PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Request Roll Extension - WIP

st4lk3r87
August 21st, 2018, 23:54
Hello!

As a DM I always see my players having a lot of difficulties when I ask for a Check/Save/Initiative/Skill roll. So I worked on a new extension called: "Roll For Initiative".

How it works?
The DM select one or more PC, choose a skill/save/check/init/death roll and press the "Request Roll" button. The player receives a popup window with a button to be pressed. Pressing that button will make the magic happen.

I wonder if any of you is interested on this extension and I'd like to get some feedback too.

Here's the most stable version of the extension: 5E Roll For Initiative (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27449&d=1559083269)
First Showcase Video: Youtube video (https://bit.ly/2C4cPpn)
DC, Modifier and slash command video: Youtube video (https://youtu.be/MdRbAfLnTOw)

https://i.imgur.com/8kqP6vnl.jpg

CHANGELOG

First Version

BugFix: Saving throws modifiers are not used correctly.

BugFix: GlobalRegistry console error when an FG campaign is loaded.

Added: All PC are now displaying a tooltip with their names when mouse is hovering on them.
Added: Modifier group ( Advantage/Disadvantage and Number Modifiers )
Added: Show the current roll modifier to the player
Added: Slash commands ( It's now possible to use the slash command to request rolls. Use command /rfi to get some help )

Added: Fold/Unfold bottom categories ( Skills/Extra groups )
Added: Hidden roll request
Added: DC for checks/saves/skills
Added: Options "Show DC to players"
Added: Close button for clients
Added: Client can cancel a roll request
Added: Client can open the roll request window by clicking on the sidebar stack button

Added: Raw Dice roll request ( Advantage/Disadvantage works only with d20 choice )
Fixed: Death Saving Throw are not hidden properly when the Hidden modifier is used
Fixed: Hide RAW rolls while the tutorial is running.
Improvement: Use tower for hidden Initiative roll.
Improvement: Show tower text to client when a player perform an hidden roll.
Improvement: Increase the visibility of selected PCs

Bugfix: Hotfix for check and saves
Improvement: Rearranged UI so it takes less space.

damned
August 22nd, 2018, 01:11
That looks cool st4lk3r87

celestian
August 22nd, 2018, 01:17
Very nice! I like how you used the character portraits. I think I might use that style for ready check and put a green check on it when they are ready.

Great stuff!

st4lk3r87
August 22nd, 2018, 01:27
Very nice! I like how you used the character portraits. I think I might use that style for ready check and put a green check on it when they are ready.

Great stuff!

Yes, that's the chatbox frame. I'm not entirely sure about the final style I want to use. I'd like to be close to the default style.

Thank you for the feedback!

The current plan is to create a first extension with simple and direct "Roll Request".
After that I'm thinking to treat a "Roll Request" as a record ( similar to an item,images,sounds ). The DM will be able to prepare some "Roll Request" and put them as link in his stories.

Dax Doomslayer
August 22nd, 2018, 16:32
This would be totally cool! How many times have I asked for a perception roll etc. This would speed things up immensely for my table. Great idea st4lk3r87 and thanks for doing this!!

Three of Swords
August 22nd, 2018, 16:34
Suggestion: Have an option to Select all Friendly Units as well as All PCs. Then have it roll for any friendly units in the Combat Tracker as well.

Has a lot of potential!

st4lk3r87
August 22nd, 2018, 16:47
Suggestion: Have an option to Select all Friendly Units as well as All PCs. Then have it roll for any friendly units in the Combat Tracker as well.

Has a lot of potential!

Thank you! At the moment I'm showing the list of PCs which are in the Party Sheet.

Could you give me an example?

LordEntrails
August 22nd, 2018, 18:17
Though I like this idea, imo it adds more work to the GM. Since I like to put things on the players to do, what about a Save/Check window for the players to open and use? It would be the same as what you are proposing, but would only have their own saves and checks (and init). It would be opened by an icon, or perhaps by the GM.

Three of Swords
August 22nd, 2018, 18:36
Could you give me an example?

For example, right now my players have two NPCs in their party. So it would be nice if it could also pull data from the NPC sheets for these checks/saves. It would have to query the Combat Tracker for friendly faction NPCs.

st4lk3r87
August 22nd, 2018, 18:36
Though I like this idea, imo it adds more work to the GM. Since I like to put things on the players to do
It definitely add more work on the GM. I'm planning to keep it as simple as possible. Usually I find myself waiting something like 10 seconds or more after I ask: "Ok guys, Roll for Initiative!" or "Barbarian and Bard, do a perception check".
So I think it's a balance "GM time" vs "Global Game Time". :)

what about a Save/Check window for the players to open and use? It would be the same as what you are proposing, but would only have their own saves and checks (and init). It would be opened by an icon, or perhaps by the GM.
I think there's already an extension for that. It adds Save/Check in the Actions tab. Unfortunately I forgot the name.

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2018, 18:46
This looks really cool, and I can see where some people might like this.

I'm a firm believer in people running their games how they want to run them. For me, I probably won't use this as I think it might reduce the investment and attention from my players. For a couple of reasons:

1) I expect my players to learn how to use Fantasy Grounds. If, after a couple of sessions, they still don't know how to do something straightforward/common, then I'll do a separate overview session with them. Just like in a face-to-face game, I'd expect my players (in an ongoing game for a system they should be familiar with) to keep their character sheet accurate and up-to-date and know where to find on their sheet the information they need to play.
2) If players get used to only making rolls when they see the magic box pop up, then they'll be less likely to pay attention to the game - listen to what I'm saying as the GM, describing, requesting feedback/rolls from the players. Sure, players sometimes go AFK - but I'd expect them to flag that in FG (right-click on their PC portrait in FG) and let me know if they're going to be away for more than a minute.

But, like I say, this might be something that a lot of people like using in their games. If, for you st4lk3r87, it solves "[your] players having a lot of difficulties when [you] ask for a Check/Save/Initiative/Skill roll", then that's great that you've coded a cool solution to your issue.

Great work on the coding though. :) One question - how do you handle prompting players to roll when they are controlling multiple PCs?

st4lk3r87
August 22nd, 2018, 19:42
This looks really cool, and I can see where some people might like this.
Thank you Trenloe!

1) I expect my players to learn how to use Fantasy Grounds. If, after a couple of sessions, they still don't know how to do something straightforward/common, then I'll do a separate overview session with them. Just like in a face-to-face game, I'd expect my players (in an ongoing game for a system they should be familiar with) to keep their character sheet accurate and up-to-date and know where to find on their sheet the information they need to play.

In my opinion the more automation I can get for my players, the better it is. For example Concentration Saving Throw are totally automatic in 5E ruleset. I'm not expecting my players to remember about it.
In a similar way I don't care if a player forget where the "Initiative Roll" button is cause it could be just a UX problem.

2) If players get used to only making rolls when they see the magic box pop up, then they'll be less likely to pay attention to the game - listen to what I'm saying as the GM, describing, requesting feedback/rolls from the players. Sure, players sometimes go AFK - but I'd expect them to flag that in FG (right-click on their PC portrait in FG) and let me know if they're going to be away for more than a minute.

Mmh, will they pay less attention? I mean, I don't think they pay attention just cause they have to double click on a box on their character sheet. If the player attitude is to not listen I think it will happens soon or later. No matter what the UX is.

But, like I say, this might be something that a lot of people like using in their games. If, for you st4lk3r87, it solves "[your] players having a lot of difficulties when [you] ask for a Check/Save/Initiative/Skill roll", then that's great that you've coded a cool solution to your issue.

Yes, that's mainly something I want to solve at my table and hope someone else can benefit from it.

