

Make sure that your network connection on your computer is set to Private.

Check on your Internet router to see if there is any parental control or similar blocking access to the FG download server.

lyko55
August 28th, 2018, 18:09
Router isn't blocking anything. Network is on private. I've went into windows defender and turned it off and am still having the same error. Could their be some old file from the previous install of it?
when I'm in the Fantasy grounds proper it is giving me a green Success on the connection test it just gives me an Error: unable to load ruleset file (base.xml) if i try to launch my campaign

lyko55
August 29th, 2018, 02:04
I've done a fresh install of windows so there are no hidden antiviruses beyond windows defender and with that turned completely off as well I am still getting the same errors.

Trenloe
August 29th, 2018, 02:15
Reboot your Internet router. Double check there is no filter or anything else on your router.

Something, somewhere in your connection to the Internet is blocking the download.

lyko55
August 29th, 2018, 02:31
That was the magic charm. Even thought my router firewall showed it was disabled once I bypassed it straight to the modem it updated with no issues. Thank you very much for the help

lyko55
August 29th, 2018, 02:48
double post but once again
Thank you for the help

garymichaelduke
December 27th, 2018, 19:00
I am new to Fantasy Grounds. I have an older computer running XP on my homenetwork. is there a 32bit version available for FG?

Trenloe
December 27th, 2018, 19:03
I am new to Fantasy Grounds. I have an older computer running XP on my homenetwork. is there a 32bit version available for FG?
FantasyGrounds.exe (the standard Fantasy Grounds application) is 32-bit. Have you tried installing and running the application?

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2018, 19:04

FG is 32 bit

garymichaelduke
December 27th, 2018, 19:11
Where do I find the app? the Webinstaller will not run in my xp machine.

LordEntrails
December 27th, 2018, 19:35
The web install executable is what you want. Why won't it run on your machine? What errors are you getting? Do you have permissions to install on that machine?

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2018, 19:37

As far as I know it should; you can also install it from Steam if that's any better for you. Are you getting any error messages when run the .exe file after downloading the webinstaller?

damned
December 28th, 2018, 00:07
I dont believe Windows XP or Vista are supported any more.
I believe you require at least Windows 7.

nightwish
May 14th, 2019, 04:36
I've tried all of these steps, nothing has worked. its quite infuriating

LordEntrails
May 14th, 2019, 04:47
I've tried all of these steps, nothing has worked. its quite infuriating
Welcome to the forums! Sorry you are having problems.

Unfortunately, we are going to need quite a bit more information before we can provide any useful suggestions. What operating system are you using (Windows, Mac, Unix)? What version of it (Vista, Red Hat, ...)? What errors are you getting? Do you have administrative rights to the computer? Can you install other programs?

JohnD
June 4th, 2019, 12:07
I am recently getting 《link removed》 on my laptop. Anyone else is facing such kind of error in their system? Kindly let me know if anyone has an idea regarding this kind of error in windows OS.

You know, the link you provided above is full of suggestions on how to fix the error. It's also full of spam prompting a user to be contacted by technical support, presumably with an attached fee associated with said call. The site is also not, as far as I can tell, a Microsoft site... seems suspicious as your first post here.

Is the error preventing you from installing or using FG?

Jenny05
December 30th, 2019, 05:45
Pc errors are very frustrating although I am getting another error 0x80248007 (""). Actually I try to update my windows 8 to windows 10 because some apps are stops suddenly in my windows 8 laptop. I understood your problem too I am trying to fix this issue as soon as possible.

damned
December 30th, 2019, 08:21
Pc errors are very frustrating although I am getting another error 0x80248007 (""). Actually I try to update my windows 8 to windows 10 because some apps are stops suddenly in my windows 8 laptop. I understood your problem too I am trying to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Bye bye Jenny-the-spammer-05.