PDA

View Full Version : SFS #1-01 The Commencement Sun August 26 @ 1 PM GMT

stephan_
August 22nd, 2018, 15:28
!!! Starting time will be 1 hour later, so 2 PM GMT!!!

Same scenario as the last posted game due to it being cancelled because of too few players.
If necessary, I would be open to another scenario instead if there is overwhelming demand for it and it would be suitable to new players.
Start time might be shifted one hour back if there are West Coast players.

A Starfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 1-2.

All Starfinders complete their training by conferring with Guidance—a network of uploaded personalities embodying paragons from the Starfinder Society's history. Before receiving the blessing of Guidance, the PCs must meet with and assist critical missions on behalf of key leaders of the Society's leading factions. With the events of the Scoured Stars Incident still fresh in everyone's memory, there's plenty that needs doing to set the Society back on track.

The Commencement is a replayable scenario designed to help introduce players to the factions of the Starfinder Society and areas of importance on Absalom Station.

Written by Eleanor Ferron.

Starfinder Society Scenario Tags: Repeatable

We will use Fantasy Grounds (I have an Ultimate license) and Teamspeak.

Make sure to both apply here as well as in the game calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3166), stating which character you'd like to play.

If you apply, make sure you still send me your previous chronicle sheet of the character you want to apply this chronicle to (if you already have any chronicle sheet), either here or on Discord (Fantasy Grounds channel).

Also make sure to track your purchases on the Inventory Tracking Sheet.

If you haven't already, also make sure to either build the character on FG yourself (and send it to me) or log in early enough so you can do so on game day.

Newcomers to SF, SFS and/or FG are welcome.

!!! Starting time will be 1 hour later, so 2 PM GMT!!!

Malkavian_Andi
August 22nd, 2018, 15:48
I'm in for this. Since I currently don't have a character who can still play this, I will probably build a new one (although it might just be one I'll later rebuild before playing at 2nd level).

Talen
August 22nd, 2018, 15:59
I'd like to play, but tied up this weekend. Enjoy the game!

stephan_
August 22nd, 2018, 16:16
Alright, thank you. :)

I'm in for this. Since I currently don't have a character who can still play this, I will probably build a new one (although it might just be one I'll later rebuild before playing at 2nd level).

Alright. :) I probably don't have to mention it but just in case: When we'll come to tier 1-4 scenarios I'll probably ask the more experienced player to bear in mind that most of the newer players will only have level 1 (or level 2) characters. Though it's of course not a formal requirement, +- 1 level shouldn't be a problem, +-2 levels could still work but +- 3 levels might be a bit much. :)

stephan_
August 22nd, 2018, 16:22
I am interested. Is game start time flexible? I am EST timezone, and will be unavailable until 5:30 pm GMT.

Moved discussion here.

Unfortunately only somewhat. Coordinating the different timezones is already difficult enough. If there is overwhelming demand for a little bit later start time it would be fine by me but 4 1/2 hours later might not work really well for some timezones.

Malkavian_Andi
August 22nd, 2018, 16:31
Alright, thank you. :)

Alright. :) I probably don't have to mention it but just in case: When we'll come to tier 1-4 scenarios I'll probably ask the more experienced player to bear in mind that most of the newer players will only have level 1 (or level 2) characters. Though it's of course not a formal requirement, +- 1 level shouldn't be a problem, +-2 levels could still work but +- 3 levels might be a bit much. :)

Don't worry, I usually prefer to go with the subtier aimed for by the majority. A low-level character in a high subtier is too vulnerable, and a high-level character in low subtier will gain less (sometimes painfully less) credits than they could.

stephan_
August 22nd, 2018, 16:57
Alright. :)

Based on the feedback I got so far, starting time will be indeed be one hour later, so 2 PM GMT.

jgreishaw
August 22nd, 2018, 17:19
Understood. Keep me posted if this is an option with the others.

stephan_
August 23rd, 2018, 16:59
Currently five people interested so chances are good for a legal table.

As per jgreishaw's request please let me know if a 5:30 pm GMT would also work for you. For me personally, it would be on the outer edge of my availability but doable if there's a strong demand. If other people however wouldn't be able to make it, I'd stick with 2 PM GMT.

If you want to coordinate party roles (optional), you can let people know here.

stephan_
August 23rd, 2018, 17:45
Based on the feedback so far, 5:30 PM GMT unfortunately won't work for some players, so I'll stick with 2 PM GMT.

jgreishaw
August 24th, 2018, 01:48
Based on the feedback so far, 5:30 PM GMT unfortunately won't work for some players, so I'll stick with 2 PM GMT.