Great work on the coding though. :) One question - how do you handle prompting players to roll when they are controlling multiple PCs?

I'm working on it at the moment. Every time a Roll is requested from GM the "Roll Request" is queued. So every request in the queue have: Roll information, User identification and PC identification.

I just want to say I appreciate all the inputs you gave me. Sometimes it's hard to remember how many different point of view there could be :)

gwhitneyy2k
August 30th, 2018, 01:47
I have a player whose disabilities make it hard for him to read. This would be a Godsend.

Mavrik6666
August 31st, 2018, 10:35
Just get it done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

kudos

st4lk3r87
August 31st, 2018, 11:58
I have a player whose disabilities make it hard for him to read. This would be a Godsend.

I'm glad to help!

Just get it done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

kudos

I'm close to a releasable version :) Probably I'll be able to release it in the weekend.

st4lk3r87
September 2nd, 2018, 02:40
Just a little bump to say that the extension is available on the first post of this thread.

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 03:33
Hmm.. Trying to download and I get an error saying invalid attachment?

st4lk3r87
September 2nd, 2018, 03:41
Hmm.. Trying to download and I get an error saying invalid attachment?

Should be fixed now. I hope.

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 03:47
Yep. Thanks!

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 14:42
I need to try this more today. Tried last night and all he modifiers seemed to be off. Sometimes it would double my red modifier for example when I rolled. I’ll give more feedback later today. Love the idea though . Cool.

st4lk3r87
September 2nd, 2018, 15:36
I need to try this more today. Tried last night and all he modifiers seemed to be off. Sometimes it would double my red modifier for example when I rolled. I’ll give more feedback later today. Love the idea though . Cool.
Thank you. But what's a red modifier?

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 15:38
Ok. Tried this again this morning after taking off two recent extensions I was playing with. I took off the hero point extension (adds an editable field on the front of the character sheet) and took off the attunement tracker extension (adds a column in the inventory tab for a tickmark to note attuned items).

Once I pulled these off the modifiers seemed to work fine. Thanks again for this!

Lol. Was trying to respond from my phone before. I meant dex modifier. Darn autocorrect!

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 15:46
Yeah, the hero point extension definitely conflicts so I'll just have to decide one or the other for now. When I have the hero point extension active as well and I roll a dex save, it exactly doubles the modifier. So, if I have +5 to dex save, if I roll from the character sheet it adds 5 and if I do the request roll and roll from there it adds 10. Tried with other characters with the same result. I'm sure they modify the same code and thus the conflict. Love the look of the extension! You really put some great work into this.

damned
September 2nd, 2018, 15:55
Hero Points creates a new field to store its value.
Unless the R4Rext uses the same field name they really should not conflict...

st4lk3r87
September 2nd, 2018, 15:55
Yeah, the hero point extension definitely conflicts so I'll just have to decide one or the other for now. When I have the hero point extension active as well and I roll a dex save, it exactly doubles the modifier. So, if I have +5 to dex save, if I roll from the character sheet it adds 5 and if I do the request roll and roll from there it adds 10. Tried with other characters with the same result. I'm sure they modify the same code and thus the conflict. Love the look of the extension! You really put some great work into this.

Thank you! Maybe I can take a look into the hero extension and change the behaviour of RFI if it's enabled.

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 16:20
Hero Points creates a new field to store its value.
Unless the R4Rext uses the same field name they really should not conflict...

Hmmm.. Maybe I need to look at any other extensions I have loaded but I don't think I have much else.... I know when I took off both extensions it worked fine and I still had the issue with the hero extension.

st4lk3r87
September 2nd, 2018, 16:32
Hmmm.. Maybe I need to look at any other extensions I have loaded but I don't think I have much else.... I know when I took off both extensions it worked fine and I still had the issue with the hero extension.

I'm trying right now. I activated RFI and Hero extensions and I can't reproduce the issue :(

I correct myself. Yes... there's something fishy going on there. I suddenly got a +25 modifier. I'm going to dig further :D

st4lk3r87
September 2nd, 2018, 17:39
The issue is fixed. I didn't find any conflict with the Hero extension.
The Saving Throw were using the Ability Score as modifier.

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2018, 18:50
The issue is fixed. I didn't find any conflict with the Hero extension.
The Saving Throw were using the Ability Score as modifier.

Ahhh.. Damned was right as usual!! :)

iotech
September 4th, 2018, 05:59
Excellent extension! Thank you very much!

Zeruel_Kagenie
September 4th, 2018, 16:14
This extension is a good idea but it needs to be able to:

1) Allow to hide the result of the check so that it is only visible to the GM.
2) Be able to assign a check with ADV, DIS, +2, +5, -2, -5 or a specific modifier.
3) Be able to assign a check with or without proficiency.
4) Be able to assign a different ability score to a skill check.
5) Be able to enter custom skills. (For different campaign settings, or if someone simply wants to modify the skills list)

st4lk3r87
September 4th, 2018, 16:53
This extension is a good idea but it needs to be able to:

1) Allow to hide the result of the check so that it is only visible to the GM.
2) Be able to assign a check with ADV, DIS, +2, +5, -2, -5 or a specific modifier.
3) Be able to assign a check with or without proficiency.
4) Be able to assign a different ability score to a skill check.
5) Be able to enter custom skills. (For different campaign settings, or if someone simply wants to modify the skills list)

6) Prepare coffee on demand :D jk

Number 1, 2 and 5 are on my roadmap!

3 and 4 are really good idea I just have to come up with a good Ux solution.

st4lk3r87
September 5th, 2018, 00:21
I started to work on the roll modifiers. Planning to add them in the middle. I have the feeling it's starting to become like airplane commands lol. Maybe I need to simplify it a bit. Maybe I'll start to use buttons with icons instead of text.

https://i.imgur.com/R4pbJgG.png

damned
September 5th, 2018, 00:23
Down the rabbit hole we go!

Mazzar
September 5th, 2018, 19:21
This looks pretty cool! I am getting a script error when I load it though.. It says "Script Error: [string "scripts/rfi.lua"]:62: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)"

Also, in an earlier post, someone suggested to allow for Adv, Dis and the modifiers.. This already works with the included modifier buttons on the bottom left of the screen. I don't think it is necessary to program that in.

The only other suggestion I saw was to have an option to only show to the DM. Maybe just have it invoke the Dice Tower if it is enabled. Can you drag the Request to Roll to the Dice Tower? Not sure if that is complicated.

st4lk3r87
September 5th, 2018, 19:46
This looks pretty cool!
Thank you!

The only other suggestion I saw was to have an option to only show to the DM. Maybe just have it invoke the Dice Tower if it is enabled. Can you drag the Request to Roll to the Dice Tower? Not sure if that is complicated.
I'm planning to add an option so the DM can request an hidden roll.

Also, in an earlier post, someone suggested to allow for Adv, Dis and the modifiers.. This already works with the included modifier buttons on the bottom left of the screen. I don't think it is necessary to program that in.

The ADV/DIS works only if the player click the ADV/DIS button before the roll. So it's using the default CoreRPG/5E mechanics. It would be cool to request the roll with adv/dis from RFI. So the player will have to click only one button.

I am getting a script error when I load it though.. It says "Script Error: [string "scripts/rfi.lua"]:62: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)"
Most probably you don't have a GlobalRegistry file. Does it happen everytime you load it? I might have a fix for that. I hope to release a new version this weekend.

Mazzar
September 5th, 2018, 19:52
Thank you!

[QUOTE]I'm planning to add an option so the DM can request an hidden roll.

Very nice!

The ADV/DIS works only if the player click the ADV/DIS button before the roll. So it's using the default CoreRPG/5E mechanics. It would be cool to request the roll with adv/dis from RFI. So the player will have to click only one button.

