PDA

View Full Version : XML corruption problems.

Makrolon
August 20th, 2018, 20:15
Hi,

Built a campaign, saved, got out, exported to a pendrive, inserted on my notebook to go and have a game on my friends'. All cool. Got there, had the game, was brilliant, saved, got out, then I exported my now updated campaign to the pendrive once again to have it at my desktop for editing.
When I launched it in my desktop it got me all the possible problems in the world with db.xml, extensions, windows, what the hell. And I lost everything. Searched the forums for answers, got the backups but even the backups seem to be corrupt. People said around the forums that it got corrupt because it somehow got shutdown in an incorrect way, thing is, it wasn't. So I have a couple questions:

I was hoping to edit the campaign on my desktop and using my sister's notebook for having the game at other people's places, how can I do that without having errors?
Am I limited to a solo PC for playing this game without errors? And if so, why isn't it warned somewhere that you can't switch PCs with the campaign?

I'm kind of disappointed right now, I'm sorry.

Trenloe
August 20th, 2018, 20:25
Welcome to the forums, sorry you're having problems.

Without knowing the exact details of the issues you had (error messages, etc.) it is probably one of a few things (or maybe some of these combined):

1) Your laptop and desktop are running different application versions of FG. Check which version they are running by looking in the top right hand corner of the main startup screen.
2) They are running different versions of the base rulesets - launch a campaign for the same ruleset on each computer and check the ruleset versions displayed in the chat window for CoreRPG and whichever ruleset you're playing.
3) You're either running different versions of extensions (check the chat window for versions) or you don't have the needed extensions loaded.
4) You do indeed have data corruption. But let's check the above 3 things first. :)

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2018, 20:37
By pendrive I assume you mean a small USB external flash drive?

Odds are the USB drive has gone bad. They don't last very long, especially the cheap ones. Try transferring the files from your friends computer again using something like OneDrive or Google drive.

EDIT: after you check Trenloe's first three suggestions!

Trenloe
August 20th, 2018, 20:45

Odds are the USB drive has gone bad. They don't last very long, especially the cheap ones. Try transferring the files from your friends computer again using something like OneDrive or Google drive.
Yeah, thinking about this... Try transferring again. And, make sure you do this, don't just remove the pen drive when it looks like it has finished. Eject the drive through Windows Explorer (right-click on it and select "Eject") and wait for Windows (assuming it's Windows) to say the drive can be removed.

Makrolon
August 20th, 2018, 20:51
Welcome to the forums, sorry you're having problems.

Without knowing the exact details of the issues you had (error messages, etc.) it is probably one of a few things (or maybe some of these combined):

1) Your laptop and desktop are running different application versions of FG. Check which version they are running by looking in the top right hand corner of the main startup screen.
2) They are running different versions of the base rulesets - launch a campaign for the same ruleset on each computer and check the ruleset versions displayed in the chat window for CoreRPG and whichever ruleset you're playing.
3) You're either running different versions of extensions (check the chat window for versions) or you don't have the needed extensions loaded.
4) You do indeed have data corruption. But let's check the above 3 things first. :)

Hello, thank you for your answer,

1. I've checked the versions. I got that problem before in a one-shot, so this time I had both FG versions to the same version, which are now at 3.6.6 ULT and also at the time of the game.
2. They seem to be running at 5E 3.6.6A, both of them. I assume the rulesets get updated whenever I hit the Check for Updates buttom as well?
3. I run Simple Brown Theme, and some decals, I loaded them all the same so I didn't get an error before, but it popped up anyway.

As for basic information I lacked in the main post: I tend to update both FG versions before attempting to do anything, I'm used to copying the campaign and importing it with the software offline just in case. I run 5E on both of the computers and it's the only campaign I ever use on them. I am the only one that access them and it is through my steam account. The same used for both computers to have games elsewhere other than my house.

EDIT: I tend to eject the drive as well, because I had my share of problems with these drives at the university.

Makrolon
August 20th, 2018, 20:55

EDIT: after you check Trenloe's first three suggestions!

I'll try to use Google Drive then, just in case the USB drive went bad. Also, I don't know how people refer to USB drives around the world, we just call them pendrives here :p

Trenloe
August 20th, 2018, 20:56
Sounds like everything is correct.

I can take a look at your data for you. ZIP the whole campaign directory you transferred and upload the file to a cloud sync/sharing site, then PM a link to access it? Then I can check to see what the problem might be.

Trenloe
August 20th, 2018, 20:58
I'll try to use Google Drive then...
Just to clarify here - only do this when FG is not running. Don't point any active sync/backup applications at your FG data directory. Manually copy the campaign directory (and any other files you might want to transfer) from the computer to the cloud storage, then manually copy them down from the cloud storage onto the target computer.

Mortar
August 20th, 2018, 21:00
Just make sure you save to cloud storage after you exit FG, and copy the campaign over before starting FG other PC. The problem I have with doing that is my short term memory problems and using the wrong copy.

Ninja'd by Trenloe.

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2018, 21:00
I'll try to use Google Drive then, just in case the USB drive went bad. Also, I don't know how people refer to USB drives around the world, we just call them pendrives here :p
"thumb drive" is common in my circles. Don't think I ever heard of "pendrive" :) Just was making sure.

Also sounds like you made sure you are using correct versions of all the extensions. I would try transfering again and if that doesn't work, take T.R.E.N.L.O.E. up on his offer :)

Makrolon
August 20th, 2018, 21:07

I can take a look at your data for you. ZIP the whole campaign directory you transferred and upload the file to a cloud sync/sharing site, then PM a link to access it? Then I can check to see what the problem might be.

Will do. Thank you for the attention. Just hold on a bit because I'm not at home right now, but will be in a couple of hours.

Andraax
August 20th, 2018, 21:21
"thumb drive" is common in my circles. Don't think I ever heard of "pendrive" :) Just was making sure.

"Thumb drive" is what most people I know call them as well. I've only previously ever heard "pen drive" on TV shows...

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2018, 22:15
Pen drive is what they are called in the UK. Thumb drive not so much.

Makrolon
August 21st, 2018, 20:47

Done!

Mortar
August 22nd, 2018, 15:29
Also get in the habit of checking the files individually when you copy/paste. It helps prevent you from accidentally saving the wrong file. This is something I learned the hard way (multiple times) when I started out.

Oh cause I missed it earlier..... Welcome to the forums!

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2018, 16:13
Done!
Thanks. I can load the campaign fine from the data you sent me. I replied in PM with some questions.