No problem Stephan. I understand planning is difficult with various time zones. I'm new to Starfinder/Pathfinder, which is why I was pumped to join in on this upcoming game. I read through the core rulebook and have played 3rd Edition DnD in the past and am currently active in a FG 5e group, so I have a decent understanding of the software and how game-play generally works. The chronicle thing is new to me. From what I read it serves as a "save point" for my character as I play through these 1 shot scenarios such as this one correct? I read through this thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...iety-(Players), but every time I try to access the linked Paizo site it is always undergoing maintenance. Is the society number required?Also where can a newbie access a clean chronicle sheet and what ever other record keeping sheets that are needed? Thanks in advance!

Nainakra
August 24th, 2018, 02:58
I have a lvl 2 soldier. Working on applying the lvl up from my last session now. I was considering a combat feat from the additional resources but not having played on Fantasy Grounds was wondering if I need to stick to the core rule book.

stephan_
August 24th, 2018, 07:34
No, as long as it's mentioned as SFS legal in the Additional Ressources, it shoud be OK.

I would have Pact Worlds on FG if it helps.

No problem Stephan. I understand planning is difficult with various time zones. I'm new to Starfinder/Pathfinder, which is why I was pumped to join in on this upcoming game. I read through the core rulebook and have played 3rd Edition DnD in the past and am currently active in a FG 5e group, so I have a decent understanding of the software and how game-play generally works. The chronicle thing is new to me. From what I read it serves as a "save point" for my character as I play through these 1 shot scenarios such as this one correct? I read through this thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...iety-(Players), but every time I try to access the linked Paizo site it is always undergoing maintenance. Is the society number required?Also where can a newbie access a clean chronicle sheet and what ever other record keeping sheets that are needed? Thanks in advance!

Alright. Basically chronicles allow you to go with your character to different GMs and be able to contine where you left off, so the save point metaphor works well.

It's also a formalized way of gaining XP, credits, ... Instead of receiving them (permanently) when you defeat enemies or find a treasure hoard, you get them at the end of the session. Unfortunately this requires some record-keeping but it's necessary so that your progress doesn't depend on a particular GM's goodwill.

Unfortunately the paizo site has been down for some time this week, if you really want to and are able to play this shouldn't be a hindrance though.

You technically need a society number but due to the site being down I expect some leeway in this regard.

Chronicle sheets are always provided after the session by the GM, so you don't have to worry about that as a player. If it's your very first session with a character, the GM needs player name, character name, organized play #, character # and faction though. After your first session, you would usually just show your GM your last chronicle sheet in order to have access to this and other necessary information.

You would usually also need an Inventory Tracking Sheet (also from the paizo website)but a form-fillable version can also be found here (https://fbt.li/sfsinvtracker).

stephan_
August 24th, 2018, 11:09
Currently six spots filled (four accepted on the game calendar, 2 outside the FG forum). i'm not entirely sure however whether jgreishaw will be able to make the 2 PM GMT start time. There's also always the very real possibility of people dropping out.

As some players have a game immediately afterward, I'll try to keep the game time not longer than 4 hours, so please be sure to be there on time.

It hasn't been a problem so far but just in case: Please be aware that a younger player will be participting, so please bear that in mind while playing (language, ...).

Malkavian_Andi
August 24th, 2018, 17:15
I still have some preregistered Society numbers, so I could give you one of those if the Paizo site doesn't come back online before the game.
(These are player numbers that have been reserved for people who show up as new players at an event. They come with a confirmation code that can be used to link that number to the new player's Paizo account later.)

stephan_
August 24th, 2018, 19:35
I would have taken you up on your offer but it seems that since about 1/2 hour ago, the paizo site seems to be working again. :)

@everyone: Sorry for the conflicting information but the two people that couldn't make 5:30 pm GMT would now be able to make it. Therefore the question again: Would anyone be opposed to a 5:30 PM starting time or would you prefer around 2 PM GMT?

@jgreishaw: In case we start around 2 PM GMT: Should I still consider your spot taken or would the spot be available to other people?

On the positive side: Prep is pretty much complete. I took the liberty to make one random roll for the scenario already so you don't have to sit 5-10 minutes while I calculate the adjistments. Trust me when I say I wouldn't have chosen the result voluntarily.