You'd probably have to allow to toggle which characters get ADV/DIS, etc since not all may have that ability.

Most probably you don't have a GlobalRegistry file. Does it happen every time you load it? I might have a fix for that. I hope to release a new version this weekend.

This does happen every time I load.

st4lk3r87
September 5th, 2018, 20:11
You'd probably have to allow to toggle which characters get ADV/DIS, etc since not all may have that ability.
I don't know. How many times you ask for an Initiative roll with selective ADV? Or Athletics?

Mazzar
September 5th, 2018, 20:21
I don't know. How many times you ask for an Initiative roll with selective ADV? Or Athletics?

Maybe not so much for initiative but checks. Some may use Inspiration for example. I guess a solution is to do a request for one that has an individual modifier and then do a request for the others separately.

st4lk3r87
September 5th, 2018, 23:47
Maybe not so much for initiative but checks. Some may use Inspiration for example. I guess a solution is to do a request for one that has an individual modifier and then do a request for the others separately.
Unfortunately I've never been in a situation where different PC has a different modifier on a Skill Check which is asked to the entire group. So It's definitely possible I'm not aware of that use case.

Some may use Inspiration for example
In that case the user is telling to the DM "I'm using the Inspiration point". So it's not something the DM knows in advance. The RFI is meant to be used to enhance communication from DM to Player and remove useless pause.

I have some idea in mind anyway. For Example:
Every time the player receives a "Time To Roll!", and inspiration points are available, the player is able to consume them directly from the "Time to Roll!" window. It's up to the player to decide so it's an action that should be done on the "Time to Roll" window.

I love the input I'm getting from all of you! Thank you so much!

Mazzar
September 6th, 2018, 01:51
Unfortunately I've never been in a situation where different PC has a different modifier on a Skill Check which is asked to the entire group. So It's definitely possible I'm not aware of that use case.

In that case the user is telling to the DM "I'm using the Inspiration point". So it's not something the DM knows in advance. The RFI is meant to be used to enhance communication from DM to Player and remove useless pause.

I have some idea in mind anyway. For Example:
Every time the player receives a "Time To Roll!", and inspiration points are available, the player is able to consume them directly from the "Time to Roll!" window. It's up to the player to decide so it's an action that should be done on the "Time to Roll" window.

I love the input I'm getting from all of you! Thank you so much!

These were just thoughts anyway. You make a good point that group checks probably don't need such a level of customization. Anyone can use the included modifier area of FG for any individual bonuses. FG also has effects that can be added to players which will also (probably) cause any individual bonuses to trigger. So this is not all that important.

The only issue I am having is the script error I get when loading the extension. So far, I have not seen any problems from it.. Just the message box that pops up.

st4lk3r87
September 8th, 2018, 18:44
These were just thoughts anyway. You make a good point that group checks probably don't need such a level of customization. Anyone can use the included modifier area of FG for any individual bonuses. FG also has effects that can be added to players which will also (probably) cause any individual bonuses to trigger. So this is not all that important.

The only issue I am having is the script error I get when loading the extension. So far, I have not seen any problems from it.. Just the message box that pops up.

Hey Mazzar, I just uploaded a new version with a smal fix. Now you shouldn't get that script error anymore :)

Sassaroth
September 9th, 2018, 19:31
Just downloaded it.

I have some new players, and this will make it easy until they can get use to bouncing around on multiple tabs. This really helps with speeding up combat and the like. As for the stigmata of making it easier for players to not pay attention. I would disagree. A single click verses double click or drag and drop, is not a significant investment of concentration. With this click to roll, you are guaranteeing the player is going to see that button without excuse. This does free up the players to keep their character sheets on the spot where they are, set for the next spell, next weapon attack, next skill set they want to do.
If at all, this is a streamlining to help navigate more concentration on roleplay, on the next attack, on the listening with the minimal click to roll. If I had a player that is paying less attention because they can click through and phone in a roll, then it is not the extension I should be worrying about. This would not increase, but only emphasis a player would not paying attention. I would only worry about the conversation I need to have with that player or the potential replacement.
its only one button press, instead of two, and reduces time to flip to the correct tabs.

I assume you can easily put a /command in the shortcuts to bring this up.

Improvement Idea:
Can you add somewhere that you can save and name a preset. This preset will create custom button or /command that is stored and of course noted in the extension. You can then move the /command into a short cut key. So if you find you must make everyone roll initiative (like we do every darn game). Tap a the shortcut key for the preset you made. NOW.... you not only have the quick speed that the players can press a button, the DM presses a single button. The program runs, selects all the players, selects the required roll, sends out the request and brings up the windows....ect...ect...

NOTE: I would limit this Preset/shortcut Idea to work with presents that target "ALL players" only. This would prevent a problem if there is a change in players, this making the shortcut useless or bug out.

(I noted earlier someone was mentioning that it takes longer for the DM to bring this up then the players to make the roll, This preset/shortcut addition would streamline both.)
Later on you might be able to make the preset/shortcut editable. but I figure you could just as easily delete and resave them.

st4lk3r87
September 9th, 2018, 21:45
Just downloaded it.

I have some new players, and this will make it easy until they can get use to bouncing around on multiple tabs. This really helps with speeding up combat and the like. As for the stigmata of making it easier for players to not pay attention. I would disagree. A single click verses double click or drag and drop, is not a significant investment of concentration. With this click to roll, you are guaranteeing the player is going to see that button without excuse. This does free up the players to keep their character sheets on the spot where they are, set for the next spell, next weapon attack, next skill set they want to do.
If at all, this is a streamlining to help navigate more concentration on roleplay, on the next attack, on the listening with the minimal click to roll. If I had a player that is paying less attention because they can click through and phone in a roll, then it is not the extension I should be worrying about. This would not increase, but only emphasis a player would not paying attention. I would only worry about the conversation I need to have with that player or the potential replacement.
its only one button press, instead of two, and reduces time to flip to the correct tabs.

I assume you can easily put a /command in the shortcuts to bring this up.

Improvement Idea:
Can you add somewhere that you can save and name a preset. This preset will create custom button or /command that is stored and of course noted in the extension. You can then move the /command into a short cut key. So if you find you must make everyone roll initiative (like we do every darn game). Tap a the shortcut key for the preset you made. NOW.... you not only have the quick speed that the players can press a button, the DM presses a single button. The program runs, selects all the players, selects the required roll, sends out the request and brings up the windows....ect...ect...

NOTE: I would limit this Preset/shortcut Idea to work with presents that target "ALL players" only. This would prevent a problem if there is a change in players, this making the shortcut useless or bug out.

(I noted earlier someone was mentioning that it takes longer for the DM to bring this up then the players to make the roll, This preset/shortcut addition would streamline both.)
Later on you might be able to make the preset/shortcut editable. but I figure you could just as easily delete and resave them.

Yes, I thought about shortcut too. As soon as I have time to improve it I'll start workiing on it :)
Thank you very much, the improvement idea is very good.

Sassaroth
September 10th, 2018, 02:11
No problem! Oh, one just thing that would make this even better, ans super easy to do (I hope).

This idea I pulled out of my ...err "hat" just now, should be easier and faster to complete first.

In the Extras, where you keep the initiative and death rolls:

Can you make a READY CHECK button? (I see an empty space to the right of Death save.) For instance, if a player or DM has to step away for a reason (like a bio) and the DM gives everyone a break. He can slap up a Ready Check window for all players and him/herself. It places the character portrait with "Ready? X" by it. For the DM it just places an extra one that has "DM" in place of the portrait. When the players or DM click on the pop up they get, it will toggle the X to a checkmark. But the pop up window they get will not go away. This is so they can still toggled the choice in the case a player or DM has to change their mind.... (not like a bio has ever forced me to do that....)

