PDA

View Full Version : What systems do you people run?

Oberoten
June 10th, 2006, 08:15
Just out of sheer curiousity, what systems do you people out there run? This is generally one of my favourite questions to ask GM's I meet RL.

rabbit
June 10th, 2006, 12:31
Well, if you're running FG, you're running windows...

Oh, is that not what you meant?

D20 (but can do HARP, GURPS, White Wolf, old Call of Cthulu, and a dozen fairly old and moldy systems)

richvalle
June 10th, 2006, 22:56
3.5 Dnd 3 Core books only.

mr_h
June 11th, 2006, 04:15
D20, mostly core stuff.

Eventually Top Secret SI (maybe some day Star Frontiers, but eh, that's a ways off :))

Griogre
June 11th, 2006, 05:51
D&D 3.5 core. I have run lots of different systems but the next one I may run again is Ars Magica. Still kinda mulling this because I would miss the hand gestures and have been thinking how to have the mage character mimic the entent in an internet forum.

DarkStar
June 11th, 2006, 08:01
D&D 3.5 (Forgotten Realms). Core books, too. I don't use any extensions.

I want to run a sf game, but haven't decided yet what it would be... Not necessarily d20.

Oberoten
June 11th, 2006, 09:05
As for me... Call of Cthulhu, StarWars (D6), Mutant (OLD version), mutant 2, the 'New' version from 89 (Yes... Seriously they were three different games. ;) Two post apocalyptic ones and one cyberpunk.), ArsMagica (3rd to 5th version.), Drakar och Demoner (Swedish skillbased system), Chill, Kult, Traveller, StarTrek, Aliens, Fuzion. AD&D from 2nd Ed up to 3rd. Wheel of Time (Though admittedly we switched that one to using ArsMagica's rules instead.) WarhammerFRPG v1.0 and 2.0 ... and even the WoD stuff.

Almost forgot one of the funniest... Marvel Superheroes.

Adds two more that his players reminded him of as well... Recon (Vietnam) and DC superheroes (Though admittedly that was a one-shot and will NEVER be repeated, I can not recomend the use of this system as anything but toiletpaper. (And even then the score is LOW since the paper is both rough and sharp...) )

richvalle
June 11th, 2006, 16:03
Hmm, if you are asking for rules systems I have played it is much longer. :)

Oberoten
June 12th, 2006, 11:41
*grins* More like a list of what your group are regularily runing and/or have run within the last year. It is my joy and pride to lead such a diverse RL group as the one I do.

It is also a great chore if I am to do the basework for so many systems into FG. So I am kinda testing the waters to see what might come out of other GMs around here. :)

Kalan
June 13th, 2006, 15:46
Lessee...stuff I've run:

Hawkmoon, MERP, Call of Cthulu, WoD (New and Old), AD&D, Red Book D&D, ICE's Cyperscape, 7th Sea (this is high on my list for converting to FG with the new patch), Shadowrun, d20 D&D, d20 Modern....hmmm....Deadlands (another one I wanna convert to FG)...I think that's about it right now :S

Craw
June 13th, 2006, 16:35
3.5e D&D. Mainly core books.

Ablefish
June 13th, 2006, 20:19
We probably played every one of the Palladium systems at one point, but the last few fears have been all D20 - Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk but since we bought FG last Christmas, it's been all Eberron. We're really enjoying the setting.

tdwyer11b
June 26th, 2006, 09:41
All D&D Basic-3.5, Star Wars d20 and d6 (prefer d6), Elric!, Stormbringer, Gamma World, GURPS, MERP, Twilight 2000, Shadowrun, LUG Star Trek, Rifts, Earthdawn, Megatraveller, Runequest and Warhammer.

Azrael Nightstar
July 3rd, 2006, 01:02
I've run Cyberpunk 2020 and AD&D 2e, currently running 3/3.5 but wanting to switch back to 2e w/ Skills and Powers.

@Griogre: I'm not familiar with Ars Magica but I think I have an idea of what you mean, and my suggestion would be a webcam. You can get a decent one for cheap (or perhaps I should say your mage can). Skype and Yahoo Messenger both have good webcam interfaces, and the mage could share his feed with the entire group if desired.

Griogre
July 3rd, 2006, 01:36
@Griogre: I'm not familiar with Ars Magica but I think I have an idea of what you mean, and my suggestion would be a webcam. You can get a decent one for cheap (or perhaps I should say your mage can). Skype and Yahoo Messenger both have good webcam interfaces, and the mage could share his feed with the entire group if desired.
That's a good idea on the web cam - they have gotten pretty cheap - and the mage only needs to broadcast to the GM. In Ars Magica when the mage casts a spell he is suppose to call out the Form and Technique of the spell and make matching hand gestures. He gets penalties or bonuses depending on how vigerous the gestures and emphatic the sound. It's a nice mechanic (as long as someone isn't sleeping in the next room) and adds flavor to the game plus sometimes for situational reasons the mage may not want to call attention to himself so he will skip the audio and/or gestures and take the penalties.

Jozan
July 6th, 2006, 04:44
D&D 3.5 almost 100% Greyhawk; starting our first Dragonlance Campaign next weekend...

Axeminister
August 16th, 2006, 08:41
I saw a Gamma World out there...
But being new to this and all, I think I'll stick to the SRD stuff to get the hang of it. Then one day I'll re-edit a book with the Gamma stuff for them.

