PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding the Fantasy Grounds Demo

Idward
August 21st, 2018, 23:15
I am looking at fantasy grounds for the first time and wanted to load in the Pathfinder playtest to see about character creation. However, when I click on the Pathfinder playtest rules module it shows it is not installed. Is this not part of the FG demo? I do not know how to load the rules module.

damned
August 21st, 2018, 23:36
Welcome Idward

It does appear that PathFinder 2 is not installing in the Demo.

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2018, 00:25
You need to have a FG license to access the Pathfinder Playtest material. More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44968-Pathfinder-2-0-Playtest-Feedback

lostsanityreturned
August 27th, 2018, 15:04
I am looking at fantasy grounds for the first time and wanted to load in the Pathfinder playtest to see about character creation. However, when I click on the Pathfinder playtest rules module it shows it is not installed. Is this not part of the FG demo? I do not know how to load the rules module.

I am not sure how much SW would approve of this, but you could purchase on steam to test it out and then as long as it is within 2 hours (in program time) you can refund your purchase if you don't believe that the program is going to offer what you want it to.

I say this truly believing in the value and worth of FG though, being very impressed with their current WiP 2e ruleset. Much more so than alternatives atm.
It is still getting a lot of functionality and content added to it though (for instance coin weight only came in last week). So don't go in expecting 5e levels of automation yet.

If you feel up to waiting it is also likely that FG will go on sale again with the next steam sale at the end of october

Another option would be to spend $4 or $10 on a single month on one of their subscription options. The $10 option lets people with demo versions join the game, so if you could split it between a 4 person group that would make it only $2 a person to try the program out and see if you like it or not.

The standard license (normally $40 non subscription) can also be upgraded to an ultimate license at a later date too if you go that route.

I am a bit biased though, I love using the program and have been using it during in-person games for roughly a year and a half now. (pathfinder in person, 5e online)

Gwydion
August 27th, 2018, 15:12

Hey Idward. If you want to check out the playtest before you sign up for something, I do have an ultimate license and created a module to help walk through the character creation module for the playtest. If you PM me, I'm happy to open the table for you when you have some time to poke around. I'll send you the alias of my table and you can join and check it out. Just PM if you are interested.

Oh... And welcome to the forums!

LordEntrails
August 27th, 2018, 15:32
... but you could purchase on steam to test it out and then as long as it is within 2 hours (in program time) you can refund your purchase if you don't believe that the program is going to offer what you want it to.
If you purchase it through the FG Store, you have 30 days in which you can ask for a refund if FG is not what you want/need.

See; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34624-30-day-trial-for-subscriptions-replaced-with-30-day-money-back-guarantee

Nylanfs
August 27th, 2018, 17:21
Also you could sign up for a one month sub and cancel it on the 25th day (Only in the USA though I believe?). Note do NOT cancel till you area ready to stop using it Paypal sends an automated message to Smiteworks system to cancel your sub, not when the sub runs out.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2018, 17:24
Also you could sign up for a one month sub and cancel it on the 25th day (Only in the USA though I believe?). Note do NOT cancel till you area ready to stop using it Paypal sends an automated message to Smiteworks system to cancel your sub, not when the sub runs out.
There's no country limitation on whether you can cancel a subscription or not. Details on subscriptions and cancelling them in the FAQ here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_subs criptionexplaination

Nylanfs
August 27th, 2018, 18:12
Right, but it's ran through Paypal. And I thought there were issues with Paypal and subs in some countries, ie Paypal couldn't offer them

Trenloe
August 27th, 2018, 18:24
Right, but it's ran through Paypal. And I thought there were issues with Paypal and subs in some countries, ie Paypal couldn't offer them
Nope. You're mistaking that with PayPal credit - being able to pay for a license over a few months. Nothing to do with subscriptions.

Nylanfs
August 27th, 2018, 18:27
Ahh, that was probably it.