Then the DM just hits CONTINUE on his/her end, and removes the ready check. The game advances.

I hope that idea helps too. Okay, I am done making you work. Ha. Thank you for all the effort.

st4lk3r87
September 10th, 2018, 02:14
Actually that would be a good extra feature.

If you need a Ready check functionality you can find one on the forum.

Actually I got inspiration from that extension to create RFI.

Sassaroth
September 11th, 2018, 17:40
cool. I think I found it! Thank you.

It still wouldn't be a bad button to have. Thank you for pointing that other extension out. If you do make it on your RFI, let me know so I can redownload.

Skillkoil
September 11th, 2018, 18:04
I think this extension is pretty awesome but have you considered the fact that you are making things too easy for your players? They really don't have any incentive to learn how to use FG if they just get a popup window to click on. I want to reiterate that I am very impressed with the coding of this but I feel like players, especially new ones, need to go through that learning curve and get comfortable with using the software. Other than that I applaud your work!

*Additional*

After posting this I considered that everyone can choose if they want to use this or not. I was just taking a "Devil's Advocate" question considering how this would effect players.

Sassaroth
September 11th, 2018, 19:00
I think this extension is pretty awesome but have you considered the fact that you are making things too easy for your players? They really don't have any incentive to learn how to use FG if they just get a popup window to click on. I want to reiterate that I am very impressed with the coding of this but I feel like players, especially new ones, need to go through that learning curve and get comfortable with using the software. Other than that I applaud your work!

*Additional*

After posting this I considered that everyone can choose if they want to use this or not. I was just taking a "Devil's Advocate" question considering how this would effect players.

I thought this as well. But I also considered that there is many things in FG and on the sheet that the player still needs to do. Weapons, spell, the damages and the like to each and every effect that those are.

With each one of those, the manual step is to locate, double click, or drag drop as needed into the area that is required. This only eliminates a very small fraction on very similar a cognitive and repetitive learning.

And for new players, when you are creating the character sheet, this is a perfect time to show them how that works with the options this replaces. But other interactions will still mimic the same functions constantly. The DM is not going to be able to roll your specialized class abilities, which will use the exact same methods as the saves, ability checks, etc. Nor will this replace any of the same saves and the like that will have a special modifiers that are not affecting the player. (DM discretional environmentals, temporary modifiers and the like). so there is occurrences that will still have the players roll certain saves.

It comes down to this.

It is a tool. One that can be picked up, put down, used and bypassed. It can be temporarily withheld to teach, and aggressively used to expedite a lengthy scenario. It does not replace, nor demand to be used even when loaded. When it comes down to it the main fear of lazy or untaught players are "with if" scenarios that are speculative. Granted they are valid, but not necessarily, with weight.

Can it make rolls go faster for the areas it covers: yes
Can you choose to use it or not even if loaded: Yes
Does it replace all rolling of similar design: no
Does it eliminate a step in scanning the character sheet: partially.
Does it affect combat, roleplaying, and skills: Yes
Are you required to forgo a standard check on the character sheet: no
Can you choose to have new players roll normal (to teach the basics) and veteran players just click:yes

We are forgetting, the DM can pick and choose who gets the pop up. If you are worried the new people are not going to understand the character sheet...
Then do not click on their character when you select the roll. Best of both worlds. The vets can click and move on. The new player gets the teaching and the learning curve that is needed for us all. The results are still going to the chat channel as they normally would and incorporated as normal. So any player can click or roll. (even if they get the pop up.) Which....

You may want to have a cancel button or someway to remove the popup or remove them from the request. in the case someone rolls, instead of clicking.

Skillkoil
September 11th, 2018, 19:05
Well put Sassaroth. You laid out a very reasoned and well thought out argument on the issue, which I appreciate. In fact, you have swayed my opinion. (I know this never happens on the internet) Thanks for taking the time to make that post.

Sassaroth
September 11th, 2018, 19:33
Well put Sassaroth. You laid out a very reasoned and well thought out argument on the issue, which I appreciate. In fact, you have swayed my opinion. (I know this never happens on the internet) Thanks for taking the time to make that post.

I appreciate that. I also am of like mind. If I am wrong, i am wrong, if I am swayed. I am swayed. I do find that Fantasy grounds does tend to collect a fair number of thoughtful people with good attitudes and civil conversations.

Perhaps we should petition to have [insert popular social media site] require a session roleplaying as membership requirements. Imagine how the internet would be. (chuckles)

Zeruel_Kagenie
September 11th, 2018, 19:44
I think it's the players' job to have their character sheet optimized. With the necessary information, modifiers, effects and conditions. This extension does not replace any of that, the only thing it does is read that information and make the process more efficient, which is to obtain the result of a check. I do not believe at all that this extension influences in the least with the learning curve of FG.

I am GM, and I consider my main group sufficiently advanced with FG, at least 5 of 7 are. They handle their PCs completely alone without interrupting me, they create their own effects, conditions, and so on and they are very happy with this extension. For me as a GM, it decreases the time I have to wait for players to do their actions. And any extension that helps me gain time, is a good extension in my book.

With some improvements needed, this is one of those extensions that should be integrated into FG, maybe being a tab in the party sheet.

In addition to the things I had already mentioned, of necessary improvements, maybe these ideas could help the game even more:

1) The ability to be able to put the DC when requesting the check.
2) In the chat, it should appear if the check was a succeed or a failure.
3) To be able to close the check popup without releasing the dice.
4) Ask for a percentage dice (%). Maybe someone needs it.

iotech
September 16th, 2018, 04:23
I think this is a very useful, and very well designed extension. Many thanks to the author for sharing it.

In addition to the things I had already mentioned, of necessary improvements, maybe these ideas could help the game even more:

1) The ability to be able to put the DC when requesting the check.
2) In the chat, it should appear if the check was a succeed or a failure.
3) To be able to close the check popup without releasing the dice.
4) Ask for a percentage dice (%). Maybe someone needs it.

I agree with Zeruel_Keganie on these suggestions, particularly #1 and 2.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next, st4lk3r87!

st4lk3r87
December 22nd, 2018, 04:10
I've been very busy in these last months. Finally I have some spare time to spend on this extension :D. Here's a changelog of the latest version ( you can get it from the first post )

Added: All PC are now displaying a tooltip with their names when mouse is hovering on them.
Added: Modifier group ( Advantage/Disadvantage and Number Modifiers )
Added: Show the current roll modifier to the player
Added: Slash commands ( It's now possible to use the slash command to request rolls. Use command /rfi to get some help )

The most useful part of this update is that now you can save the slash command as a shortcut and ask for initiative easily ( Slash Command: /rfi roll=Initiative pc=ALL )

st4lk3r87
December 25th, 2018, 02:19
And there we go with another update :)

Added: Fold/Unfold bottom categories ( Skills/Extra groups )
Added: Hidden roll request
Added: DC for checks/saves/skills
Added: Options "Show DC to players"
Added: Close button for clients
Added: Client can cancel a roll request
Added: Client can open the roll request window by clicking on the sidebar stack button

Starsickle
April 15th, 2019, 13:24
Great extension!

The only thing that would be better is if you could extend the /vote xxxx function to pop similar windows for the players.

HuseyinCinar
April 16th, 2019, 21:25
Is there a list of extensions that this one clashes with?

And I agree on the /vote one.

Downloading this now but won't activate until I'm sure it doesn't clash with my other stuff.

Bonkon
April 17th, 2019, 18:28
Is there a list of extensions that this one clashes with?

And I agree on the /vote one.

