PDA

View Full Version : D&D Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is now available

ddavison
August 17th, 2018, 22:19
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5EWGTE

This is an Early Access style product from Wizards of the Coast. It's a full sized product, but there are still some additional classes, or maybe races, that they are planning to add. As Wizards of the Coast rolls out the updates, we will get it over to Rob to convert and post as a free update.

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2018, 22:48
Go Rob :D

ProfDogg
August 18th, 2018, 00:19
Will this count towards the complete D&D bundle?

ddavison
August 18th, 2018, 01:01
Will this count towards the complete D&D bundle?

It is not included in the complete D&D bundle.

jojogladco
August 18th, 2018, 03:29

I want to whine and say "but it's WotC 5E it belongs in the bundle" but honestly the bundle here is so much more customer friendly than the system that D&D Beyond uses, and I'm just going to pay full price on this one and not worry about it. Thanks for publishing this while it's in a state of flux and frequent updates.

Nyghtmare
August 18th, 2018, 04:08

Just out of curiosity, why is this? Is Eberron (and thus perhaps Ravnica) classified differently than the rest of the WotC products?

ddavison
August 18th, 2018, 04:28
Just out of curiosity, why is this? Is Eberron (and thus perhaps Ravnica) classified differently than the rest of the WotC products?

It's ultimately a judgement call. We will always have some fans who want everything in the bundle and we have others who don't want to buy anything other than what they see as the Core products. We originally had the Scourge of the Sword Coast and the other playtest adventures in the bundle and we had a reasonably large group that asked us not to force purchase of those in order to qualify for the bundle. Eberron and other DMsGuild items kind of fall into that same bucket. I hadn't fully decided on Ravnica, but I suspect it is probably best outside of the bundle too.

Myrdin Potter
August 18th, 2018, 08:48
I will be disappointed if Ravnica is out of the bundle as it will be a hardcover. I buy all the WoTC official releases.

Eberron will be the setting for a second Adventurers League season this year.

Myrdin Potter
August 18th, 2018, 08:50
I also bought Eberron from D&D Beyond And got the reduced price. I will just wait here I guess until it eventually goes on sale.

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2018, 04:26
Though I haven't bought the complete bundle, if I was in, I would not expect or desire for Wayfarer's to be included in the bundle. As mentioned, it's not (yet?) a "core" product. It's still listed as playtest material, and imo not something I would think I would have to buy if I wanted the bundle. Hopefully in a year or so it will have a print version and no longer be playtest, but until then, I don't think it fits.

But as Doug said, their will be a sizeable group on both sides.

ErrantElminster
August 19th, 2018, 18:51
It's ultimately a judgement call. We will always have some fans who want everything in the bundle and we have others who don't want to buy anything other than what they see as the Core products. We originally had the Scourge of the Sword Coast and the other playtest adventures in the bundle and we had a reasonably large group that asked us not to force purchase of those in order to qualify for the bundle. Eberron and other DMsGuild items kind of fall into that same bucket. I hadn't fully decided on Ravnica, but I suspect it is probably best outside of the bundle too.

I understand your point; for people buying the full bundle can be expensive to buy every playtest material that comes out. Nonetheless, it would be great if it had a 25% discount for the customers that already have the bundle. That way you are rewarding customers that buy everything canon Dnd, and at the same time maintaining the bundle "low cost".

Thank you.

ddavison
August 19th, 2018, 19:26
We could look at putting all the other D&D stuff into a 2nd bundle.

That would be:
D&D Map Pack Volume 1
D&D Token Pack 1
D&D Token Pack 2
D&D Scourge of the Sword Coast
D&D Legacy of the Crystal Shard
D&D Adventurers League: Rrakkma
D&D DDIAA-XGE Underworld Speculation
D&D Shackles of Blood
D&D The Tortle Package
D&D Unearthed Arcana
D&D Lair Assault: Attack of the Tyrant Claw
D&D Lair Assault: Dawn of the Forge Titan
D&D Lair Assault: Talon of Umberlee
D&D Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron
D&D Ravinca (upcoming)

I personally love the thought of Ravnica, Eberron and all other settings for D&D being available, but I know there are many D&D people who would not want to feel pressured to buy that just to maintain the ongoing discount for the bundle that they would get for Dungeon of the Mad Mage and Dragon Heist.