Mainframemouse
August 16th, 2006, 10:06
Firstly I've not roleplayed in nearly 10 years. FG has allow me to play again. So here are the games I used to run.

SLA Industries: Darker than a thousand Cyberpunks and more messed up than Kult.
Kult: I've got both 1st and 2nd ed. Prefer 1st.
WoD Pre-Requiem: I loved the whole politics of Vampire, the beutifully rich and thought out world. I ran a live action game in nottingham. I hear they adding LRP support into FG2.0.

Castle Falkenstien
Baron Munchhousen: Though I do not have the speed of wit to do it justice

D&D Fifth Age: TSR's last, best hope against the wizzard. A fantastic game, fantastic system. All very epic.

Call of Cthulhu (D100): Lovecraftian Mythos, death, insanity and tenticles. I've got the live action rules and ran a single game. Never got around to making a latex monster though.

AD&D 2ed: Unfortunately the game mechanics started to anoy me. Love the fantasy setting, but the rules are so 1970's.

Mainframemouse
August 16th, 2006, 10:53
and
Conspiracy X: Its an X files type game, but your the smoking man instead of smulder.

Vroomfogle
August 16th, 2006, 13:21
Rolemaster, set in Shadow World. We currently use FG as out of the box, without using the character sheet or any reference material. I'll be resuming my RM ruleset with version 2.0 however.

raynbow
August 16th, 2006, 14:13
So you play Rolemaster, using FG, but without a ruleset? How does that work?

I'm curious. RM is one of my favorite games, and I'm new to FG.

We just picked up a copy at Gencon to check it out and see if it was something we wanted to use.

Kalan
August 16th, 2006, 14:58
Really all for rolemaster you'd need to code in is those dang crit tables :) FG does support % rolls, tho not sure if the open ended nature is supported as yet...but its not all that hard to track anyways :)

Really - FG will allow you to have the tabletop online - books are optional ;)

I'd love to see Rolemaster actually, as I always did like the system :) And I wanna get a hold of the Shadow World stuff as it always looked like a cool setting to me!

Mainframemouse
August 16th, 2006, 15:04
How about doing a "Millennium's end" mod. Complete with transparent overlays and target silhouette.

Alarian
August 16th, 2006, 15:21
I'm currently using FG to run a 2nd edition AD&D game using only the 3 core books. That campaign is set in the wilderlands. In my face to face game I run a highly modified DragonQuest game situated in Shadow World.

Alarian

raynbow
August 16th, 2006, 15:33
So, if you don't need the rulesets to play. What does having a ruleset get you? Just trying to understand.

Kalan
August 16th, 2006, 16:13
Basically the ruleset also includes any custom tabletop programming, char sheet stuff, etc.

It also allows you to keep game info in the program, so you don't need to have a dozen books layin about the computer room. Or open as PDF's if that's your kick.

Griogre
August 16th, 2006, 19:04
So, if you don't need the rulesets to play. What does having a ruleset get you? Just trying to understand.
Ultimately, Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop - it gives you a way for a gamemaster to connect to his players and chat with them as NPCs or as a Narrator, it allows you to see each other's die rolls and allows the GM to display a map and draw on it. FG at its lowest level is a set of dice for everyone, a battlemap everyone can see and draw on, and a way to "chat" to each other in character and out of character. FG also allows the GM to share images, maps and text with his players (handouts).

Rulesets are your RPG game's rulebooks. In a face to face game they sit around the table or maybe on the floor, side table or even in a laptop. In Fantasy Grounds they can be input into the program so instead of using *your* game's rulebooks you can use the data input into FG. Probably the most important thing in a FG rulesset is the character sheet which can be seen by the player or GM.

If everyone has the books of the game you are playing already, there is very little need for having the game rules as reference in FG - it’s a convenience not something necessary.

Toadwart
August 17th, 2006, 21:43
Ultimately, Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop - it gives you a way for a gamemaster to connect to his players and chat with them as NPCs or as a Narrator, it allows you to see each other's die rolls and allows the GM to display a map and draw on it. FG at its lowest level is a set of dice for everyone, a battlemap everyone can see and draw on, and a way to "chat" to each other in character and out of character. FG also allows the GM to share images, maps and text with his players (handouts).

Rulesets are your RPG game's rulebooks. In a face to face game they sit around the table or maybe on the floor, side table or even in a laptop. In Fantasy Grounds they can be input into the program so instead of using *your* game's rulebooks you can use the data input into FG. Probably the most important thing in a FG rulesset is the character sheet which can be seen by the player or GM.

If everyone has the books of the game you are playing already, there is very little need for having the game rules as reference in FG - it’s a convenience not something necessary.

Very eloquently put G.
In my experience a ruleset is not essential but is very helpful. May be different for others but I find it's quicker to look stuff up in-game than via the manuals. Helps keep my focus on the screen too (so I notice when bob is edging his token away from the impending fireball ;)

Griogre
August 18th, 2006, 23:35
Very eloquently put G.
In my experience a ruleset is not essential but is very helpful. May be different for others but I find it's quicker to look stuff up in-game than via the manuals. Helps keep my focus on the screen too (so I notice when bob is edging his token away from the impending fireball ;)
I suggest you lock the tokens to keep ole Bob from edging away. ;)

Rulesets have all the general advantages and disadvantages of electronic data in general. Searchable data can make things very convenient. The list of searchable spells in d20 is a good example of a great advantage of a ruleset over a physical book. On the other hand it is possible to just drown in data and not be able to find anything, or for the data structure to be so poor you can't access it faster than just looking it up.

