PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Doing additional damage on a to hit roll of 18+

Dax Doomslayer
August 19th, 2018, 18:03
Hi Folks,
I was wondering if there was a way to set up a low powered magic item (hand axe) which, upon rolling a successful hit on an 18 or higher on the to hit roll, does an addition 1d4 lightning damage. Is this possible? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

KlatuB
August 19th, 2018, 18:19
The easiest way would be to create an effect DMG: 1d8 with a target of self (if I recall correctly), then apply the effect to the character then roll the damage.

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2018, 18:27
Not specifically no. You can alter the crit range in the weapon meta data or add a property to the weapon so that it crits on an 18. you can also add in extra damage dice to the weapon meta data which get added on a crit.

However you cannot add damage only on an 18+. You would have to do that manually. So set an effect DMG: 1d4 lightning, set the targetting to Self and expend on next action. Apply the effect to the player just before damage gets rolled.

damned
August 19th, 2018, 23:00
Add 2 weapons one with and without the lightning damage - roll damage from the second weapon if the player rolls high.

Dax Doomslayer
August 20th, 2018, 14:15
Thanks for the responses folks! Damned - nice to hear from you. I think your way is probably the easiest. Is there a way to 'break out' the d4 being lightning while the 1d6 being magical/slashing? Thanks again!!

Trenloe
August 20th, 2018, 14:34
Is there a way to 'break out' the d4 being lightning while the 1d6 being magical/slashing?
See here, starting at step 12: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Creating_a_weapon

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2018, 14:35
Thanks for the responses folks! Damned - nice to hear from you. I think your way is probably the easiest. Is there a way to 'break out' the d4 being lightning while the 1d6 being magical/slashing? Thanks again!!

Yes. Just add another damage line to the weapon in the actions tab. Click the magnifying glass beside the weapon line and then click the Edit list button beside the Damage header to add a new line.

Dax Doomslayer
August 20th, 2018, 15:43
OK - I got that - thanks. My issue is that I can't figure out how to create this as part of a parcel. I can figure it out on the character sheet but is there anyway to actually create the item in a parcel? Or is it that I just need to add a second line to the character sheet as Damned suggested?

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2018, 18:16
OK - I got that - thanks. My issue is that I can't figure out how to create this as part of a parcel. I can figure it out on the character sheet but is there anyway to actually create the item in a parcel? Or is it that I just need to add a second line to the character sheet as Damned suggested?

Indeed. You can add additional damage types to an item. So you'll need to do this once the player has the weapon and has equipped it. You will then be able to create the necessary additional line in the actions tab.

Dax Doomslayer
August 20th, 2018, 18:35
OK - thanks Zacchaeus. So I'll need to wait until the player gets the weapon. That's what I kind of thought as I couldn't figure out how to do that to the actual item in the treasure parcel. Thanks for everyone's help!

Trenloe
August 20th, 2018, 18:54
To add damage dice of different types to an item (type = weapon) use "plus" in the weapon damage entry. For example: 1d8 slashing plus 1d4 lightning

This will create he correct entries when the item is added to the character sheet.

So, in this example you could have the normal weapon entry in the parcel, with the correct weight. And have a 0 weight weapon with just the damage entry mentioned above. The owning PC would add both items to their inventory, which will create the 2 different weapon damage entries mentioned.

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2018, 21:04
To add damage dice of different types to an item (type = weapon) use "plus" in the weapon damage entry. For example: 1d8 slashing plus 1d4 lightning

Now, how on earth did I forget that, that was a thing. It's been a thing for literally years.

twseifert
August 23rd, 2018, 04:03
How do you: 1)
add a property to the weapon so that it crits on an 18.

or

2)
add in extra damage dice to the weapon meta data which get added on a crit.

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2018, 05:37
How do you: 1)
Post #11

2)
Post #3