ErrantElminster
August 19th, 2018, 19:33

That would be:
D&D Map Pack Volume 1
D&D Token Pack 1
D&D Token Pack 2
D&D Shackles of Blood
D&D The Tortle Package
D&D Unearthed Arcana
D&D Ravinca (upcoming)

I personally love the thought of Ravnica, Eberron and all other settings for D&D being available, but I know there are many D&D people who would not want to feel pressured to buy that just to maintain the ongoing discount for the bundle that they would get for Dungeon of the Mad Mage and Dragon Heist.

I like the idea.

Myrdin Potter
August 20th, 2018, 05:51
I have almost all the second “bundle” items already, so would work for me.

However, Ravnica is a full hardback, so I still think it belongs in the main bundle.

ErrantElminster
August 20th, 2018, 06:01
I have almost all the second “bundle” items already, so would work for me.

However, Ravnica is a full hardback, so I still think it belongs in the main bundle.

I think the same but I understand why they want to do it that way

epithet
August 20th, 2018, 15:35

That would be:
D&D Map Pack Volume 1
D&D Token Pack 1
D&D Token Pack 2
D&D Shackles of Blood
D&D The Tortle Package
D&D Unearthed Arcana
D&D Ravinca (upcoming)

Just to add my $0.02, I'd like to have a discount on items in this bundle from owning each item in the main D&D bundle, but I'm not at all enthusiastic about a discount for completing this 2nd bundle, because I have no interest in many of the items on this list. For example, the "pog" tokens aren't anything I'm likely to ever spend any money on.

Zomnivore
August 20th, 2018, 16:56
I hope you do a 2nd bundle just so I know whats on offer at a glance.

I already bought the stuff for character creation like the tortle package and the unearthed arcana.

Eru the One
August 20th, 2018, 17:39
Maybe just a DMs Guild Bundle?

AzureBlade
August 23rd, 2018, 15:28
Based on the description of the bundle, it should be in it.

The D&D Complete Bundle for Fantasy Grounds contains everything released for online play through Fantasy Grounds for Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition.

It also includes all the accessories

you will have the option to pick up any newly released items at the same discount as they release.

It may have been true at one point, but now the bundle description is 100% dishonest.

ddavison
August 23rd, 2018, 15:44
Based on the description of the bundle, it should be in it.

It may have been true at one point, but now the bundle description is 100% dishonest.

It was changed because people were complaining when asked to buy all the other items -- of which there are 14.

ddavison
August 23rd, 2018, 15:54
@AzureBlade, you are correct though, that it is no longer accurate and hasn't been for quite a while. It is not intentionally dishonest and was modified a while back in response to customer feedback to make the change. This reduced the "buy-in" and requirements for buying non-essential supplements going forward in order to maintain the discount. The description wasn't technically accurate at the time that you bought it in June 2018. Are you in the camp that wants to buy everything for 5E as long as you get a discount even if that means buying many, many more products?

AzureBlade
August 23rd, 2018, 19:12
It was changed because people were complaining when asked to buy all the other items -- of which there are 14.

When? I copied that text from the page today.

AzureBlade
August 23rd, 2018, 19:15
@AzureBlade, you are correct though, that it is no longer accurate and hasn't been for quite a while. It is not intentionally dishonest and was modified a while back in response to customer feedback to make the change. This reduced the "buy-in" and requirements for buying non-essential supplements going forward in order to maintain the discount. The description wasn't technically accurate at the time that you bought it in June 2018. Are you in the camp that wants to buy everything for 5E as long as you get a discount even if that means buying many, many more products?

No, I was just pointing out that the text is incorrect and that to not have strict guidelines on what goes in it or not, its certainly conceivable that nothing will ever be added to it again and you can just say "We just didn't feel like it should be there." While I can agree with things like maps and such not being in it, it seems like core world books like Eberron should be.