Another interesting thing about rulesets is that the better the players and GM know the game, the less it is needed and the more minimal it can be.

I think FG shines compared to some other virtual tabletops in you don’t really need a ruleset before you can start playing. I don’t disagree a well done one can be very helpful though.

Stuart
August 18th, 2006, 23:48
Two add my tuppence worth ...
Rulesets do not just have to be a colection of rules, they can contain reams of campaign specific details; deities, geography, history, campaign-specific equipment and so on.

Kalan
August 19th, 2006, 01:29
Two add my tuppence worth ...
Rulesets do not just have to be a colection of rules, they can contain reams of campaign specific details; deities, geography, history, campaign-specific equipment and so on.

This is actually what I'm aiming to do with my own campaign setting down the road...in fact I'd already started fiddling with it before I got called away to other things :S

This attention span of a hamster....ooo...wassat...a shiny....

nezzir
August 24th, 2006, 05:34
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2, and Basic Fantasy RPG as soon as it's done.

Snikle
August 24th, 2006, 14:31

I agree, I have been saying this for awhile now, everyone wants this or that ruleset, which of course brings up the copyright discussion. I say forget all those rules, if you are wanting to play said game, buy the book (or pdf) get the character sheet done in FG and roll. That said, I would like an easier way to get character sheets 'installed' in FG, say sort of like an add-on like the modules rather than having to edit xml files, copy rulesets, etc.
Player wise, I think it would be more advantageous to have campaign specific details in the ruleset than any of the rules, searching a pdf or using the index in the books is much faster IMHO than clicking 15 times to get to the data you want in the ruleset.

Oberoten
August 24th, 2006, 15:37
I'd actually love to be able to have different forms of charsheets and or scripted documents liftable into FG independent of rule-system.
It'd make things a LOT easier.

A Trackless Stranger
August 24th, 2006, 15:40
I agree, I have been saying this for awhile now, everyone wants this or that ruleset, which of course brings up the copyright discussion. I say forget all those rules, if you are wanting to play said game, buy the book (or pdf) get the character sheet done in FG and roll.

Agreed. Truth be told, I totally fail to see the point of those people/vendors who are trying to create electronic versions of rulesets. Character sheets - I get this. Adventures with prepopulated text, monster and NPC stats - I totally get this. But rules? I'm only familiar with a rule system because I have the book which means (for me, at least) that it will always be easier to find something in a book with which I'm familiar than having to relearn to find something in the application.

Plus...D&D without a stack of books just isn't D&D. :D

Stuart
August 24th, 2006, 18:35
clicking 15 times to get to the data you want in the ruleset.:(
DA have tried to keep data "4 clicks" deep - some ... well ... sorry.:o

As for the purpose of rulesets - I use mine quite a bit because it has material from lots of sources. I guess it depends on the type of GM you are and the PC set up. Some players (and DM's) are lap top based and are "portable", moving around the globe as their job dictates. Others have a traditional desk set-up at home I guess and can spread out their familiar reference materials. My laptop and desktop set up preclude this ...

Snikle
August 24th, 2006, 19:13
Plus...D&D without a stack of books just isn't D&D. :D

LOL. Yeah I think it is merely a matter of taste. I am just saying that I think we could distribute the character sheets legally, without all the rules, which might help getting some of the smaller game systems (or those with those picky legal-eagle owners ;) )to be played in FG.

A Trackless Stranger
August 24th, 2006, 19:19
LOL. Yeah I think it is merely a matter of taste. I am just saying that I think we could distribute the character sheets legally, without all the rules, which might help getting some of the smaller game systems (or those with those picky legal-eagle owners ;) )to be played in FG.

Again, totally agree.

And as someone who has monitored these boards for quite some time, I can tell you that some of the people on this board who continue to preach about what does and does not constitute copyright violation are clearly not attorneys and seem to have a fairly weak grasp on the state of copyright law.

But that's probably another thread... :p

Kasamui
April 6th, 2007, 20:28
( In alphabetical order: )

DnD 3.5
Neuroshima ( Polish system, hasn't beed translated (yet?) )
Star Wars d20
Vampire: the Requiem
Warhammer

I've also played ( or I'm going to play next week )

Monastyr ( Polish, hasn't beed translated)
Vampire: the Masquerade
Warhammer 1ed
Cyberpunk 2020

I see lot of you plays only DnD. To be honest, here, in Poland, people more often make fun of d20 systems than play them. The whole level-thing, spells-per-day etc., the "US Medieval age"...

It is becoming more popular lately. But Warhammer, Neuroshima and Monastyr still rule in polish gaming world.

Which is a good think in my opinion.

Oberoten
April 6th, 2007, 20:53
Neuroshima? ... Okay, the name hooked me a bit I have to admitt.

Tell us more about the system / setting?

Kasamui
April 6th, 2007, 23:56
Post-Nuclear.

Uses three 20-sided dices.

