PDA

View Full Version : Starship Design Studio ~ Build PC Starship Tutorial

Octavious
August 22nd, 2018, 06:37
Hey Everyone ..

Starship Design Studio is now finished , I am building tutorials on the program ... first one is building a PC starship..

I know there are a lot of net based apps that calculate starships but Starship Design Studio will build PC, NPC and PC style NPC ships and export a module of the ship into Fantasy Grounds..
It calculates all your DC's and builds them into the starship sheet for easy references. Everything is included from power cores housings , custom frames, buying extra mounts, all the countermeasures and security items..

Ill be adding the rest of the tutorials in a few days.. I was hoping the starship section would be finalized before I finished as IM sure the xml file format may change and ill have to re write .. but right now there is no combat tracker and that is why a PC style NPC ship can be exported .

Ill be releasing Starship Design Studio soon as I get compatibility license from Piazo and a few more details finished up..

let me know what you think ..

here is the first tutorial https://youtu.be/PCu-0IPqMeI Starship Design Studio Tutorial 1 Building a PC starship

imjedi
August 22nd, 2018, 18:45
Looks really good. Can't wait to add the gem to my arsenal.

ddavison
August 22nd, 2018, 21:32
Hey Octavious, that looks very good. Well done.

Octavious
August 23rd, 2018, 01:56
Hey Thanks ! spent a lot of time on it .. and it does save lots of time.. ill get the rest of the tutorials up in a few days..

flobz
June 8th, 2019, 19:21
Hey Octavious this looks amazing and cant wait to get a copy and try it out.

EbbCubed
June 8th, 2019, 20:55
Looks awesome! Definitely going to give it a go.

Roboconn
June 14th, 2019, 14:34
I wish I could get my hands on this now! Looks like a awesome program.

Octavious
June 15th, 2019, 01:35
I am actually finished with it.. and can release it.. I have been given permission by Fantasy grounds for using their file formats,, and Paizo gave me permission to release it under their community use policy as long as I release it for free... and I will,, but Im not sure if they really understand what the program does and includes .. I have included.. all the weapons , frames computers shields and such from the rule book to make the ship . So Im not sure if Im breaking any copyright laws by doing so.. by releasing the program to the public.. There are web based ship builders that include items from the rule book as well.. and they have not been shut down..

So in conclusion this week I am going to try to contact them with the program to make sure they understand what it does.. and get a second confirmation..

As an Addition to Starship Design Studio I am coding a Starfinder Starship combat tracker as a companion to the editor. This tracker is for the GM and handle the complete ship combat with as many ship as you want. This one Im coding in C# .. I would like to work on the fantasy ground tracker.. but I just have no patience for trial and error coding without a proper SDK for the API . so there ya go. Anyway the tracker will not have any proprietary info in it so I can release it with no permissions from anyone.. Most likely ill have it finished in a few months..

madman
June 15th, 2019, 05:34
Sweet! I can not wait to see it.

Blahness98
June 15th, 2019, 18:50
If you have the community use ok, personally I'd still put in an OGL statement just to CYA since most if the items you listed sould be open content. Only the Drift is trade dress and that should be covered under the Community use. But, I am not a lawyer and talking to them would be the best idea.

Octavious
June 15th, 2019, 21:57
If you have the community use ok, personally I'd still put in an OGL statement just to CYA since most if the items you listed sould be open content. Only the Drift is trade dress and that should be covered under the Community use. But, I am not a lawyer and talking to them would be the best idea.

Thanks for the info Blahness I have the OGL and the community use in the program as well as the FG release on a splash screen that appears before the program runs , can check it to not see again but the program makes sure whomever runs it sees that on start up .. I have called them but they always refer me to the email ,, so ill try again .. but thanks for the reply.

xorne68
August 11th, 2020, 22:56
So checked everywhere on the forum is this still a thing? just recently got into Starfinder on FGU and was looking for some tools to help create starships?

Octavious
August 15th, 2020, 07:23
Hi xorne68,

Yes it is done but I have not released it .. It works great windows 7 and 10 ,, I have not messed with it in a about a year so unless the xml file format of fantasy ground has not changed it should work.. and exports ships (PC and NPC) directly to FG

I have done a lot of "freeware' in the far past for other types of games etc. but it seems the RPG world appears to be way too finicky and touchy about Proprietary Property even if its remote and second hand to the second hand so to speak.. I decided to save myself the aggravation of getting grief and not release it at all.. Its too bad cause I worked for 6 months on the thing , I have a few tutorials on you tube to show it does work..

In all fairness Smite Works did give permission to use the file format but the snag is from Paizo.. I could never get an answer from them so I said the heck with it ..If I could ever get anything definitive from them I would release it.If anyone has any suggestions on how to get some kind of an answer from those people let know . Its typical .. cant get an answer on this but if I released it and unknowingly stepped on their toes so to speak Im sure they would be on me like stink on you know what .

The real nice part about the program is it calculates all the DC for every thing and I mean everything. You can export as an NPC, a PC or a NPC PC type ship.. Another part is every party member can have a Starship Design Studio file of their ship and can discuss what upgrades they want right from the program . if you up a tier on the ship just up the tier and export to FG .. its done in a few minutes including all the DC. I can go on but look at the tuts and judge for yourself.

here is the you tube links for the tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCu-0IPqMeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaxgdGwCMy8

xorne68
August 15th, 2020, 18:23
That's a shame Octavious very impressive work. I would agree with you the gaming community is a bit fickle on intellectual properties and everyone wanting their piece of the pie. To bad it boils down to that instead of remembering why we do gaming in the first place, for fun. Anyways thanks so much for the information and fantastic work on the program.

Flyteach
August 16th, 2020, 02:38
@Octavious, it IS impressive. Pretty sure that you can release anything that's free as long as the OGL is included and you're not using Paizo artwork. If the information is on Archives of Nethys or the like, then it's freely available. It's only when you start charging that things get complicated. Nickela's spreadsheet, James Turner's online designer, along with all of PCGen fall under this type of work. All this with the understanding that I'm NOT a lawyer :).

Flyteach
August 17th, 2020, 22:57
And I would have HIGHLY encouraged you to release it until I saw the changes in the Community Use Policy.