PDA

View Full Version : Where did you hear about Fantasy Grounds

Ged
June 9th, 2006, 08:19
Thank you in advance to everybody who bothers to answer!

Griogre
June 9th, 2006, 09:39
I googled you. I believe I got a hit on virtual tabletop. It was not that easy to find you actually. I believe I also may have seen something on enworld.org and I noticed that NPC Designer had an export to you.

DarkStar
June 9th, 2006, 09:43
I was looking for a tool that would allow me and my friends play role playing games over the Internet. I was looking at various freeware solutions and then I believe I stumbled upon heruca's Battlegrounds website, which had links to various virtual tabletop software. There was a link to Fantasy Grounds and I followed it. I loved the site and bought FG a few days after first seeing the demo.

Wavestone
June 9th, 2006, 10:01
Its a bit hard to remember after over a year, but I think it was from the news section on the ENWorld site. I have seen many things there that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, even leading to some purchases like FG! :)

Oberoten
June 9th, 2006, 10:07
Googling for a better alternative to OpenRPG... which is nice, but not really nice enough for my tastes. I wanted something a bit easier to script and that wasn't as terribly SLOW.

Found FG and I haven't had to look back since then.

acmer
June 9th, 2006, 10:20
I was desperately looking for RPG opportunities across the internet. IRC, IM's, e-mail, browser, everything. Stumbled upon a few softwares too, maybe it was openrpg or something else. Didn't look very good to me. When I told my friend about the lack of RPGs he told me about FG. I have to admit here that I tried an illegal version first (please don't shoot me), and I liked the software. After a week I bought the game.

LordTomar
June 9th, 2006, 10:48
I found FG on the DDO forums back before it went into beta... People were talking about starting up a game there and they were talking about what system to use when playing. The 2 main choices were openRPG and FG... not sure what they chose but I really liked FG.

Ram Tyr
June 9th, 2006, 12:57
I bought FG after lengthy discussions on the DDO forums with a group that was interested in playing. We took a look at different options and went with FG. We could be the group you refer to LordTomar...but there was a group that had started a few weeks before my group, so it might have been that group. (Unfortunately, the old DDO boards got wiped during their "transition"...even wiped accounts of board members that had been around forever...)

The core of that group is still playing together! That is a mixture of a little luck in having formed a core group around committed players and the quality of gaming that FG provides.

Ged, there have been a number of FG users that came from the DDO forums. (I admit I always felt a little good about it when folks would come to FG and say that DDO was the reason in their introductory posts!) Viral advertising worked for FG big time on the DDO board.

Later.
Ramza

mr_h
June 9th, 2006, 14:13
I was doing searches on the Wizards of the Coast website for alternatives to OpenRPG and the like...someone pointed me to Klooge, while on the Klooge boards I saw a link to FG, and the rest is history :D

John_Geeshu
June 9th, 2006, 15:44
I beleive I first picked up on Fantasy Grounds from a pasing reference made on https://www.roleplayinggames.net

rabbit
June 9th, 2006, 16:01
I wrote a column over at GamersWithJobs.com where I lamented the failings of a pure IM based D&D campaign (but also talkign about how superior it was to playing D&D Online: Stormreach). In the thread that followed, several folks mentioned FG, Battlegrounds, and Klooge, all of which I played with and two of which I bought. (Anyone need a Klooge license?)

amannella
June 9th, 2006, 16:49
Hi rabbit,

Having experienced all three can you tell us what are the nice features of each of them and the bad things about each of them.

Thanks

amannella
June 9th, 2006, 16:51
Agreed on DDO, ddo is basically running around a city trying to find players to party with you and hoping that they wont bitch at everyone that dont cast the right spell or dont use the right weapons at a given moment or people that walk into a trap by accident, i mean this is all part of role playing and it is whats fun about it, anything can happen, you fall into traps, you use sword against a jelly creature just one time anyways ahhaha.

Cheers!

Craw
June 9th, 2006, 16:55
On the Maxminis chatboards.

richvalle
June 9th, 2006, 16:57
Yes, its been over a year for me as well.

I think a friend of mine saw an add for it and looked at the website a bit. He sent me a link saying the software looked nice.

I looked deeper and hung around the boards a bit. As we hadn't played DnD for a few years I wanted a way to be able to play without sacrificing too much family time... and FG looked like it.

I had looked at KloogeWerks years ago but it didn't strike my fancy as much as FG did.

rabbit
June 9th, 2006, 20:15
So, there are a few threads on this already, but very short:

1: Klooge does a ton of rules scripting, and is multiplatform. The chat system is horrible, and the interface extremely obtuse. I could never get my non-computer-geek players to use it.

2: Battlegrounds isn't available yet, so there's that. It looks like it will be cool, and cross platform. It's rigidly square based (which I see as a downer). It's got neat FoW stuff if it actually works. In short, it might be cool in about 6 months or so when its in production and the first round of bugs are patched. It seems it will excell mostly as a mapping system, at least initially.

3: FG is, well, FG. It *feels* awesome, and I imagine thats why a lot of people bought. It doesn't try to do much that you wouldn't do at home around the table, and replicates as much of that as well as possible. It's easy to organize, very easy to run, and pretty intuitive.

All that said, none of them are without their strong points or their weaknesses.

Cantstanzya
June 10th, 2006, 05:27
When I found out our DM was moving I googled virtual tabletops and FG was up near the top of the results. I researched OpenRPG, Klooge and FG. The dice rolls in FG separated it from the competitors. The tabletop look and feel was, and still is, the closest you can get to tabletop gaming. I can't wait to see what FG holds for the future. Fantasy Grounds is a great product that allows campaigns to continue long after everyone has moved away.

sphilps
June 10th, 2006, 06:27
the stumbleupon toolbar, actually.

GMBazUK
June 10th, 2006, 08:39
I followed the links from the Dragons Landing podcast website, following a query to their show concerning roleplaying online.

Baz.

Kalan
June 13th, 2006, 16:01
I looked into this tool when I first found out I was going to be moving away from my established RPGA club back in Calgary. I looked around at Drivethrurpg.com for online tabletop programs, and liked the look of FG, played with the demo a bit...and well...the rest be history :D

Now I be in the process of starting an RPGA club online :) Tho it'll be a couple of weeks before I can devote much more time to it as I'm off to Denmark for a nice 2.5wk holiday tmrw :D

ShaneLeahy
June 13th, 2006, 18:32
I was looking for a way to play over the internet after moving but wanting to keep my old group. Came across a message on ENWorld with someone asking the same thing. Did some checking out, mostly FG and Klooge, settled on FG. ANd my group loves it.

BnaaUK
June 14th, 2006, 02:13
It was the Code Monkeys, I think they featured it in one of their updates as something cool they wanted to recomend, I tried the demo and brought it the same day.

NeoDante
June 14th, 2006, 02:50
I first heard about FG on Pazio's 'Dungeon' Magazine boards and have been spreading the word ever since.

EyeBall
June 17th, 2006, 02:24
As I have yet to run a game with FG, I can not really comment on its functionablitiy. However, over the last eight months, my GM has been using it for our table top games. He is the one that mentioned it to me, and got me interested.

EYE

sppeterson
June 18th, 2006, 05:06
I found out about in on ENWorld.

sunbeam60
June 19th, 2006, 12:59
Me too, ENWorld, either on message board or news page, can't remember.

greymage001
June 30th, 2006, 18:52
I found FG while checking updates on CodeMonkeyPublishings Web.