Downloading this now but won't activate until I'm sure it doesn't clash with my other stuff.

Good Day HussyinCinar :)
You could always make a test campaign and activate all the extensions you want to use and see if any errors pop up :)

iotech
April 20th, 2019, 05:51
I use this extension along with a LOT of others in 5E, never had any problems with clash. Best advice is to do as @Bonkon suggested - try it out.

HuseyinCinar
April 23rd, 2019, 12:46
I used this extension in my game last night and had no clash with my other stuff. It was AWESOME! Players really liked it too.

I have a suggestion about Skills tho. When you ask for an Investigation skill check, the extension automatically uses Intelligence modifier, like the game suggests. But a DM can mismatch Ability/Skill and it creates great rolls and RP.

Is it possible if: DM selects Investigation. Intelligence gets highlighted as well. But then the DM select Strength for example. And requests roll. The dice roll sent to the player now rolls "1d20+STR+Investigation proficiency if the PC has it." This for example can apply in a situation where the party is searching the fallen debris of a building after an earthquake. The search party has to constantly move stone blocks out of the way to search under and around.

Etc etc. There are infinite examples to Mismatched skill checks. Is this something that can be applied?

I also have a question: Athletics is normally attached to Strength. If the player changes the box next to Athletics to CON in their char sheet, and then the DM requests an Athletics check using this extension: Will it roll STR(Athletics) or CON(Athletics)?

st4lk3r87
April 23rd, 2019, 12:55
I'm very happy to see you're having a good experience with that. I paused the project for a while but I might try to add mismatched rolls soon. Everything is possible :)

The only thing that would be better is if you could extend the /vote xxxx function to pop similar windows for the players.

Can you give me an example of how that should work? :)

I also have a question: Athletics is normally attached to Strength. If the player changes the box next to Athletics to CON in their char sheet, and then the DM requests an Athletics check using this extension: Will it roll STR(Athletics) or CON(Athletics)?
It should use the current skill configuration so it roll CON(Athletics).

chillybilly
April 29th, 2019, 13:06
I love this extension. A lot of times, I get whispers from a player while I'm in the middle of narrating (stuff like, I search for secret doors). Usually, I have to stop my narration (because I use push to talk, simply whispering back doesn't always work) and respond. I can now just do a few mouse clicks and have the player make a hidden roll. This is a GREAT thing!

st4lk3r87
April 30th, 2019, 22:38
I love this extension. A lot of times, I get whispers from a player while I'm in the middle of narrating (stuff like, I search for secret doors). Usually, I have to stop my narration (because I use push to talk, simply whispering back doesn't always work) and respond. I can now just do a few mouse clicks and have the player make a hidden roll. This is a GREAT thing!

I really appreciate this comment. If you have any improvement ideas to propose just let me know! :)

JohnD
May 1st, 2019, 11:52
Something like this would be nice for the other rulesets (2e, C&C) if possible. Quite nice.

Johnny Opie
May 2nd, 2019, 13:26
I picked this up today and will give it a roll in my next session. Thanks st4lk3r87!

HuseyinCinar
May 2nd, 2019, 14:00
Is it possible to ask for a hidden roll but let the player see it?

Ex: The Paladin wants to stay still to not make sound. I use the extension to ask them for a Hidden Stealth roll. The player clicks the button and rolls automatically using the Dice Tower. Only the GM sees the result.

I sometimes want to show the player the result too.

Is it possible to make the Paladin player and the GM see the roll but not others?

LordEntrails
May 2nd, 2019, 15:49
Don't roll it hidden, or take the chat results and drag it back onto the chat and it will re-print a version of the results.

HuseyinCinar
May 2nd, 2019, 16:59
The point is not allowing other players to see the roll. I want only the player who rolled to see.

LordEntrails
May 2nd, 2019, 23:37
The point is not allowing other players to see the roll. I want only the player who rolled to see.
Ah! I didn't get that. As you know, that will require an extension :) (or a mod to this one!)

HuseyinCinar
May 3rd, 2019, 10:31
I guess I can whisper the result to the player. That seems like the best way. I have no knowledge of Lua or any sort of coding so I can't write an extension! :D

st4lk3r87
May 4th, 2019, 00:42
I guess I can whisper the result to the player. That seems like the best way. I have no knowledge of Lua or any sort of coding so I can't write an extension! :D

Mmmh, interesting. I will put in the wishlist. It could be useful and also fun to implement. I'm not sure if I can send private message by scripting ( probably yes ).

Trenloe
May 5th, 2019, 05:35
I'm not sure if I can send private message by scripting ( probably yes ).
See the [recipients] argument to this API call: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/Comm.xcp#deliverChatMessage

Bonkon
May 6th, 2019, 19:00

Good Day HuseyinCinar :)
Just curious if dragging the number from the chat to the player picture would send it as a whisper?

st4lk3r87
May 26th, 2019, 00:21
I just uploaded a new version of the extension with some new updates and little improvements.

Added: Roll one die request ( Advantage/Disadvantage works only with d20 choice )
Fixed: Death Saving Throw are not hidden properly when the Hidden modifier is used
Fixed: Hide RAW rolls while the tutorial is running.
Improvement: Use tower for hidden Initiative roll.
Improvement: Show tower text to client when a player perform an hidden roll.
Improvement: Increase the visibility of selected PCs

I'm also planning to improve a bit the interface. Maybe I can create a "compact version" with smaller buttons so there will be more space for extra options.

HuseyinCinar
May 26th, 2019, 16:15
Good Day HuseyinCinar :)
Just curious if dragging the number from the chat to the player picture would send it as a whisper?

I doubt that but haven't checked.

Kalua
May 26th, 2019, 20:24
Hi st4lk3r87,

I had to revert to my backup of the old extension version as this new version does not seem to be applying character sheet modifiers (or its hiding them from output).

Thanks for your work on this, I use it every session!

st4lk3r87
May 26th, 2019, 23:46
Hi st4lk3r87,

I had to revert to my backup of the old extension version as this new version does not seem to be applying character sheet modifiers (or its hiding them from output).

Thanks for your work on this, I use it every session!

Oh!!! I'll look at that bug asap Kalua. Thank you for let me know :)

OK everything should be fixed now. I changed the UI a bit so it takes less space hope you like it.

Bugfix: Hotfix for check and saves
Improvement: Rearranged UI so it takes less space.

Thirsterhall
May 28th, 2019, 23:22
It appears the most resent version isn't adding init bonuses to init rolls. I'm just seeing straight d20 rolls.

st4lk3r87
May 28th, 2019, 23:40
It appears the most resent version isn't adding init bonuses to init rolls. I'm just seeing straight d20 rolls.

I uploaded a new version right now. I'll start to deliver two versions of the extension. A "Stable" version and a "Release Candidate". So you won't get many problems.
Thank you so much for the feedback and reports.

Rades
May 29th, 2019, 09:42
Thanks for this great addon, I can't wait to try it out!

Very minor note of feedback - under the CHECK and SAVES entries, you have COS instead of CON for Constitution rolls. The right rolls are still requested though so it's just the text labels on the buttons that are incorrect.

MrDDT
May 30th, 2019, 06:14
I have it so that "Show DC to players - off" yet it still shows the DC. Is this normal?

st4lk3r87
May 30th, 2019, 15:03
I have it so that "Show DC to players - off" yet it still shows the DC. Is this normal?

Where do you see the result? In the chat or when the user receive the request?

MrDDT
May 30th, 2019, 17:06
Where do you see the result? In the chat or when the user receive the request?

After you roll it will display the DC. Not in the pop up.

st4lk3r87
May 30th, 2019, 18:47
After you roll it will display the DC. Not in the pop up.