Malkavian_Andi
August 24th, 2018, 20:44
5:30 pm GMT could get a bit late for me, but it should still work. If everybody else agrees to it, I won't be against it.

stephan_
August 24th, 2018, 21:49
I know, I'm in the same boat. We'll see what the others say.

For the more experienced players: As after The Commencement we'll be in non-repeatable scenario territory, you can let me know which scenarios you already played. I can't make any promises that I won't run them but I can at least take it under consideration.

Malkavian_Andi
August 24th, 2018, 22:26
Don't worry. I think there's enough interest that I can skip scenarios I have already played without there being any danger of the game not filling up ;)
Also, I suppose I can run a few scenarios sometimes, just need the time to prep ^^ And I have a GM nova replay I can use on particularly interesting scenarios (well, one for now, but that might change).

(fyi, at this point, I have played 1-00, 1-01, 1-02, 1-03, 1-04, 1-05, 1-06, 1-07, 1-08, 1-09, 1-10, 1-12, 1-14, 1-15, 1-16)

stephan_
August 24th, 2018, 23:00
Alright, well, I can try to sprinkle in some later scenarios. Might be some time though before we reach tier 3-6, let alone 5-8. Maybe Live Exploration Extreme! and then Duskmire Accord 9.

Start time: It was a relatively close decision but a majority would only be able to/would prefer around 2 PM GMT, so we'll stick with that.

If someone needs the server up for character creation (alias can be found under GM Announcements in the lower right corner of the game calendar), we'll find some suitable time. With the exception of Armory I should have the relevant FG modules. If you include stuff from the armory, make sure to also include the relevant descriptive text.

jgreishaw
August 24th, 2018, 23:02
Alright, well, I can try to sprinkle in some later scenarios. Might be some time though before we reach tier 3-6, let alone 5-8. Maybe Live Exploration Extreme! and then Duskmire Accord 9.

Start time: It was a relatively close decision but a majority woud only be able to/would prefer around 2 PM GMT, so we'lll stick with that.

If someone needs the server up for character creation (alias can be found under GM Announcements in the lower right corner of the game calendar), we'll find some suitable time. With the exception of Armory I should have the relevant FG modules. If you include stuff from the armory, make sure to also include the rellevant descriptive text.

No worries I can adjust to the planned time. Count me in!

stephan_
August 24th, 2018, 23:04
Alright. :)

Nainakra
August 24th, 2018, 23:18
I've done Skitter Shot, 1-16, and 1-18 and at lvl 3 I have AP 2 Temple of the 12 to apply.

Nainakra
August 25th, 2018, 15:44
Inventory Tracking and latest Chronicle

I'll upload my Character xml when I figure out how to get the max dex, armor check penalty, and racial AC bonus issues sorted.

kananesgi
August 25th, 2018, 17:10
Sorry I'm late to the discussion. Been a very busy week at work and the internet been down at home for a good lot of the week. I'm in for 2pm GMT. I couldn't do the later time unfortunately, but I could miss this one without a problem as I do have other things to do this weekend, too.

I'll be running Sajean Anaheim Yates again for this, and I believe this will be his third, so he'll be level 2 for the next time now. Am I correct in that I cannot apply the XP or credits from the pregen that I ran last week with Talen until Anaheim reaches the same level (3rd I believe)?

For party coordination, Anaheim is a soldier-priest from an order that worships the Black Butterfly. He is mute, but he has a small computer with a built-in artificial personality that he can talk through using hand gestures. He can do melee combat, but prefers to stand off using either a rifle or dual pistols, or heavy weapons if the situation demands (although he doesn't currently possess any heavy weapons atm).

[EDIT]BTW, "Sajean" is a title from Anaheim's order that denotes him as one of their "Warrior Acolytes" whose mission is to travel among the stars defending good and crushing evil wherever they find it. It's something I made up for him, and the word comes from a book series I'm currently listening to in my truck and isn't spelled the same as the books.

Malkavian_Andi
August 25th, 2018, 19:05
here's my character. It's a fresh character (It will be 42939-710) and will likely change before being played at 2nd level (I will probably rebuild once I can make this character a skittermander ^^).

stephan_
August 25th, 2018, 19:40
Am I correct in that I cannot apply the XP or credits from the pregen that I ran last week with Talen until Anaheim reaches the same level (3rd I believe)?