2050, post-war USA, ruins, wrecks, poisoned water and air, radiation etc.
Food, water, ammunition, fuel, meds and drugs are the new currency.
AI controls whole northern US - network of factories, labs and other technical stuff, controlled by single computer - people call it "Moloch" and it's growing larger. Of course it kills everyone in it's way (battle robots of all kind, poisons, mutantas). Border with Moloch is a frontline, and it's moving back - for 20 years humanity was only able to slow it down.
Guns work really bad, the jam far too often.
Everyone's sick. Radiation and stuff. Medicine is really important - you run out of it - after a week or two you're dead.
"Tornado" - new drug is everywhere. Something like Jet from Fallout, but with different effect.

However, player's characters are usually the guys who live pretty well - it's easy to roll a really strong hero at the very beginning of the game. Experience actually allows you to buy more skills and be more comprehensive rather than increase single skill.
Five main abilities, each very important - Constitution, Dexterity, Perception, Smartness, Personality.
Combat... Well. The best way to deal with wounds is not to get shot. Unless your character is a tough bastard with high pain trashold you'll be unable to do anything after you'll get hit. First thing you do in a gunfight is finding cover.
You can't increase your health - no matter wheather you're young trader or hardened veteran - single shot from Desert Eagle can kill you. Wearing armor is a good idea, but it uses up fast and is hard to get. I mean kevlar wests and such. Functional power armors with working batteries are... Well. Finding cover is cheaper and everyone can do it.

The rulebook is awesome. Especially compared to the encyclopedia-like DnD rulebooks.
I couldn't stop laughing when I was reading it for the first time.

Origins for example - Texas, New York, Detroid, (...), Miami, Not Your ****ing Business.

You also get special ability because of your origin. Descriptions are great, but names alone are something, that looks great on character sheet.

"You know, I've eaten my dog"
"Comprehence"
"Comprehence squared"
"It worked on simulator!"
etc.

or the skill description for Knowdledge (maths, chemistry, physics...)
"Don't take it! It's useless! Come on, trust me!"

In overall it's a mix of heroic, movie-like action and dialogs with dark world that's just falling apart.

Oberoten
April 7th, 2007, 07:00
Post-Nuclear.

Uses three 20-sided dices.

2050, post-war USA, ruins, wrecks, poisoned water and air, radiation etc.
Food, water, ammunition, fuel, meds and drugs are the new currency.
AI controls whole northern US - network of factories, labs and other technical stuff, controlled by single computer - people call it "Moloch" and it's growing larger. Of course it kills everyone in it's way (battle robots of all kind, poisons, mutantas). Border with Moloch is a frontline, and it's moving back - for 20 years humanity was only able to slow it down.
Guns work really bad, the jam far too often.
Everyone's sick. Radiation and stuff. Medicine is really important - you run out of it - after a week or two you're dead.
"Tornado" - new drug is everywhere. Something like Jet from Fallout, but with different effect.

However, player's characters are usually the guys who live pretty well - it's easy to roll a really strong hero at the very beginning of the game. Experience actually allows you to buy more skills and be more comprehensive rather than increase single skill.
Five main abilities, each very important - Constitution, Dexterity, Perception, Smartness, Personality.
Combat... Well. The best way to deal with wounds is not to get shot. Unless your character is a tough bastard with high pain trashold you'll be unable to do anything after you'll get hit. First thing you do in a gunfight is finding cover.
You can't increase your health - no matter wheather you're young trader or hardened veteran - single shot from Desert Eagle can kill you. Wearing armor is a good idea, but it uses up fast and is hard to get. I mean kevlar wests and such. Functional power armors with working batteries are... Well. Finding cover is cheaper and everyone can do it.

The rulebook is awesome. Especially compared to the encyclopedia-like DnD rulebooks.
I couldn't stop laughing when I was reading it for the first time.

Origins for example - Texas, New York, Detroid, (...), Miami, Not Your ****ing Business.

You also get special ability because of your origin. Descriptions are great, but names alone are something, that looks great on character sheet.

"You know, I've eaten my dog"
"Comprehence"
"Comprehence squared"
"It worked on simulator!"
etc.

or the skill description for Knowdledge (maths, chemistry, physics...)
"Don't take it! It's useless! Come on, trust me!"

In overall it's a mix of heroic, movie-like action and dialogs with dark world that's just falling apart.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. Always liked the skillbased systems for realism. After all in reality... a .22 will kill if at close range.

Amusingly enough? The name alone actually did give me a bit of a vibe of this... well most of it except the AI. Hmmmm...

3D20 as to resolve skills? Could you explain this part too? I am... intrigued. :)

Tokuriku
April 7th, 2007, 10:41
I played "The Dark Eye" as the first game ever wgen I was young and I'm still playing it now.
Other then that:
Star Wars D6
Sengoku

Kasamui
April 7th, 2007, 12:22
Let's say you want to shoot an opponent.

You have dexterity of 15 (good) and gun skill on 3 (quite good).

You throw 3 dices. At least two results must be equal or below your ability score (dexterity). If they're not, you fail.
You can substract points from any dice - depending on your skill value.

Lest's say you rolled 7, 16 and 19. Result of 7 means one success, so you need one more. You have gun skill on 3, so you substract 1 from 16 - that gives 15, so you've got another succes. You still could, for example, use remaining 2 points to reduce 19 to 17. But it still would be too high to be another success. Anyway - 7 and 15 make your shoot accurate.