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2018, 19:16
When? I copied that text from the page today.
Doug's not saying the description changed, but rather the bundle changed (about a year ago?) to not include the ancillary stuff that there was some discussion as to if it was really official 5E stuff or not. I think Doug lists a few examples of those products earlier in this thread.

AzureBlade
August 23rd, 2018, 19:23
Doug's not saying the description changed, but rather the bundle changed (about a year ago?) to not include the ancillary stuff that there was some discussion as to if it was really official 5E stuff or not. I think Doug lists a few examples of those products earlier in this thread.

And that's fine. I just feel that there should be a way for potential buyers to know what they should or shouldn't expect to be coming to the bundle because the page as it currently stands is not accurate.

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2018, 19:32
And that's fine. I just feel that there should be a way for potential buyers to know what they should or shouldn't expect to be coming to the bundle because the page as it currently stands is not accurate.
I think Doug agrees the description needs to be updated, I think he's just deciding what the bundle should and should not contain, or what additional bundles he should setup before updating the descriptions. but, I'm just guessing based upon the questions he's asking and how he has done things in the past.

So, you might want to answer his question as to if you feel everything (~14 more items) should be included in the bundle, or perhaps they should be in a bundle of their own, or some other idea you have.

AzureBlade
August 23rd, 2018, 19:40
So, you might want to answer his question as to if you feel everything (~14 more items) should be included in the bundle, or perhaps they should be in a bundle of their own, or some other idea you have.

I did answer him. I'd generally say leave out things like adventures, maps, and tokens, and such should be left out, but then that'd exclude things like Hoard of the Dragon Queen. And then, you have to say "Well, how can you put in Princes of the Apocalypse but not Legacy of the Crystal Shard?" And that's where things become confusing.

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2018, 20:09
... And that's where things become confusing.
LoL, That's one reason I'm glad Doug has to deal with it and not me.

Eru the One
August 23rd, 2018, 21:49
Legacy of the Crystal Shard is probably a bad example since it's a D&D Next adventure that FG "updated" for 5e, not a core 5e product.

epithet
August 24th, 2018, 17:07
The easy way is to just bundle the hardcovers and boxed sets (of which there is currently only 1.) Anything published through the DMs Guild wouldn't qualify. The great majority of the items that people will most want to have a discount for are the hardcover books, since the "cover price" of the digital releases tend to be pretty low.

lostsanityreturned
August 24th, 2018, 19:01
I agree with limiting the "complete" bundle to just published hardcovers and the like. And I don't really want ravinca or eberron.

I think including the unfinished paid playtest material as a part of the complete would be a horrible move.

ddavison
August 24th, 2018, 20:16
Ravnica will be a hardback.

In general, I think it is safer to err on the side of not granting a discount for a product (i.e. miss out on 25%) than it would be to force someone to pay 75% of a product they don't want.

iotech
August 25th, 2018, 03:12
FWIW, bought WGTE this afternoon, and have spent the last 5 hours crawling through it - BRAVO! Brings back a lot of good memories, and even in a playtest state, I feel like it is worth every penny. Thanks, Doug, and especially thanks to Rob2E - amazing work as always!

GavinRuneblade
August 25th, 2018, 19:13

In general, I think it is safer to err on the side of not granting a discount for a product (i.e. miss out on 25%) than it would be to force someone to pay 75% of a product they don't want.

I agree, for exactly the reason you said. Better to have someone miss out on a discount than another person be pressured into spending 75% for what they don't want and won't use. As others mentioned above having a second bundle for all the extra settings and fluff pieces (tortle package) would be a great way to handle it.

Myrdin Potter
August 25th, 2018, 19:29
In this case they could have added it for 2 weeks and then dropped it as there is no other release now and there is only the two week risk of a new player trying to “complete the bundle”. That way loyal clients get the reward.

For me, I usually buy new WoTC releases on FG the day they come out, in this case I will just wait for a sale.

FirstFrost
August 30th, 2018, 08:06
Pardon my ignorance, but I am curious to know if the actual PDF that the Wayfinder's Guide mod was derived from is included with the purchase of the FG mod. I'd like that for more casual spontaneous short burst reading or reference of the content on other more portable devices than my computer, like my phone.

