PDA

View Full Version : Players needed for a 3 Adventure Campaign

Tambryn
June 6th, 2006, 03:03
At least 4 players needed for a 3 Adventure Campaign. Characters will start at 11th level. I am open to just about all character concepts. If an official book exists I probably have it, and I am an avid enough D&D enthusiast that if I do not have it I will be happy to aquire it. We need a good balance of character classes. Multiclassing is not as issue as long as anyone doing so realizes that they gain general utility at the expense of specialization.

Character race will only be restricted by the term "Civilized"
Classes are only limited to "Good" If the class is obviously evil then the motivations for the character might not be as apropriate as it they would be for others. I deffinately want a group with the least amount of friction style distractions as possible.

The adventures will take the characters from 11th to 13th or 14th level.

I am at GMT -6. Currently stationed in southern mississippi.

I am looking to get started either this coming weekend, saturday the 10th. Depending on response and interest this date could be pushed back to the 17th. I am also open to play on pretty much any day of the week. Saturday is just a starting point for discussion.

The game will be generic D&D. The adventures will originally intended for Greyhawk, but the Greyhawk recourses available to me are pretty limited, so it will be easier to make it generic.

As the campaign will be relatively short, I will not be as adamant about character backgrounds as I tend to be. I still encourage them, but they will not be as imperative as for a longer more in depth story line.

I plan on running a few different short stories to get used to FG a little more and work out any issues before diving into a longer more drawn out campaign.

Last but not least, if you have any serious level of familiarity with the Istivin: City of Shadows Adventure Arc, then you might be less likely to enjoy these adventures than others with know knowledge at all.

If I left out any imperative information, let me know, also if you have any questions.

Tam

Llarish
June 6th, 2006, 03:29
I might be interested, though Saturdays I am starting something for my friends, so those wouldn't be good for me. So if you are changing days I might be up for stuff, if not then best of luck to you.
Llarish

Tambryn
June 6th, 2006, 04:00
Friday or any other day is just as good for me. It all depends on what works out best for everyone. Let me know what days would be best for you, and we can work from there.

Tam

heliopolix
June 8th, 2006, 18:05
I, as well.

Any day except friday.

Any time after 4:30 PM (pacific).

Later,
heliopolix

FlatNineSharpFive
June 8th, 2006, 19:05
Sounds good to me. I'm open this Saturday night around 10. I'm available nearly every evening around 9:00-10:00.

Griogre
June 8th, 2006, 21:16
I would be interested also. Though I could not start until the afternoon of the 17th. After that I would be free everyday but Fridays and Saturday mornings PST.

Tambryn
June 9th, 2006, 00:34
OK, I think we might have enough people to get this started. Our first date looks to be friday the 16th or sunday the 18th, depending if Larish is still interested or not. Respond here and let me know what will be best for everyone.

If you are serious about playing, go ahead and create a character given the guidelines above. If you have any questions let me know. I will be setting up the game in the game calender for registration.

Tam

Llarish
June 9th, 2006, 01:03
Still interested definately, as is my wife. Sunday we are available most any time during the day. On Friday I generally have some things I have to take care of between 6 and 8 pm Pacific time (GMT -8). I am generally away for about 30 minutes, but it can go longer or shorter. The work triggers when my mother-in-law gets home, as I have to help her with some things.

That being said, I am up for playing on Fridays as long as my absence is a known and accepted thing, or on Sunday when I rarely have anything that needs to get done.
Llarish

Edit: What is the stat generation that you are working with?

heliopolix
June 9th, 2006, 01:10
First, a few rules-related topics for character creation. Point buy, im assuming, unless we will be rolling stats in-game on gameday. If so, 28 or 32? Any deviation from standard HP rolls (ie re-rolling 1's, etc)? Standard gold via the DMG weath/char level (not that it matters to me, since i'll be poooor ), or some other value, or none at all (stuff to be handed at the game, etc) ?

Also, are you going to start an out-of-game thread for the campaign? Since you requested a balanced party, I think it best to know what everyone is planning on bringing to the table, so that there is less of a chance that we have a garing , easily exploitable weakness :D . I tend to let others make thier characters, and then 'fill-the-void', so to speak, so I will defer character selection untill others have decided what to make. Just in case no one has any concrete plans, or ends up being in a like-minded deferring school of thought like me, I have some ideas for a monk or a cleric. Both of them have forsaken material goods for their own reasons, but are still capable adventurers in their own right.

