PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu Dice

ransolot
August 28th, 2018, 03:06
Ok, so since I started playing Call of Cthulhu, it turns out I've been reading my d100 rolls wrong. And, to be blunt, that is because of the way Fantasy Grounds reads the dice. If you look at the picture I have attached, it shows a result of 80 on the 10's dice and 10 on the ones dice. Shouldn't that just be a zero on the ones dice making the result 80? Everywhere I've read, that's the way it should be. But on Fantasy Grounds, it reads it as a 90 because there is a 10 on the ones dice. Am I missing something or is this something that needs to be fixed within Fantasy Grounds?

Trenloe
August 28th, 2018, 03:15
This has been discussed many, many times over the years. Do a site search for " percentile rolls" to read about it all...

It is purely a dice convention that was decided upon by the original devs many years ago. Some people have percentile dice with 10's instead of 0's and they choose to add the 1-10 to the tens dice. It's a convention that has become less and less over the years, but it still is a dice convention and the one used in FG.

damned
August 28th, 2018, 05:38
There is no difference in the possible combinations or in the odds of any particular number.
As Trenloe says - its not the commonly used dice syntax we use today (00-90 and 0-9) but it is a valid standard.

Ampersandrew
August 31st, 2018, 13:22
There is no difference in the possible combinations or in the odds of any particular number.
As Trenloe says - its not the commonly used dice syntax we use today (00-90 and 0-9) but it is a valid standard.

This is the first time I've come across this standard, but I think it's much better than the way I've been rolling percentile dice over the years. It has always annoyed me that 00 & 1–9 gives numbers in the range 1–9, but 00 and 0 gives 100.

damned
August 31st, 2018, 14:24
It does actually make a lot of sense. However the one that tends to jar is 10 and 00. Its actually 00 and 10 but everyone sees it and goes 100! What? 10? Ripped.

ransolot
September 1st, 2018, 21:08
It does actually make a lot of sense. However the one that tends to jar is 10 and 00. Its actually 00 and 10 but everyone sees it and goes 100! What? 10? Ripped.

The only problem with this example is that you are putting 2 digits on each dice face. When using percentile it is one die with 2 digits and one with 1. So 100 would be 00 0. And this is my issue with why I originally posted here is because in FG, the single digit die comes up with 10 and not 0.

Ampersandrew
September 1st, 2018, 22:18
The only problem with this example is that you are putting 2 digits on each dice face. When using percentile it is one die with 2 digits and one with 1. So 100 would be 00 0. And this is my issue with why I originally posted here is because in FG, the single digit die comes up with 10 and not 0.

I disagree, if the 00 & 1 is 1 and 00 & 9 is 9 then 00 & 0 should be 0. Which would give 0 – 99.

Now for me 0 – 99 is perfectly reasonable, but game writers all seem to have used 1 – 100.

I suppose neither of these die rolling conventions is perfect, but I prefer the current one.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2018, 22:30
Does it really matter? FG randomly generates numbers between 1 and 100. Why is it worth the effort to worry about how it calculates the dice? Heck, we used to used two twenty-sided die to give us percentile. As long as whatever the system is does it consistently and the numbers are random, the method to get their is, in my opinion, not important.

Ampersandrew
September 1st, 2018, 22:38
Does it really matter? FG randomly generates numbers between 1 and 100. Why is it worth the effort to worry about how it calculates the dice? Heck, we used to used two twenty-sided die to give us percentile. As long as whatever the system is does it consistently and the numbers are random, the method to get their is, in my opinion, not important.

Matter? no, not to me. I'm talking about a die rolling convention that I just discovered and happen to prefer to the one I've been using up to this point. It's interesting, well interesting to me.

I would not care if Fantasy Grounds decided to change the mechanic. Both systems generate numbers in the correct range at the correct frequency. I think that there are better things for the devs to be spending their time on.

damned
September 2nd, 2018, 01:07
The only problem with this example is that you are putting 2 digits on each dice face.

There is only double digits on 1 face of the units dice.