I do have the luxury of and can certainly load up the Fantasy Grounds program on my MS Surface Pro tablet and read the Reference Manual pages from the FG Library module, but that process has quite a bit more friction involved and I don't always carry the Surface around with me.

Perhaps there is a way to extract or export to PDF or other reading format from the mod somehow?

I am very new to the FG community, having recently become perhaps a touch harebrained and gone whole hog and acquired the Ultimate version of the program along with the WotC 5E Bundle all at once, and I don't even really have a group to play with yet. Just getting back into it.
I first started playing D&D over 40 years ago with a bunch of folks that were in the Professional Actors Training Program at the University of Washington and it was a blast. So this is kind of a nostalgia play for me. And I don't know just how nerdly weird I might be, but I still enjoy just reading the books without really playing much, thus my interest in having the material in an easier readable form in addition to having all the cool automation VTT tech that the FG program provides that also tickles my software development background and interests.
I'm looking forward to tinkering with this platform.

Myrdin Potter
August 30th, 2018, 08:17
The PDF is not included. You can get it from DMs Guild (most WoTC books are not available in PDF at all). For portable reading, I find D&D Beyond to we east as well.

Reference manuals make reading better in FG, but it really is meant to be a VTT more than a reference.

I got my old group from 40 years ago back together via Fantasy Grounds and we have barely missed a week of playing for the past 2.5years.

damned
August 30th, 2018, 08:43
Welcome FirstFrost.

The Lost Mines of Phandelver is a good adventure to get started on in Fantasy Grounds. If you dont have a group you will assemble one quite easily as a GM.

Dont try and take on too much in one go. Learn Combat and Character Management and start from there.

ddavison
August 30th, 2018, 14:10
Pardon my ignorance, but I am curious to know if the actual PDF that the Wayfinder's Guide mod was derived from is included with the purchase of the FG mod. I'd like that for more casual spontaneous short burst reading or reference of the content on other more portable devices than my computer, like my phone.

I do have the luxury of and can certainly load up the Fantasy Grounds program on my MS Surface Pro tablet and read the Reference Manual pages from the FG Library module, but that process has quite a bit more friction involved and I don't always carry the Surface around with me.

Perhaps there is a way to extract or export to PDF or other reading format from the mod somehow?

I am very new to the FG community, having recently become perhaps a touch harebrained and gone whole hog and acquired the Ultimate version of the program along with the WotC 5E Bundle all at once, and I don't even really have a group to play with yet. Just getting back into it.
I first started playing D&D over 40 years ago with a bunch of folks that were in the Professional Actors Training Program at the University of Washington and it was a blast. So this is kind of a nostalgia play for me. And I don't know just how nerdly weird I might be, but I still enjoy just reading the books without really playing much, thus my interest in having the material in an easier readable form in addition to having all the cool automation VTT tech that the FG program provides that also tickles my software development background and interests.
I'm looking forward to tinkering with this platform.

As Myrdin Potter stated, the PDF is not included with Wizards of the Coast products. Our license is specific to being able to provide Fantasy Grounds conversions of products, so we are not able to provide any PDFs directly. Those are only available for select products that are made available on DMsGuild.com. There are other DMsGuild products that include both a PDF and a Fantasy Grounds module though. Look for the format type VTT. It won't be the major releases like the PHB, DMG, MM, etc., but it can give you a good option for Adventurers League adventures.

esmdev
August 30th, 2018, 14:38

What about doing it as a basic bundle and then an everything under the sink bundle? :)

Reynard203
August 30th, 2018, 22:34
Potential bug? We created characters for a new campaign last night and it looked like the race ability adjustments did not populate.

LordEntrails
August 30th, 2018, 23:39
Potential bug? We created characters for a new campaign last night and it looked like the race ability adjustments did not populate.
We're going to need more information than that . What order/steps did you do to create the character in? Can you share screen shots?