Check difficulty. There are some rules for that, but usually GM just decides how hard is to do whatever you're doing. Difficulty changes your ability score.
Easy: +2
Normal: 0
Problematic: -2
Hard: -5
Very Hard: -8
****ing Hard: -11
Pure Luck: -15

And last thing - "Slide". If you you're making a check on a skill that you have on 4 or higher, difficulty is reduced by one step. 8 or more points in that skill make Slide work even better - it reduces difficulty by 2 levels. 12 or more means you're a genius - ****ing hard checks are problematic to you. Very hard are normal. And so on.

The Slide makes it quite easy to bee very good in something, but that's what Neuroshima is about actually. (However, reaching 8 in a skill is hard. It costs loads of exp. 12 is only for maniacs, who play this game few times a week. The scale however goes above 20 :D (No more Slides) )

The downside of this system - new characters, if they're lucky, can already perform difficult actions, so there's less fun from developing your character.

"Tough bastards who wish to become even tougher."

Oberoten
April 7th, 2007, 18:21
Sounds SO sweet...

And 3 D20 gives a bell-curve division as well. Hmmm...

Elf
April 8th, 2007, 20:55
Hey Obe!

I see wheels turning there....

Systems I DM or have DMed
D&D (all versions)
Champions (1st ed)
TORG
Star Frontiers

Syatems I have played at least one session of
All the above except TORG and Star Fronitiers
GURPs
Classic Tarveller
D20 Star Wars
Ars Magica 4th Ed
Vampire: Dark Ages
Rifts
Shadowrun (forgot what edition not the most recent though)
Warhammer Fantasy
Go Fer Your Gun!

Always willing to try new systems... never enough time...

Traygin
April 10th, 2007, 06:03
D&D 3.5 core books a few other D&D suplements, the Forgotten Realms books. I hope to play Traveller (Classic, T20, the new 5th eddition when it comes out) with FG.

JMOxx75
April 15th, 2007, 17:12
Wow I am surprised that I didn't see anyone using M.E.G.S. I believe the first carnation of it was in DC Heroes. Apparently it was in Torg but I was too little to remember my older brother playing that game. The game it appeared in that I play is Underground by the makers of Aeon Flux (old MTV series).

Anyway Mayfair Exponential Game System is the fastest and easiest system I have ever used. Unfortunately the games that it showed up in were not up to par and the gadget rules for the superhero games that use it sucked.

After TSR purchased Mayfair Games apparently a group of gamers bought the MEGS license and made a company called Pulsar Games. They produced Blood of Heroes with MEGS however I don't think it took off without a major name like DC or Marvel. This is unfortunate because like I said before the system rocks!

I played D&D through the original to 3.0, palladium TMNT, Rifts and Robotech, Cyberpunk, Star Wars d6, Vampire the Masquerade and my own variant of the MEGS for fantasy that incorporates magic.

I am trying to get Pulsar Games to jump on board with FG and make a rule set but have not heard from them. I hope to find other MEGS fans in here.

mr_h
April 17th, 2007, 14:10
Hey Obe!

I see wheels turning there....

Systems I DM or have DMed
D&D (all versions)
Champions (1st ed)
TORG
Star Frontiers

Does that mean you have a Star Frontiers ruleset...or that you've just done it in the past?

(Contemplating making a SF Ruleset one of these days)

Valarian
April 17th, 2007, 14:53
In the last year, I've run games (or am running games) using ...
- Babylon 5 (Mongoose) [character sheet for FGII]
- Traveller T20 (Quiklink) [character sheet for GRIP and for FGII]
- Savage Worlds (Pinnacle) [using Digital Adventures' FGII product]
- Conspiracy X (Eden Studios) [character sheet for FGII]

Systems I have GM'd in the past ...
- D&D3e (WotC)
- Star Wars d20 (WotC)
- Star Wars d6 (WEG) [character sheet for FG]
- Classic Traveller (FFE) [online using GRIP]
- Vampire The Masquerade (White Wolf) [character sheet for GRIP]
- Cyberpunk 2020 (R.Talsorian Games)

Other games ...
- Battletech (FASA)
- Warhammer Fantasy Battle (Games Workshop)
- Star Trek Tactical Combat (FASA)

Stuart
April 20th, 2007, 21:08
Currently (thank you FG) : 3.5 & MERP

In the past: Rolemaster, MERP, Traveller, James Bond (has anyone else played that one ?), Toon !, Marvel Super Heroes, Pendragon, Judge Dredd, RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls (yes ... I am that old), all D&D (ashamed as I am to admit this), Iridium and HARP.

kimba
April 22nd, 2007, 00:53
I have also played all forms of D&D,(D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2nd, D&D3rd and finaly D&D3.5) Tunnels & trolls - Loved all those 6 siders. (yes I too am that old) traveller, Merps, Rifts, Synabar, james bond, Marvle Super heroes, Twilight 2000, Cthulu, Start trek, some palladium game or is that rifts... and lets not forget Gamma world. Problably a few others I have forgotten too.

in fact, Kimba comes from a rifts game my group played. Any of you guys out there? Remember Captain Kimba!

demonsbane
April 27th, 2007, 18:34
The games/systems I did enjoyed most were (and some of them still are):

GURPS (settings: Imperial Rome, Celtic Myth, Cyberpunk, Conan, Greece, and homebrew fantasy)
D&D
AD&D 2nd
Aliens
Cyberpunk 2020
D&D 3.5

I'm currently using D&D 3.5, and GURPS 4ed (fantasy).

daddystabz
June 17th, 2007, 17:29
Noone running Savage Worlds? It is now my system of choice and it is all I will ever use from now on. I am tossing D20 right out the window for it and converting everything else I like into it. It is by far the best gaming system out, imo.

