PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation - My Table Will be Open Most of Today

Gwydion
August 24th, 2018, 16:56
Morning, all. So as I am excited about running players through the Pathfinder Playtest, so I created a Character Creation module for my players. When they join my table, they can open the module and it uses the Paizo character creation process to walk through the process of character creation, with appropriate links to specific portions of the ruleset (e.g. ancestries) to make it easier to review specific info without searching. It also has a link to Trenloe's video on character creation to help you understand how to create a character within FG. Finally, it has a section on playing the game that has links to important items such as combat actions, conditions, etc.

My intent is to have an easy way for players to start creating their character within FG, and if they have specific questions about the process, they can use the module to jump to certain sections (like ancestries to understand better their options).

I can't share the module of course and all my links are to my google drive which I've set to read only (no download). Trying to avoid any copyright issues. Of course, all official material, including the full ruleset are available for free pdf download at paizo.

So, I'm posting this as I'm going to leave my table up most of the day in case anyone want to mess around with character creation. I won't be able to jump on and answer questions much, but feel free to jump on and create some characters and poke around if you'd like. A message of the day will pop up when you log on that goes through what is in the module.

My table alias is puny nail daring thief

I'll keep it up as much as I can today. Happy Friday!

Gwydion
August 24th, 2018, 22:12
Shutting table down. Might put back up some this weekend. Will see..

Trenloe
August 24th, 2018, 22:16
Did you get many people joining?

Gwydion
August 24th, 2018, 22:20
Did you get many people joining?

Unfortunately no one. But I do understand it was during the day on a weekday with no notice. If I think about doing this again I'll post to the FG and FGC discord channels and give some advance notice. Might do some over the weekend. We will see. Maybe even tonight when I get home and just leave it open until sometime tomorrow as I will be away from home most of the day and can just leave it up.

Gwydion
August 25th, 2018, 00:56
Ok. So I got home and posted this to FGC discord and I've got one person on now and I think some others that will jump on later. I'll have the table up all night tonight and most of tomorrow if anyone wants to play around with creating characters. Check it out!

Gwydion
August 25th, 2018, 14:07
Morning all! So, it looks like I had a couple people jump on the table last night to mess around with creating PF2 characters. Given I will be driving to Cheyenne, Wyoming this morning for my daugther's soccer game, I'll leave the table up for a most of the day. If anyone wants to jump on, feel free. Alias info is listed above in the first post.

ShadeRaven
August 25th, 2018, 19:49
Excellent work, Gwydion! That is first and foremost, so don't take any comments or corrections as anything but appreciation of what you've done and wanting to help out.

1) MOTD: It starts with a directive to click the link on "Creating a Character (Official Paizo)" in the character creation module. Not there. I can go into Story and then Find 0.2 Create a Character, which is what I expect you were intending us to reach. It might be useful to explain about the Library and it's use...it seems silly, but I've had players using FG for almost 10 years now that I still have to explain to them how to open up modules/books and interact with them.

2) Minor thing, but I would think Creating a Character should be 1.0 rather than 0.2 as it does launch into the rest of the process.

3) Okay, so this is something I honestly don't know. What are the rules for sharing and using our Playtest PDF? Are you running into any potential copyright infringements by parsing it up and sharing it out? I am not trying to be a whistleblower in any capacity (egad, no!), because I would love if I could use their material and share it out. In fact, I could then share my version of Doomsday Dawn to those interested...but that seems...somehow wrong, if it'll eventually be a purchasable product here. IDK. Not that I would recommend buying it anyway, as supporting this awesome product and the guaranteed quality of said purchase would be both desired.

4) Which brings me to another suggestion, based on 3). Often, the sharing of a Character Sheet is allowed so why not offer a clean sheet for players to load? The end of the rulebook as 3 pages that you could easily port out for players to link to (as you did other pages), so if someone has the ability to print out these things, you'd give them a character sheet to write on as you progress right from the start! I think offering your image as a PDF that has all the field indicators (your first character sheet image), could be useful, too. That way, you'd have a couple of easily printable pages that players can use on hand.

All-in-all, though.. how fantastic! Great work and it does certainly show your enthusiasm for the product!

PS: Has that MOTD thing been in FG all along? Have I missed out on the ability to do so in my campaigns?
PPS: And where is that font extension? I really need that larger print myself!

Gwydion
August 25th, 2018, 21:14
Excellent work, Gwydion! That is first and foremost, so don't take any comments or corrections as anything but appreciation of what you've done and wanting to help out.

1) MOTD: It starts with a directive to click the link on "Creating a Character (Official Paizo)" in the character creation module. Not there. I can go into Story and then Find 0.2 Create a Character, which is what I expect you were intending us to reach. It might be useful to explain about the Library and it's use...it seems silly, but I've had players using FG for almost 10 years now that I still have to explain to them how to open up modules/books and interact with them.

2) Minor thing, but I would think Creating a Character should be 1.0 rather than 0.2 as it does launch into the rest of the process.