Yes, it's an expected behaviour. If you don't want to tell them the result you can put the option "Show results to client" to "Off". Unfortunately there's no option to hide the DC from the chat without touching the existing logic.

MrDDT
May 30th, 2019, 18:48
Thanks.
I like showing them what they rolled, but I don't want them to know how hard it was or wasnt.

MrDDT
June 2nd, 2019, 22:24
I'm having issues of it not pulling up the party of PCs.
As you can see here, there are 6 Chars, but only 4 are showing up in the RFI window, and there is no way that I can see to remove people from the RFI window. (There is a way to unselet them, but can't remove them from the top icon row)
Example
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/514515525477466127/584853988944511021/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/514515525477466127/584854427693744132/unknown.png

st4lk3r87
June 2nd, 2019, 22:47
I'm having issues of it not pulling up the party of PCs.
As you can see here, there are 6 Chars, but only 4 are showing up in the RFI window, and there is no way that I can see to remove people from the RFI window. (There is a way to unselet them, but can't remove them from the top icon row)
Example
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/514515525477466127/584853988944511021/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/514515525477466127/584854427693744132/unknown.png

The RFI list of PC is linked directly to the Party Sheet. Add your PC to the party sheet and they will be visible :)

MrDDT
June 2nd, 2019, 22:57
Thank you, duh.

MrDDT
June 3rd, 2019, 17:11
Is there a way to request custom skills?

gwhitneyy2k
June 4th, 2019, 02:44
Custom skills would be very helpful. Would use it a ton on lockpicking

istark
June 12th, 2019, 16:31
Just came here to say that this is my favorite extension out there. I love love love love love it.

st4lk3r87
June 12th, 2019, 17:13
Just came here to say that this is my favorite extension out there. I love love love love love it.

Thank you! It's always nice to hear that! If you have any feedback or ideas let me know ☺

st4lk3r87
June 12th, 2019, 17:15
Custom skills would be very helpful. Would use it a ton on lockpicking

I have it on the list of "cool stuff to add". Do you have a proposal on how it should be shown to the user?

Rusty Kneecap
June 14th, 2019, 11:15
This extension is fantastic. Its made a huge difference to my game and the players love it. Do you know of anything like this for pathfinder the rule set?

st4lk3r87
June 19th, 2019, 22:38
This extension is fantastic. Its made a huge difference to my game and the players love it. Do you know of anything like this for pathfinder the rule set?

Thank you so much! I never heard about something similar in Pathfinder sorry :(

Thunderhead
June 29th, 2019, 07:28
Holy crap! I LOVE this extension. Easily the best one I've downloaded this month. Thank you @st4lk3r87

st4lk3r87
June 29th, 2019, 13:46
Holy crap! I LOVE this extension. Easily the best one I've downloaded this month. Thank you @st4lk3r87

Thank you so much for sharing your feels! Let me know if you have any idea to improve it!

Melborne
June 30th, 2019, 21:44
Very cool extension, Might I offer an idea? Tool checks!

Dtoad
June 30th, 2019, 22:18
Very cool extension, Might I offer an idea? Tool checks!

Or even something as simple as an "add proficiency" button to cover all the custom bases, but this can already be done with modifiers.

Thunderhead
July 2nd, 2019, 07:17
Forgive me please; I didn't read through all of the posts but in a recent session I thought of something else that I'd love to see this extension do: hidden rolls for the characters without them knowing they're being checked. It's probably been suggested before, and I know there's other ways of doing this but it would be damn convenient to do a passive perception check right from the interface. Thoughts on that?

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2019, 15:46
hidden rolls for the characters without them knowing they're being checked. It's probably been suggested before, and I know there's other ways of doing this but it would be damn convenient to do a passive perception check right from the interface. Thoughts on that?
This is standard in FG. Use the party sheet - the main tab has a number of checks at the bottom - set the DC and check type and roll for all PCs in the Party Sheet. This will be a secret roll - unless you have the "Show GM rolls" option set to "On", if you do, make sure the eye icon to the left of the party sheet checks is greyed out.

Thunderhead
July 2nd, 2019, 15:51
This is standard in FG. Use the party sheet - the main tab has a number of checks at the bottom - set the DC and check type and roll for all PCs in the Party Sheet. This will be a secret roll - unless you have the "Show GM rolls" option set to "On", if you do, make sure the eye icon to the left of the party sheet checks is greyed out.

Right, but, I’d like to see it also integrated in this extension because there would be value in having it as the one-stop shop for rolling.

mattekure
July 2nd, 2019, 15:54
Forgive me please; I didn't read through all of the posts but in a recent session I thought of something else that I'd love to see this extension do: hidden rolls for the characters without them knowing they're being checked. It's probably been suggested before, and I know there's other ways of doing this but it would be damn convenient to do a passive perception check right from the interface. Thoughts on that?

Just curious, but why are you rolling for passive Perception checks? the way they are described in the PHB is:

A passive check is a special kind of ability check that doesn't involve any die rolls. Such a check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as searching for secret doors over and over again, or can be used when the DM wants to secretly determine whether the characters succeed at something without rolling dice, such as noticing a hidden monster.

Here's how to determine a character's total for a passive check: 10 + all modifiers that normally apply to the check

Thunderhead
July 3rd, 2019, 09:01
Well there you go. Guess you learn something every day! I’m new to DM’ing: I only have about 6 or 7 sessions under my belt at this point. Cheers.

EX0stasis
July 11th, 2019, 11:05
It would be really sweet if this extension had theme support for Simple Gray and Simple Brown. Does anyone know if anyone has created an add-on extension for this to add more theme support? This is the only part of my GUI that isn't consistent with my theme.

st4lk3r87
July 11th, 2019, 11:15
It would be really sweet if this extension had theme support for Simple Gray and Simple Brown. Does anyone know if anyone has created an add-on extension for this to add more theme support? This is the only part of my GUI that isn't consistent with my theme.

Can you post a screen? I just want to know how it looks now :)

EX0stasis
July 11th, 2019, 23:41
Can you post a screen? I just want to know how it looks now :)

Here's some screenshots for each theme. The main practical issue is that the selected button style for the Simple Gray theme is hard to see. The rest is just a matter of aesthetics and making everything look perfect.

Simple Gray Theme
27879 (Sidebar Icon)
27880 (Hovered)
27881 (Selected)

Simple Brown Theme
27882 (Sidebar Icon)
27883 (Hovered)

I didn't include a 6th screenshot because (a) it actually looked fine, and (b) these forums limit me to 5 images per post.

Kallussed
August 11th, 2019, 11:39
This is one of my favorite extensions. If someone were able to add support for other rulesets like Pathfinder or Starfinder, would you be interested in pulling in the changes? Maybe allow anyone willing to do so to pick your brain a bit?

st4lk3r87
August 11th, 2019, 14:24
This is one of my favorite extensions. If someone were able to add support for other rulesets like Pathfinder or Starfinder, would you be interested in pulling in the changes? Maybe allow anyone willing to do so to pick your brain a bit?

I'm not against it. But I'll not be able to support Pathfinder with newer versions. The risk is that I will break it

wmljohn
August 14th, 2019, 14:10
I just read this post from beginning to end. I can't wait to DL it and give it a try.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
November 15th, 2019, 01:58
I've been using this for a long time now, and I LOVE it.

About the only thing I wish you could do with it is when requesting an Initiative roll from all, you could have a checkbox/button to also roll all NPC Initiatives ... that would be very useful and save a few seconds of DM clicky-clicky.