Kalan
June 17th, 2007, 17:32
Noone running Savage Worlds? It is now my system of choice and it is all I will ever use from now on. I am tossing D20 right out the window for it and converting everything else I like into it. It is by far the best gaming system out, imo.

Hehe...another convert ;)

Snikle
June 17th, 2007, 17:33
I second that! Working on learning all the rules, then I will be running games over at FUM's OGT using the various settings for Savage Worlds.

daddystabz
June 17th, 2007, 17:37
Yup! I am indeed a convert to SW. I was an old D20 die-hard and the guys at my favorite local gmaing store kept on me telling all about how Savage Worlds rocked but I was skeptical.

Then they recently came out with the Pirates of the Spanish Main rulebook and my girlfriend bought it for me for my birthday. I read it and was instantly hooked. I then threw D20 out the window, along with all the other game systems I had been using. I went out and also bought Rippers, Deadlands Reloaded and, just ordered Necessary Evil for it. This is the only system I'll be using from now on and all the other non-SW settings I like are now being converted over into this fantastic ruleset.

There is no going back for me....Savage Worlds has changed me for good.

SirJoe
July 2nd, 2007, 22:40
All depends upon what sort of mood I am trynig to create. However, my fav. games are:

1. Feng Shui (butt-kicking kung fu with cyber-monkeys, daemons and die-hard cops, zombie-ninja-pirates... what more could you want in a game?)
2. Choasims' old percentile rule system - eg. RuneQuest, Elric, CoC, etc.
3. d20
4. My own simplified d6 rule system for younger, newbie role-players.

Cheers,
SirJoe

daddystabz
July 2nd, 2007, 23:12
The new streamlined and innovated-versionof d20 that Star Wars Saga Edition uses has really impressed me also. I can only hope D&D 4th. Edition will be like this game!

Tropico
July 3rd, 2007, 19:53
I'd like to know more about this 'Savage Worlds' business.

I'm was very hyped-up to DM my own games but recent experiences both while playing and pseudo-DMing have left me doubting that I can actually master d20 enough to run it at the level that I want within the next year.

From what I've heard SW sounds like something that might help me get into actually running fun games without the sizable front-loading of playing experience and prep time d20 seems to require.

If you can point the way to any 'Getting started with SW' resources I'd be grateful.. you might have a another new convert here. Thanks :)

joshuha
July 3rd, 2007, 20:05
I run a Ptolus D20 campaign but since working on the Savage Worlds ruleset for Digital Adventures I think besides Ptolus, everything else I am switching to Savage Worlds.

It has the flexbility of GURPS without all the cumbersome character creation and mechanics. Its fast for DMs to just put something together and suits my on the fly type of GM style very well.

They have a Testdrive version of the rules which while not 100% current with the latest version is pretty close and shows you what the system is all about. Also, at the end of July you should be seeing the Savage Worlds Explorer Edition that has ALL the rules needed for just $9.99.

https://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/SW%20Rev/TestDrive4.pdf

daddystabz
July 3rd, 2007, 20:35
The new rulebook for Savage Worlds is being released this month as a full-color pocket edition for only $10!!!!!

I suggest picking it up.

Research these sites for info about Savage Worlds:

https://www.peginc.com/

https://home.mchsi.com/~savagestarwars/

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10962.phtml

Kalan
July 3rd, 2007, 20:50
Well...lemme put it this way Tropico :)

I...like many around here...been gaming since the good ol Red Box, nigh on 20yrs now.

In those 20yrs, I have never seen a system like SW. No word of a lie here, within 20mins of picking up and reading the Core Rules, I was confident I could not only run SW, but create balanced and fun adventures in minutes.

It really is Fun! Fast! and Furious! If you want more info, feel free to hit myself up on these boards or by PM or MSN or whatever...I have made more than a few converts to SW ;)

And I don't do this to drum up sales or anything :rv: (check the sig ;) )

Tropico
July 3rd, 2007, 21:12
Woo, thanks guys. I've grabbed the Test Drive pdf. From just skimming it and reading the 'back cover' it sounds spot-on for me. I'll give the rules a little spin tonight and see what's up (that was a nice touch too, putting in a scenario that you could play with immediately).

Heh, I hadn't noticed your sig Kalan (I suffer from sig-blindness), it's good to know that should I get bitten by this SW bug, there'll be support for it in the FG2 world as well.

The Velvet Souljah
July 3rd, 2007, 23:01
I have gotten pretty big into Castles and Crusades from Troll Lord Games. Easy ruleset that makes preparation for the DM a lot simpler and generally insures that the pace of play keeps up at a reasonable rate... :D

If anyone is interested, they should check out the free PDF containing the Quick Start Rules: https://www.trolllord.com/newsite/cnc/ccqs.html

daddystabz
July 4th, 2007, 05:29
Savage Worlds is a fantastic system and what is really great about it is that it isn't short on depth at all for being so fast/furious/simple! It is also adaptable to any genre you want to use it for.