3) Okay, so this is something I honestly don't know. What are the rules for sharing and using our Playtest PDF? Are you running into any potential copyright infringements by parsing it up and sharing it out? I am not trying to be a whistleblower in any capacity (egad, no!), because I would love if I could use their material and share it out. In fact, I could then share my version of Doomsday Dawn to those interested...but that seems...somehow wrong, if it'll eventually be a purchasable product here. IDK. Not that I would recommend buying it anyway, as supporting this awesome product and the guaranteed quality of said purchase would be both desired.

4) Which brings me to another suggestion, based on 3). Often, the sharing of a Character Sheet is allowed so why not offer a clean sheet for players to load? The end of the rulebook as 3 pages that you could easily port out for players to link to (as you did other pages), so if someone has the ability to print out these things, you'd give them a character sheet to write on as you progress right from the start! I think offering your image as a PDF that has all the field indicators (your first character sheet image), could be useful, too. That way, you'd have a couple of easily printable pages that players can use on hand.

All-in-all, though.. how fantastic! Great work and it does certainly show your enthusiasm for the product!

PS: Has that MOTD thing been in FG all along? Have I missed out on the ability to do so in my campaigns?

Thanks so much for the feedback! Need to get home to respond as I’m traveling. I’ll reply in full in a few hrs. As to copyright I’m not sharing the module. Just letting u on my table as a player so I thinks it should be fine. I definitely can’t distribute the module.

Gwydion
August 25th, 2018, 21:30
Oh... and MOTD is an extension. It has been around for some time. I’ll link to the font extension when I get home unless I find it before then on my phone!

Gwydion
August 25th, 2018, 21:34
MOTD:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7736&d=1413858546
14 pt font:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16946&d=1481925929

Gwydion
August 25th, 2018, 23:40
Finally got home! Long day driving.... Ok. Let me catch up.

Hmm. I will be more specific. I meant to go into the story entry and then table of contents. I will update the language.

Noted. Will probably update. Makes sense.

Ok. So here is the thing. In general, its ok to parse stuff yourself for your own use with your gaming group. I'm not saying that there is absolutely no possibility someone will take an issue with it, but if you're doing it for your personal use, typically its ok. Now, when I parsed it for me own use and when I excerpted all the sections separately in pdf version, I made sure that whatever I shared from my google drive (the pdf's) were set to not be downloadable. They can be read, but not downloaded. So, someone can come to my table, make a character and view the info, but they can't take it with them. Again, though, I can't distribute the module as then I would be distributing the work I've done (including the parsing).

Its a good thought but again, I'm trying to avoid anything people could print. I want to direct them to the Paizo website where all of this can be downloaded officially by them. I did the parsing and the pdf excerpts just to assist players with character creation when they play in a playtest game with me. At some point this module won't be needed as Trenloe is doing phenomenal work getting everything in FG. I just thought for now this might help some players. I also thought, why not open it up for others to look at this weekend. So, for now, I think I'll just direct people to paizo to download the pdf.

Thanks!

Well.... Yes you have missed out a bit as MOTD has been around for a long time. Well over a year I think. You can thank Trenloe for that one. Oh, and you can thank Trenloe for the font too! I just cracked it open and repackaged it with another font that was available to be distributed as well and changed to 14 pt font. :)

Gwydion
August 25th, 2018, 23:43
Oh... and Trenloe, it looks like about 11-12 people came on between last night and today to create characters.. Very cool. Really need to run Rose Street Revenge when I have a chance. Its all packaged up and ready to run a group through with it. Now all I need is time... :)

ShadeRaven
August 26th, 2018, 01:03
Thanks, Gwyd! I'll employ them right away.

As far as the material goes...I was just curious because you had links to PDF snippets and wasn't sure how that worked. It would certainly be handy to reference images and maps, etc.

Honestly, I have a playtest module I worked on (as time allowed) this past week and I am even a bit confused as to how to use things like creature stat blocks, rules references, etc., within the game. In this first release, all the creatures are going to be of my creation, but as I'd like to do a short series, I most certainly will make use of creatures from the Bestiary and interpretations of the rules applied to various non-combat encounters, etc.

Gwydion
August 26th, 2018, 14:52
Hey everyone! So, yesterday had so much activity, I thought I would do this again today since I will be away with the family again most of the day. Will have the table up from about 8:00 am MT until about 3:40 pm MT for anyone wanting to jump on. Alias again is puny nail daring thief

Sertas
September 2nd, 2018, 13:58
Hello, does your character creation module allow for rolling characters using the alternative method? I manually created a character and want to put everything in FG but I don't see how I can use the alternate method. If your module allows that can you tell me when the next time your table will be up?

Thanks

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 15:34
Hey Sertas, you could certainly choose to roll using the alternative method, but the way everything is currently set up to create a character with the awesome work Trenloe has done, when you drag on your ancestry, class, etc.., it will auto-populate the ability scores for the ones that are "set". You could certainly zero those out, but if you're asking if the entire process is automated, it isn't. It might still be helpful if you want to walk through it, but it would be a bit manual. Let me know if you are still interested in checking it out and I'm happy to open my table later today.

Oh!! And welcome to the forum!

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 20:57
Good afternoon all. I saw someone try to jump on my table earlier today when I was working on something. I do have my table up again and will keep it up through most of this evening if you want to play around with character creation. Alias is puny nail daring thief

Gwydion
September 8th, 2018, 19:33
Table is up again today for character creation. Alias is puny nail daring thief