IceCoolTea
December 5th, 2019, 16:15
Is the extension no longer working with 3.3.9 or is it just me?

mattekure
December 5th, 2019, 16:40
It worked fine for my last session using 3.3.9

Tyrannosaurus VeX
December 5th, 2019, 17:56
Is the extension no longer working with 3.3.9 or is it just me?

Worked fine Tuesday evening for me with 3.3.9

Beemanpat
December 5th, 2019, 18:06
Hey just got this extension. It's going help so much. Had one of my "troubled" players get on, they loved that they could see what roll was requested and do it quickly. No longer having to try to read the small text or hitting the small buttons. Thanks.

JackTaggiasco
March 31st, 2020, 21:01
did you have a git for this?
i really like to translate and add abiliy check :)

Houndy
March 31st, 2020, 21:46
Do you support FGU also? :)

amanwing
April 2nd, 2020, 19:53
Do you support FGU also? :)
I second this question

st4lk3r87
April 2nd, 2020, 20:09
I second this question

Hi, I'm not doing any support at the moment cause I'm not playing with Fantasy Grounds in this period.

st4lk3r87
April 2nd, 2020, 20:11
did you have a git for this?
i really like to translate and add abiliy check :)

No git repository, just a local one but feel free to redistribute the package in this forum with the translation you want to provide and I'll put it on the first post too

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2020, 20:41
Perhaps you would be willing to release this under a generous license like GNU GPLv3 or License: CC-BY-SA? All you would need to do is to place a statement on your first post, though a license.txt file in the extension would also help.

More info on licensing here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53781-On-Licensing-Distribution-of-Community-Content

Juzzinodda
April 4th, 2020, 08:07
Thanks a lot for this. It's great!

Dr0W
April 15th, 2020, 07:28
Oh, man. This is gold. If I could get this working with PF2... I'm having many troubles with an old player with technology block. :(

Edit: Ok played with the code and got myself a version that works with Pathfinder 2E. I'm more than willing to share it, but first I'd like to ask for permission?

gandhi39
April 18th, 2020, 23:34
Oh, man. This is gold. If I could get this working with PF2... I'm having many troubles with an old player with technology block. :(

Edit: Ok played with the code and got myself a version that works with Pathfinder 2E. I'm more than willing to share it, but first I'd like to ask for permission?

That would be great

WindrunnerCGG
April 20th, 2020, 23:13
Has anyone tried this out on Unity yet?

Dr0W
April 22nd, 2020, 17:03
I've only used this on Unity. Works fine.

Klandare
April 22nd, 2020, 19:47
Is there a way to add additional items to roll checks for that might be on the Skills tab on the 5E sheet? I am thinking for items like thieves tools which a character might have proficiency in or other items that might be there? (I am figuring it would need to be on the Skills tab seeing as it has to be able to know where to read the data from)

Dashel27
April 28th, 2020, 19:32
Sorry for a probably obvious question.... how do I add the PC's to the RfI sheet? Meaning it starts off as empty and I'm not able to drop PC's into it.

Beemanpat
April 28th, 2020, 21:03
Sorry for a probably obvious question.... how do I add the PC's to the RfI sheet? Meaning it starts off as empty and I'm not able to drop PC's into it.

If I remember right(I'm AFK) it pulls PCs from either the party sheet or combat tracker. You may have to look in options and see which it is toggled to.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
April 28th, 2020, 23:34

RFI pulls characters from the party sheet. You probably don't have the characters added to the party sheet yet.

Dashel27
April 29th, 2020, 01:41
Ok thank you both. I'm trying FG tonight with the party for the first time. I'll see if I can get it going. Appreciate it.

Houndy
April 29th, 2020, 18:24
With permission from stalker I have created an addon for this mod that works in FGU.

Currently the original extension in the first post does work with FGU, but just with some UI bugs.

However, if you want extra functionality including NPC rolls, manual concentration/save rolls and contested checks (coming soon) then check it out here :).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill&p=503059#post503059

It is in Beta so please be patient :)

Raddu
May 22nd, 2020, 03:26
This is fantastic, definitely adding it to my games.

I was really hoping it had one specific feature, but it doesn't appear to, so here goes.

Ultimately I'd like this to prompt PCs for all saving throws requested from the Combat Tracker. If that's not possible if I could perhaps drag/drop a spell or other save from an NPC and have the PCs targeted from the combat tracker prompted to make those saves, and then be able to apply damage/effects based on those saves. Or select PCs and then trigger saves based on a dropped spell/trait/feature.

I'm excited to use this!

celestian
May 23rd, 2020, 03:40
I've been asked if your options that are added to the sidebar could be included in the Menu extension I've created (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=512129&viewfull=1#post512129).

It's as simple as running this in your extension "onInit()" somewhere if you'd be so kind...

if MenuManager then
MenuManager.addMenuItem("moduleselection", "", "sidebar_tooltip_moduleselection");
end

The documentation for the function is as follows:

--[[
This will add a custom menu/window item to the Menu button.

sRecord The window class
sPath The database node associated with this window (if any)
sToolTip The tooltip string record, Interface.getString(sTooltip); Displayed when someone hovers over the menu selection
sButtonCustomText The text used as the name for the menu. If doesn't exist will look for "library_recordtype_label_" .. sRecord
]]
function addMenuItem(sRecord, sPath, sToolTip, sButtonCustomText)

If you have issues adding this feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Noelus
May 25th, 2020, 15:20
Hi,

Excellent extension. Just one thing. Whenever I ask for a d100 roll it rolls a single d100 plus a single d10 and adds them, even if have applied adv or disadv. Any ideas?

damned
May 25th, 2020, 15:30
Hi,

Excellent extension. Just one thing. Whenever I ask for a d100 roll it rolls a single d100 plus a single d10 and adds them, even if have applied adv or disadv. Any ideas?

Please specify if you are using FGU or FGC.
This is 93% likely because FGC and FGU use different methods of rolling % dice.

Noelus
May 25th, 2020, 15:53
Apologies. I'm using FGU latest build (3.3.10). And using the RFI addon for FGU.

EDD1501
May 30th, 2020, 15:25
I've been asked if your options that are added to the sidebar could be included in the Menu extension I've created (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=512129&viewfull=1#post512129).

It's as simple as running this in your extension "onInit()" somewhere if you'd be so kind...

if MenuManager then
MenuManager.addMenuItem("moduleselection", "", "sidebar_tooltip_moduleselection");
end

The documentation for the function is as follows:

--[[
This will add a custom menu/window item to the Menu button.

sRecord The window class
sPath The database node associated with this window (if any)
sToolTip The tooltip string record, Interface.getString(sTooltip); Displayed when someone hovers over the menu selection
sButtonCustomText The text used as the name for the menu. If doesn't exist will look for "library_recordtype_label_" .. sRecord
]]
function addMenuItem(sRecord, sPath, sToolTip, sButtonCustomText)

If you have issues adding this feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help.

I would love to see that.

Klandare
May 30th, 2020, 22:32
There seems to be an odd conflict with this extension and the Automatic Shield Master extension:

Request for Initiative failing:

when doing a dex save script error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_save_asm.lua"]:39: findNode: Invalid parameter 1

It only fails on Dex saving throw, all other checks and saving throws work perfectly fine.

mattekure
May 31st, 2020, 16:22
Would it be possible to add a new button at the top to randomly select 1 PC? This would be so handy for when you want to randomly choose a PC for the roll.

Houndy
May 31st, 2020, 18:16
Hi Guys,

Stalker is currently not working on this extension. If your requests/bug reports are for me and my new extension, please let me know and in the future post any bugs/requests in my forum post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill

Please note at I am only supporting FGU officially, although, it looks like (thanks to some testing by a user) it will only take a small change in my code to get this working for FGC which I will be doing this week.

