PDA

View Full Version : Item ID option not found

Asmo
August 23rd, 2018, 14:32
After one of the latest releases my maps and items show a ID symbol (green) and sometimes a not-ID'd symbol (red). I'm under the impression that i didn't see this before (using 5e ruleset if that matters).
I searched the forum and the wiki and there should be a setting in the options menu under Game (GM), but its not there (showing 10 options under Game (GM) for me). Am I overlooking something or do I need to go on a looong vacation ;-)

Talyn
August 23rd, 2018, 14:44
As of the latest release v3.3.6 that option has been deprecated and the identification feature is enabled by default.

Andraax
August 23rd, 2018, 16:25
Do people not read the release notes for new releases?

Asmo
August 23rd, 2018, 21:41
I did read the release notes and according to Google translation deprecated means in my native language something like "no longer used". But after adding items to a treasure parcel (FG fully upgraded), some of them show the red unidentified symbol (i.e. scroll of alarm) and some show green (potion of climbing). I expected all items, maps, etc to be ID'd (green), so i searched the forums and the wiki (that apparently has unupdated info) and got confused and made this thread. I might not always be 100% accurate when reading a non-native language, sorry for that.
@Andraax, sorry to have stolen some of your time
@Talyn, thx for the response
I guess i have to manually mark the items as ID'd when they show up unID'd.

Talyn
August 23rd, 2018, 21:44
The new default is for everything to be marked "identified" (unless they are specifically flagged unidentified in a reference module) however if you're in an existing campaign (ie. using data from before the update) some items may show up unidentified. New campaigns will use the new default settings just fine.

Zacchaeus
August 23rd, 2018, 22:14
Whilst the defaults is now that all items will be identified there are two exceptions. The first concerns magic items taken from the DMG. Any magic items added to a parcel from the DMG will retain their unidentified status as in the past so that players will not be able to immediately identify any magic items. The second exception can be found in certain modules such as Storm Kings Thunder, Curse of Strahd and Tomb of Annihilation. Because of the way these modules were created certain items were specifically marked as unidentified. The new policy does not override this.

I suspect therefore that you have either used the DMG to add the unidentified items to your parcel or one of the items from the aforementioned modules.

Asmo
August 24th, 2018, 07:35
I use DMG and SKT so that makes sense. Thx for the replies!

Skillkoil
August 24th, 2018, 15:52
I use DMG and SKT so that makes sense. Thx for the replies!

Yeah, all you need to do is click the Circled ID button to make any item/map/npc etc.. Identified or Unidentified. I really like having this feature for NPC's now. It lets me describe what the players are fighting w/o giving them the exact name, which alleviates the tendency for players to "meta game".

rob2e
March 31st, 2019, 04:11
Why was this option removed? I am finding it an annoyance to have to identify every magic item I put onto a player's sheet. I have to look for the "unidentified name" which is often not closely related to the actual name, then once I find it I have to open the item and ID it. Not the best way (for me). Is it possible to have the sweeping on/off switch back?

Zacchaeus
March 31st, 2019, 09:32
Why was this option removed? I am finding it an annoyance to have to identify every magic item I put onto a player's sheet. I have to look for the "unidentified name" which is often not closely related to the actual name, then once I find it I have to open the item and ID it. Not the best way (for me). Is it possible to have the sweeping on/off switch back?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44996-5e-item-identification-toggle&p=399582&viewfull=1#post399582