It is extremely flexible and solid.

Let me know if I can be of any further help!

Kalan
July 4th, 2007, 06:07
Savage Worlds is a fantastic system and what is really great about it is that it isn't short on depth at all for being so fast/furious/simple! It is also adaptable to any genre you want to use it for.

It is extremely flexible and solid.

Let me know if I can be of any further help!
It should also be mentioned that the SW rulese also contain complete Mass Battles rules as well...and can handle combat EASILY for as few as four participants, all the way to 200+ using the same rules.

As for examples of genres: GWG/PEG have released settings ranging from a hard, dark fantasy (Evernight), to Super Villains saving the world (Necessary Evil), to a post apocolyptic/humour (Low Life), Pirate/Swashbuckling (50 Fathoms and the new Pirates of the Spanish Main)...and two of my favourite settings: Deadlands (Wild West mixed with Horror...) and Rippers (victorian age horror roleplaying).

And yes, Digital Adventures fully intends on supporting the various Savage Worlds lines in FG - beginning with the release of our FGII conversion (hopefully) in time for Gen Con. We have a lot of other projects SW related in the works as well...but I can't speak much more on that right now :)

Feel free to ask more questions about this system, and its FG incarnations...seems we're gettin more an more Savages in these parts :) If there's a particular style of product, or product in general you would like to see, let us know and we'll see what we can do :)

[edit: With the way FGII handles Rulesets and Modules, we may be able to offer some demos as well....so stay tuned]

daddystabz
July 4th, 2007, 06:16
Good point! The way Savage Worlds handles massive battles in such a short amount of time is awesome!

heruca
July 5th, 2007, 00:39
Wow, that's a lot of praise for the SW system. This thread convinced me to download the TestDrive rules. I'll read them as soon as I get some spare time, but it sure sounds interesting.

daddystabz
July 5th, 2007, 23:52
It is a fantastic system! I just returned home from the Origins Convention and I bought the new Exlporer's Edition of the core rules. They just released this new Explorer's Edition, which is the new and updated rules in full color, on special paper, in pocket size! AND....it only costs $10!

Btw, anyone know of any good online virtual tabletop Rippers campaigns?

Snikle
July 6th, 2007, 00:00
GAH! You got one!?!?! And they aren't available yet on their site! No no no, I want one!!!

I think murgh was advertising a Rippers campaign around here somewhere and on the FUM site.

daddystabz
July 6th, 2007, 00:06
Yup....the Pinnacle people were some of the coolest people I met there. This is a really nice core rulebook.

I think the Rippers campaign you mentioned might be the one I'm awaiting info about.

Snikle
July 6th, 2007, 00:24
damn them! Tell them to get them in their store, so I can buy one, plus I know at least three other people that I showed SW too that want one as well!

Kalan
July 6th, 2007, 05:18
Yep..MB was going to be running a Rippers campaign once he gets back from his tour (mid July I think). He could be waiting for the revised ruleset...but he hasn't been around in a while to keep up to date on the news.

richvalle
July 6th, 2007, 13:41
While not playing these in a campaign I just tried out games of 'Spirit of the Century' and True20 (playing an old Gamma World module). Both were quite fun.

rv

mossfoot
July 6th, 2007, 17:37
I use a "generic" ruleset (see Toadwart for details) that is basically a very blank and very customizable character sheet, allowing me to play whatever game is being played that day.

Having a full ruleset is nice, but not necessary, especially if you're playing something like d6 Star Wars like I am and finding it VERY difficult to get a proper ruleset for it.

draeven57
July 10th, 2007, 21:08
I have been running games for 30 years so the rules systems I have run are too numerous to remember (note that I said 'to remember' not 'too numerous to list'... damn this aged brain of mine!)...

But which ones do I run or have I run in FG? Now that is easier to list- D&D3.5 Forgotten Realms, Warhammer Fantasy RPG, and Call of Cthulhu (old style.. the ONLY style imho...).

Current game- Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages (running FG2 version concurrent with my pen & paper campaign).

Good stuff...

Laters all,

daBadMojo
July 11th, 2007, 20:28
Newcomer coming to post!

I usually run d20 stuff, but never using the core books. My preferred systems are from Arcana Evolved and Spycraft for various genres.

I've run Mutants and Masterminds in the past and liked it. HERO System was tried a few times and placed back on the shelf, collecting dust now. Savage Worlds was a fun run (particularly with Low Life), and I could go on with naming a few hundred one-shots, but what's above is what dominates my system-think today.

Oberoten
July 11th, 2007, 21:03
*adds on a few more systems to his list*

Starborn ( Exalted clone with a d100 system) , Götterdammerüng, The Devil's Own (Western-setting), Un-named armies.

Oberoten
January 24th, 2008, 14:29
** Bumps this thread for the newcommers **

NineShadowEyes
January 24th, 2008, 16:54
In recent memory:

D&D, d20, Warhammer, Exalted

Waldo Pepper
January 31st, 2008, 21:52
Savage Worlds
Cold City
Dogs in the Vineyard
Primetime Adventures
My Life with Master
The Esoterrorists
Burning Wheel

Xorn
March 20th, 2008, 21:42
In the last year:

D&D v3.5 (Greyhawk)
playing in Star Wars SE, too.

