PDA

View Full Version : Token packages and the like.... ( ? )

Indivi_duel
June 9th, 2006, 00:01
Hi, i am planning on buying FG.

but whan i buy a DM version, what does it include ?
any tokens for monster, items, npc's and PC's?

or do i have to buy all of those packages (5 bux each) also to get a good game running ? or are they included for the, already expensive, 35$ ?

regards Indi

amannella
June 9th, 2006, 00:23
Hi,

You just get default tokens, which are very limited. There are others for free out here but the nice ones are the ones from fouruglymonsters.com, couples for free but most of them are 5$ each set.

You can also create them easily, if you are not an artist like I am just grab nice pics from the net and create your tokens with that.

But to answer your questions shortly, you only get default tokens with the dm version (letters a-z, an arrow, some color rounds thats about it).
For other ones like I said you can find free ones or buy the sets for 5$ each.

It may be expensive but this tool, if well used can a lot of fun.

Cheers!

rabbit
June 9th, 2006, 01:21
I just bought all the token packs. They're very nice. You can also make them out of art you find out and about on the web fairly easily. If you want the realistic scaled top down type, FUG is the way to go. If you want more portrait like tokens, there are a TON for Klooge you can use. PM me if you need help.

Ged
June 9th, 2006, 06:20
Hi, i am planning on buying FG.

but whan i buy a DM version, what does it include ?
any tokens for monster, items, npc's and PC's?

or do i have to buy all of those packages (5 bux each) also to get a good game running ? or are they included for the, already expensive, 35$ ?

As said, the software package includes only some "generic" and more or less genre independent tokens, but this is mainly because it is quite trivial to add the tokens you like to the game (and because a generic token can represent a village as easily as a door or a band of approaching orcs...)

The token pack products are the high-end in artwork and polish, but you can as well use any bitmap images (in a number of image formats, for instance png, gif and jpg) and drop them to the tokens folder and use them. E.g. Wizards (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20030712a) provide some nice images of monsters, which you can resize, crop and perhaps adjust the backgroud to transparent, and add to your tokens folder; if such less symbolic tokens is what you desire.

DarkStar
June 9th, 2006, 09:48
The token pack products are the high-end in artwork and polish, but you can as well use any bitmap images (in a number of image formats, for instance png, gif and jpg) and drop them to the tokens folder and use them. E.g. Wizards (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20030712a) provide some nice images of monsters, which you can resize, crop and perhaps adjust the backgroud to transparent, and add to your tokens folder; if such less symbolic tokens is what you desire.

In order to create the tokens I use in my games, I:

Find a creature (or something else) that interests me.
Load TokenTool from RPTools (https://rptools.net)website and... make the token. It's so extremely easy that it couldn't be easier. ;PThat's all there is, really. I bet you will enjoy TokenTool once you try it. It's free, as well.

amannella
June 9th, 2006, 19:15
OMG thks for the tool, it is very easy to use and works like a charm!

Griogre
June 9th, 2006, 19:57
I love Token Tool, also. Very easy to use and I strongly recommend it for anyone who wants "portrait" style tokens. An already fine tool, the utility increased greatly for those like me who are barely literate with art programs with the ability to set the ring size inside the tool. The developer seems responsive to suggestions also.

The only other tool with I find with a similar usefulness is NPC Designer which can generate and export xml you can cut and paste into FG. It does cost 15 bucks and the developer is working on something new, but in my opionion, you have already made your money back in time savings after making one non trival NPC party. The developer is also very responsive. NPC Designer (https://www.rpgattitude.com/)