Basically two options:

1. Apply it to a 1st level character: "You can apply adventure credit from a higher-level sanctioned module or Adventure Path to a newly created, 1st-level Starfnder Society Roleplaying Guild character. When doing so, reduce the credits reward to 720 credits if the adventure grants 1 XP or 2,160 credits if it grants 3 XP. You do not beneft from any boons until your Starfnder Society Roleplaying Guild character reaches the minimum level listed on the Chronicle sheet, unless otherwise noted"

2. Wait until level 4 I believe and get the full benefits. It is a little bit unclear whether you can also apply it to characters once they reach the scenario's range (meaning basically level 3). It has been stated that you can do so in pregen-only scenarios but it's not entirely clear if you can do so in any scenario.

Discussion can be found e.g. here (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uuoj?Question-about-applying-pregen-credit-to).

Nainakra
August 25th, 2018, 20:51
Character xml

kananesgi
August 25th, 2018, 21:25
Ok, thanks for the info stephan. I remember reading that somewhere, but I hadn't been able to find it again in the very limited time I've had to look this week. I'll decide tonight if I want to apply the credit now or wait. I could apply it now, right. He's not "newly created" but he is still 1st level.

stephan_
August 25th, 2018, 21:26
Nainakra: I added Common and Vesk as languages.

Kyra: Would still need a faction as well as amount of purchases (or starting credits totals) (before game start is sufficient).

Anaheim Yates: In case you purchased something, make sure to update your character.

Jason Steel: Does he already have a Welcome to Starfinder Society chronicle sheet?

Total party composition:

Lashunta (damaya) Technomancer

Kasatha Operative

Human Soldier

Human Mystic

Vesk Soldier

Human Soldier

You should be able to handle combats.

stephan_
August 25th, 2018, 21:28
Ok, thanks for the info stephan. I remember reading that somewhere, but I hadn't been able to find it again in the very limited time I've had to look this week. I'll decide tonight if I want to apply the credit now or wait. I could apply it now, right. He's not "newly created" but he is still 1st level.

P. 6-7 SFS Guide.

stephan_
August 26th, 2018, 13:52
Server is up. Game will start in about an hour.

Please be aware that my computer had two bluescreens at the time people are joining (and only then) in the last weeks, so if the server isn't online, I'm restarting the computer.

jgreishaw
August 26th, 2018, 19:19
Nainakra: I added Common and Vesk as languages.

Kyra: Would still need a faction as well as amount of purchases (or starting credits totals) (before game start is sufficient).

Anaheim Yates: In case you purchased something, make sure to update your character.

Jason Steel: Does he already have a Welcome to Starfinder Society chronicle sheet?

Total party composition:

Lashunta (damaya) Technomancer

Kasatha Operative

Human Soldier

Human Mystic

Vesk Soldier

Human Soldier

You should be able to handle combats.

Had a great time guys. Thank you everyone for the session! Stephan see attached

stephan_
August 26th, 2018, 20:31
I think I sent out all chronicle sheet drafts. If you spot any errors/want to make any purchases feel free to tell me, otherwise I'll sign them.

stephan_
August 28th, 2018, 11:21
If you haven't received your signed chronicles, it's probably because you didn't respond yet whether you spotted any errors or not. :)

Interest check: Would we have enough players for a Tuesday (09/04) 4 PM GMT game or should I just focus on Sunday games for now?

Malkavian_Andi
August 28th, 2018, 23:06
I won't be able to make it next Tuesday, I have another game that day. Might be possible for later weeks during September. Sundays are mostly good for me.

stephan_
August 29th, 2018, 15:56
As I was informed that Monday is apparently a holiday for the US: Any interest for a game on Monday at around 4 or 5 PM GMT? Either #1-02 Fugitive on the Red Planet (supposedly a little railroad-y but fun), #1-05 The First Mandate (unless someone else wants to run it) or #1-09 Live Exploration Extreme! probably.

jgreishaw
August 29th, 2018, 18:02
As I was informed that Monday is apparently a holiday for the US: Any interest for a game on Monday at around 4 or 5 PM GMT? Either #1-02 Fugitive on the Red Planet (supposedly a little railroad-y but fun), #1-05 The First Mandate (unless someone else wants to run it) or #1-09 Live Exploration Extreme! probably.

I'd be interested. Would prefer the most combat oriented of the 3 scenarios.

Nainakra
August 29th, 2018, 23:02
I am open for monday off work for the holiday. Sundays are the days I am most likely to be free.

stephan_
August 30th, 2018, 07:57
SFS #1-02: Fugitive on the Red Planet Mon September 3 @ 5 PM GMT (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45344)