@celestian
@Klandare
@mattekure
@Noelus
@Raddu

Houndy
May 31st, 2020, 21:07
This is fantastic, definitely adding it to my games.

I was really hoping it had one specific feature, but it doesn't appear to, so here goes.

Ultimately I'd like this to prompt PCs for all saving throws requested from the Combat Tracker. If that's not possible if I could perhaps drag/drop a spell or other save from an NPC and have the PCs targeted from the combat tracker prompted to make those saves, and then be able to apply damage/effects based on those saves. Or select PCs and then trigger saves based on a dropped spell/trait/feature.

I'm excited to use this!

Hi Raddu,

Not sure I full understand.

At the moment if you have the save override turned on, whenever you do anything that requires a spell save (or other save) it will automatically create a request for the player to roll. Is that waht you meant? Because if it is, then its already there :).

Houndy
May 31st, 2020, 21:42
There seems to be an odd conflict with this extension and the Automatic Shield Master extension:

Request for Initiative failing:

when doing a dex save script error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_save_asm.lua"]:39: findNode: Invalid parameter 1

It only fails on Dex saving throw, all other checks and saving throws work perfectly fine.

Can you please link to the extension and I will try make it compatible (as in my RFIA addon extension, not the original one in this post).

Houndy
May 31st, 2020, 21:50
Hi,

About to release an update which fixes this for FGU :).

Houndy
May 31st, 2020, 22:01
Would it be possible to add a new button at the top to randomly select 1 PC? This would be so handy for when you want to randomly choose a PC for the roll.

Added this to my FGU addon, it *should* work with FGC, but I do not run FGC, so let me know if any issues.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skil

mordkhaan
June 28th, 2020, 06:48
In case you guys can help..
FG Classic, using Better Menus 1.6 and 5e Roll for Initiative
Am getting this error
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_desktop.lua"]:308: attempt to index field 'subwindow' (a nil value)
This is with only the 2 extensions in question loaded and only happens for players

Better Menus 1.6 and 5e Roll for Initiative,

Raddu
July 14th, 2020, 23:01
EDIT: Oh, the other add-on, got it! Thanks!

TXCBoy36
October 3rd, 2020, 21:03
Is this extension usable and is it currently maintained?

Raddu
October 3rd, 2020, 21:10
No, it's moved to another extension, Roll For Initiative Add-On+, but that seems like it's not being actively developed, but it still works.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill

MysticArthas
October 10th, 2020, 21:24
st4lk3r87
I really like this. Initially the only request I have is to add the optional Sanity Ability to it.

Zionmatrix
February 6th, 2021, 00:30
Nvm

Jiminimonka
February 6th, 2021, 11:59
FGC error, at start and when you click from better menus
Script Error: [string "select_random_pc_button"]:1: 'end' expected near '<eof>'
Script Error: [string "select_random_npc_button"]:1: 'end' expected near '<eof>'

See here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45234-5E-Request-Roll-Extension-WIP&p=515004&viewfull=1#post515004

Zionmatrix
February 6th, 2021, 14:21
Thanks. I found that thread as well.
I should have canceled that post.

cboillot
February 28th, 2021, 01:48
The extension is reporting a version of 1.0.1.

MCFBrandao
March 16th, 2021, 19:46
There is an option to open the window of this extension with a slash command?

I'm asking that, because Better Menus hide your shortcut, and the slash command could work as an option to use both extensions together.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=587369&viewfull=1#post587369

Milmoor
March 16th, 2021, 22:21
This might also help: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=540451&viewfull=1#post540451. You can /openwindow diverse items. Not a clue if this extension is among them.

smokebadger
May 30th, 2021, 12:08
I would just like to use certain rolls , is there a possible toggle ? specifically I dont want to have to send death saving throws

smokebadger
June 5th, 2021, 11:20
We where using this last night and when I requested a D100 roll , it was rolling d100 plus tens die plus 1d10 and adding them together

Hye Roler
June 21st, 2021, 02:27
Hi - I'm getting back to using FG and just recently upgraded from Classic to Unity. I saw this extension and was excited about the ease of asking for checks. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing how to select a character... none are showing up even though I've joined a party with 2 characters to the local game I've hosted as a GM. Sorry if I'm missing something simple, but figured I'd ask.

mordkhaan
June 21st, 2021, 02:46
Make sure they are in the Combat Tracker and am not sure but also maybe the Party Sheet

Hye Roler
June 21st, 2021, 05:34
Mordkhaan - that was the fix, thanks for the quick reply. This could sure have sped up a lot of my in-person games back in the day. ;)

Not sure if it's just me, but selecting and deselecting from the form doesn't always seem to work. Once you click on something, it seems to stay highlighted. I tested it out and eventhough multiple items could be highlighted at once, it appears that the one you most recently selected will end up being sent over to the player's screen.

mordkhaan
June 21st, 2021, 06:31
I do get the odd in person game still and yeah, throwing things works best so far!
Cannot say I have seen the selection issue, presume you mean the skill for example?
I have found that each new skill I choose replaces the previous selected one
And I have forced myself into the habit of always clicking clear selected PCs or NPCs before then choosing which or I send tothe wrong one(s)...

Raddu
August 29th, 2021, 20:22
I just posted a bounty in the #fg_forge_item_posts channel on the Discord for someone to recreate this. Please show your support there if you're interested.

Tidoc
September 3rd, 2021, 13:58
Somebody is working and reactivat a similar extensions:

Raddu
September 3rd, 2021, 15:28
Here's the updated extension post: RFIA+ 0.20 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill&p=618397&viewfull=1#post618397)

Raddu
September 3rd, 2021, 15:32
Can a mod please close this thread. The other thread has activity.

DND Nerd 1995
September 20th, 2021, 17:33
I would love to see this on the Forge just so that we don't need to keep searching for the latest version

mccartysr
September 26th, 2021, 10:56
The new thread for this is https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls
(New maintainer)

jamorreu
November 13th, 2021, 17:27
I have some problem on the character selection...

mccartysr
November 13th, 2021, 23:23
I have some problem on the character selection...

This particular version is not supported and has known errors. Go to https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls for info on how to get the new one off of the Forge.

SkippyViking
July 13th, 2022, 06:39
Hi Everyone,

Have been using this ext for a while now, however its recently just broke on me, another of my players who also DM's is having the same issue, anyone have any fixes for this please?

[7/13/2022 3:31:00 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/rfia.lua"]:72: attempt to call field 'registerStackShortcut2' (a nil value)

It appears in the log, and then doesnt appear to even load the extension once in game.

Thanks!

Update: Missed the info on the previous page. Is now working through the forge.

ColinO
October 31st, 2022, 03:51
I love this extension. It is particularly great for blind rolls. As a DM, I can call for a roll and the player can respond it ~5 seconds instead of ~60 seconds. It really keeps the flow of the conversation going.

But 2022-10 version 4.3.0 of FGU doesn't seem to support the RFI tool any longer. If possible, please check the interface with FGU.

Also, if you post this extension in FG Forge, enthusiastic users such as myself can throw some money at you.

Thank you.

mccartysr
October 31st, 2022, 03:59
I love this extension. It is particularly great for blind rolls. As a DM, I can call for a roll and the player can respond it ~5 seconds instead of ~60 seconds. It really keeps the flow of the conversation going.

But 2022-10 version 4.3.0 of FGU doesn't seem to support the RFI tool any longer. If possible, please check the interface with FGU.

Also, if you post this extension in FG Forge, enthusiastic users such as myself can throw some money at you.

Thank you.

RFI is not supported. Please go to https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70407-5E-Requested-Rolls for details on the replacement to include instructions on the numerous enhancements. It is available on the Forge.