Over the last 24 years?
D&D (BECMI), 1E, 2E (barely), 3E, 3.5E
Every Palladium game (actually one, giant megaverse game) from 1988 to 1999
GURPS, Star Wars (d6), WoD (vampire mostly, including a little LARPing in college *embarrassing pause*), Powers & Perils, ElfQuest, RuneQuest, Bushido, and some Warhammer Fantasy. I dabbled with other systems, but none long enough to be noteworthy. OMG, I didn't mention Villians & Vigilantes!? Also Marvel Superheroes snuck in there. Only for bragging rights, I did play Scantily Clad Biker Chics With Big Guns for one game in college, and I also ran one season of WWF The Role-Playing Game. (College was a weird time for me.) And by the way, WWF RPG is actually pretty fun, if you accept that it's completely retarded and can get past that.

I actually really enjoyed Powers & Perils--and still have the Tower of the Dead somewhere--I convert it to every campaign I run. My players are probably tired of there being a lich at the heart of every evil plan, but F them... it was a great adventure module! :P

Malovech
March 20th, 2008, 23:31
Xorn if you intend on running a continuous campaign, please let me know, my brief experience with you as a DM for the 4e demo was quite a lot of fun.

Xorn
March 21st, 2008, 16:37
I'm running a continuous 3.5 campaign right now, "Watch For Falling Meteors" (which you heard the story behind) but because of the 4E fan playtests, it has basically ground to a halt for the moment. :)

That campaign is currently full, if we ever start playing it again. :cry: But if someone stops playing, consider yourself invited. :)

smataka
March 25th, 2008, 14:17
My group runs Savage Worlds ONLY these days.

Over the past 25+ years we've played:

Every version of D&D
Chaosium (Elfquest, Stormbringer, CoC, Pendragon)
Bushido
Gamma World
Psi World
Star Frontiers
Rolemaster
Warhammer Fantasy
GURPS
Paranoia
D6 (Star Wars, Fantasy)

In the past we always used to come back to D&D, because that was where we all started.

A couple years ago, I put Savage Worlds into my Amazon Wish List on a whim. My brother got it for me, and my group has been hooked ever since. We've run an Iron Kingdoms game with it (magic and mecha), and now I'm running a weekly Gamma World/Warhammer 40K/Iron Kingdoms game with it through Fantasy Grounds. The system is fantastic for any setting, and definitely fits our style of play (cinematic combat, minimal record keeping and number crunching).

We love it.

kyxmma
April 4th, 2008, 14:21
The systems that I am running now are Savage worlds and Hollow earth expedition(New but great game).

The ones that I mostly own or have played are every version of DnD,d20 modern, James bond(Old but I liked it), Conan TSR version, Paranoia fifth edition, Shadowrun, Middle Earth, GURPS, Star wars d20 and d6(much rather play d6, great system), Battle tech,Soveriegn stone(Original System), Fading suns Second edition not d20, Warhammer Fantasy. Hmmmm.... Now that I think about it I own all the books too lol.

Doswelk
April 11th, 2008, 07:57
Savage Worlds! (I do declare I see a theme here!)
GMed Necessary Evil
Playing Rippers
Planning to GM Shaintar

Prior to that it was D20 Modern.
Dark Matter all the way!

Prior to that Alternity
Dark Matter!

Others have been:

D&D, AD&D 1st Edition, AD&D 2nd Edition, Paranoia (2nd Edition), Star Wars (D6), SLA Industries, Judge Dredd (D20 and original), Call of Cthulu, FASA Star Trek

Wargamer777
July 24th, 2008, 15:28
Guess I'll need to add my list here:

DND (Basic, Expert, 1st, 2nd, Some 3.5, now 4th)

Twilight 2000

Top Secret (1st and SI)

TORG

Marvel Super Heroes

DC Heroes

Gamma World (Old Edition)

Deadlands (1st Edition.. just a few games)

Kohei
May 31st, 2023, 19:39
Fantasy Games Unlimited Villains & Vigilantes 2.0
Chill
Call of Cthulhu

Does anyone know if V&V or Chill can be played on here?

LordEntrails
May 31st, 2023, 20:58
Fantasy Games Unlimited Villains & Vigilantes 2.0
Chill
Call of Cthulhu

Does anyone know if V&V or Chill can be played on here?
Yes they can. But please do not post the same post in multiple places :)
Please continue the discussion here: Playing out of print games (fantasygrounds.com) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?77949-Playing-out-of-print-games)

Sabels
June 2nd, 2023, 13:38
I'm into Renegade Games Essence 20 system

Jiminimonka
June 2nd, 2023, 22:44
Well, if you're running FG, you're running windows...

Oh, is that not what you meant?

D20 (but can do HARP, GURPS, White Wolf, old Call of Cthulu, and a dozen fairly old and moldy systems)

I am running Linux ;)

superteddy57
June 3rd, 2023, 04:43
Same

damned
June 3rd, 2023, 14:08
I am running Linux ;)

Same

You are replying to a 15 year old post....

Sorry - 17 year old!

Jiminimonka
June 3rd, 2023, 15:19
You are replying to a 15 year old post....

Sorry - 17 year old!

Yep lol... to the first reply in fact ;)

superteddy57
June 3rd, 2023, 18:29
Technically I responded to Jiminimonka so I was replying to a post that was recent. :P