As far as game day, sunday the 18th will work the best, although I can weasel my way into being able to make friday 16th if thats what is best for the others.

Later,
heliopolix

FlatNineSharpFive
June 9th, 2006, 01:14
Friday the 16th is good for me. I have another game scheduled for Sunday.

Griogre
June 9th, 2006, 09:47
Friday is bad for me I run a game from 8PM to 1AM and couldn't play, Sunday the 18th would be good.

Griogre
June 9th, 2006, 09:55
Also, are you going to start an out-of-game thread for the campaign? Since you requested a balanced party, I think it best to know what everyone is planning on bringing to the table, so that there is less of a chance that we have a garing , easily exploitable weakness :D .
Like heliopolix, I am willing to play any of the four "core" classes: Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard to round out the well balanced party. I also wouldn't mind playing a Duskblade though I'm not sure that would balance in as well or a Beguiler as a Rogue substitute.

Llarish
June 9th, 2006, 16:58
I have to say I'm interested in seeing both Duskblade and Beguilers in play. They both seem to me to be over the general power curve, but I know a lot of classes can seem that way and not live up to those expectations. I'm definately not saying that I NEED to see those played here, just general discussion about them.
Along the lines of PHB2, what is up with Dragon Shaman? The class doesn't seem to have a real roll and the abilities seem to be cobbled together from Marshal, Paladin, and random locations to make a class that I didn't think made much sense. Don't know if that is just me.
I'm good with playing most anything, though I do have a lot of different ideas for specific character types. I have a 2 weapon fighter that I'm wanting to try out. =D
Llarish

FlatNineSharpFive
June 9th, 2006, 17:20
I'm playing a Human Rogue.

Since we're starting at level 11, I'm going to assume that we use a 32 point-buy system. Let me know if this isn't good for you.

Griogre
June 9th, 2006, 20:38
I have to say I'm interested in seeing both Duskblade and Beguilers in play. They both seem to me to be over the general power curve, but I know a lot of classes can seem that way and not live up to those expectations. I'm definately not saying that I NEED to see those played here, just general discussion about them.
The Dusk Blade "seems" better balanced than the Beguiler with his very limited selection of spells, but the balance is hard to judge until you see a character actually in play. Which seems to make a short campaign at a decent level a perfect place to find out. :p

Along the lines of PHB2, what is up with Dragon Shaman? The class doesn't seem to have a real roll and the abilities seem to be cobbled together from Marshal, Paladin, and random locations to make a class that I didn't think made much sense. Don't know if that is just me.
I agree, the Dragon Shaman has no redeeming features I can see. Just another is a long series of "gee I'm part Dragon or have some dragon abilities - doesn't that make me cool?". No wonder the Dragons are dying out. They aparently don't breed with anything other than non dragons and have to compete with characters who have all their "special" abilities. ;) I was so bored with the concept, I barely skimmed the class. The other three classes are at least valid concepts. I would allow them trial runs in my own game, though I think I would restrict Duskblades to elves and half elves.

Griogre
June 9th, 2006, 20:59
I'm playing a Human Rogue.

Since we're starting at level 11, I'm going to assume that we use a 32 point-buy system. Let me know if this isn't good for you.
I find it mildly disquieting there haven't been given any guidelines for character generation. Hopefully Tambryn is just busy.

Tambryn
June 10th, 2006, 16:19
32 point buy is correct.

Hit Points are max for first level. And max for each level thereafter as dictated by the class Hit Die.(This does not confer an advantage to you as players as I use the same rules for your opponents)

Each will have 60,000 gold for item purchase or saving. The city of Istivin has a 25,000 gold peice limit, it is the largest metroploitan center in the vicinity.

Feel free to play any class, I only ask that we make an effort to fill the four archetypal roles as best we can. Meatshield, Sneaker, Healer, Spell Slinger. The core classes are not required to fill these roles, as an example, the group could be a Knight, Scout, Healer and Warlock or any other variation. Then again, if the roles are not filled, if everyone plays a fighter, we will still going to venture into the night.

Tambryn
June 10th, 2006, 16:38
I also have no problem with this thread acting as an out of character thread, or any discussions can be held at in the game calender.