Reynard203
September 3rd, 2018, 16:53
We're going to need more information than that . What order/steps did you do to create the character in? Can you share screen shots?

Sorry, I was away on vacation and did not have access to the PC with FG.

Anyway, changelings get a +2 to Charisma (which does happen when you drag the race over) and a +1 to either Intelligence or Dexterity -- but no choice window appears with these options to apply it to the character's ability scores. This is as opposed to the PHB variant human, as an example.

It is not a huge deal, I just did not know if it was a known issue.

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2018, 19:58

Anyway, changelings get a +2 to Charisma (which does happen when you drag the race over) and a +1 to either Intelligence or Dexterity -- but no choice window appears with these options to apply it to the character's ability scores. This is as opposed to the PHB variant human, as an example.

I don't know :) I would report this in the 5E bug thread to make sure it gets routed to the correct person to investigate and resolve. I think I know who's responsible for this particular product, but not sure and not sure they will catch the issue from this thread. The 5E Bugs thread Mr. Z manages and makes sure the correct person gets notified.

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2018, 20:13
I'm watching :)

I've just updated the UA module with the races out of Eberron and Ravnica. It should get released tomorrow. I had to do a lot of finessing of the language and the ways in which races are dealt with to get the abilities to automatically get updated. For example in the Changling that you mentioned I had to create two spurious subraces in order to get the abilities to update. This is because FG expects a certain wording to appear in the Ability Score Increase feature and the wording for the Changling is not one which the internal FG parser recognises (it's ok with the Charisma bit but it won't accept a choice of only two abilities to increase by one - only all of them). I don't know whether Rob (who did the Eberron Guide) has the flexibility to reword things like I've done in the UA module but I'll pass on what I did to him and he may well be able to update the guide to accommodate that.

rob2e
September 4th, 2018, 01:18
I'm watching :)

I've just updated the UA module with the races out of Eberron and Ravnica. It should get released tomorrow. I had to do a lot of finessing of the language and the ways in which races are dealt with to get the abilities to automatically get updated. For example in the Changling that you mentioned I had to create two spurious subraces in order to get the abilities to update. This is because FG expects a certain wording to appear in the Ability Score Increase feature and the wording for the Changling is not one which the internal FG parser recognises (it's ok with the Charisma bit but it won't accept a choice of only two abilities to increase by one - only all of them). I don't know whether Rob (who did the Eberron Guide) has the flexibility to reword things like I've done in the UA module but I'll pass on what I did to him and he may well be able to update the guide to accommodate that.

I'll look into this...

rob2e
September 4th, 2018, 09:37

So this is a weird fix. The way it was decided to fix is that the Changeling has two subraces, one that raises DEX by 1, another that raises INT by 1. The fix has been implemented, so look for the update next time FG updates.

Nyghtmare
September 5th, 2018, 03:16
So this is a weird fix. The way it was decided to fix is that the Changeling has two subraces, one that raises DEX by 1, another that raises INT by 1. The fix has been implemented, so look for the update next time FG updates.
That would probably be the simplest way to do this, even if it is a band aid kind of approach (having to create two subraces).

GavinRuneblade
September 5th, 2018, 08:05
That would probably be the simplest way to do this, even if it is a band aid kind of approach (having to create two subraces).

Well back in earlier editions of Eberron there were three variants of changelings culturally (one race but three styles of using their powers). The Passers tried to fit in with the dominant society and hide their nature using their power to change shape only minimally, while emphasizing their acting and other charisma skills. The becomers were obsessed with learning different forms and shapeshifting as much and as accurately as possible. The seekers were mystics who believe there was some secret truth to the universe that only shapechangers could discover and they tried to minimize contact with non-shapeshifters.

If they used those three, or at least two of the three, it would be a great way to bring them into 5e. If they missed the opportunity it is disappointing.

epithet
September 6th, 2018, 01:05

Just my $0.02, but I'd rather see the Ravnica hardback be included in the bundle. While I don't care a whit about Ravnica, there will be PC options in the book and I have no problem adapting stuff across settings. It is the same for me with the SCAG - its utility for me lies in the PC options and not in the setting.