At this moment it looks we will start on Sunday the 18th. I hate that that might alienate anyone, but I have to cater to the needs of the many and at this moment, sunday looks to be the best starting date. If I am incorrect let me me know and I will adjust fire.

So far, everyone we have who is able to start sunday is:

Llarish
Heliopolix
Griorge
Llarish's wife

And if the game changes start date, we also have:
Flat9Sharp5

We also have room for at least one more interested player.

Tam

Griogre
June 11th, 2006, 05:38
I guess I'll start the character picking thing. Sorry Flat9Sharp5 can't make it. I suggest we post what characters we like to get things going because I haven't seen any real definate choices amoung those who can play and we seem to be in that inital -

"What do *you* want to play?"
"Don't know, what to *you* want to play?"
stage.

In mild priority order for me:

Beguiler - This is a rogue & mage/sorcerer hybrid class out of the PH2. I am proposing the class as a rogue substitue. It does have Disable Device and so really can deal with traps. It can sneak. It's spell list are pretty much made of enchantment and illusion spells, so like a rogue is weak vs undead and constructs. It does not have a sneak attack so will be weaker than a rogue vs things with SR.

Wizard - probably a vanilla evocer, offensive spell slinger.

Fighter - hand to hand type.

Cleric of Thor: Lightning & Good Domains.

Paladin of Torm

I would happily play any of these. The beguiler is a curisosity pick and I would defer to anyone who really wants to play a rogue type. I wouldn't mind playing a Duskblade either but I don't really like the class in a more or less iconic four man party. He seems like the Bard, more an ideal "fifth man".

heliopolix
June 11th, 2006, 14:33
Hehe, yeah. After a while the "you first, kind sir!" and "no, no, I must insist, you take the honor of first choice!", we'd never get anywhere. I've made up a monk. His fighting style caters well towards a handful of foes, but more than that would probably overwhelm him. If we do have a rogue around, he can certainly expect to have a generous amount of stunned foes about to work his craft on. Whether it be stickin' in the kidney with daggers, or wasting with crossbow. I also intend to use my 60 ft punch to hamper and dismay the hide-in-the-back caster types. While I would definitely be hard pressed to fulfill the role of the main fighter, I can definitely hold a flank.

Hopefully we can get the last one or two people so we can be iconic+2.

Since we will have six people, perhaps we can end up with something like this:

Main Fighter
Support Fighter
Stealthy Support / Scout
Utility Caster
Artillery Caster
Healing Caster

As a last observation, it looks like everyone's very flexible in what they are willing to play, which means we are unlikely to step on someones toes if we pick a character to play and declare it. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else brings to the table.

Later,
heliopolix

Tambryn
June 11th, 2006, 16:54
I also plan to be online for a few hours wednesday and thursday evenings. The ruleset can be downloaded if needed, and characters can be uploaded. Once you create them go ahead and post them here. I will be using E-tools to check calculations.

Or, if you prefer, you can e-mail them to me at [email protected]

Tam

Griogre
June 12th, 2006, 19:16
Another question. Are you going to use voice? I find it nice for speed, but not a requirement. If you wish to use voice, I can probably get the use of the dedicated teamspeak voice server that I use to run my game.

heliopolix
June 12th, 2006, 21:04
I second the question about voice chat. I have my own server that I use to run my games on, and wouldn't have a problem providing it for this one either.

Later,
helio

Tambryn
June 12th, 2006, 21:09
I am all for using voice as a supplement to the game. I have a small amount of experience with TS and welcome the assistance of those of you who have been using it longer.

Tam

Tambryn
June 12th, 2006, 22:15
I am going over your character Heliopolix and there are a couple things worth mentioning.

It looks like you used 28 instead of 32 points for attribute purchasing.
What did you pick for your 2nd level bonus feat?
Could you break down for me how you aquired each feat, the count just seems off to me, and I know if you explain it to me I will see where I am mistaken.

I can't wait to see the rest of your characters.

Tam

Lallatwiddle
June 13th, 2006, 03:38
Hello everyone,
Sorry for my delayed response. I've been keeping up via Llarish (I'm his wife). I noticed a mention of voice chat possibly being used. If so, I would highly recommend Ventrilo over TS because it has a MUCH better sound codec so quality is cleaner. I have a private server for both TS and for Ventrilo and would be happy to "loan out" either of them for this game.
If any config. help is needed, I would be glad to help.

WRose

Llarish
June 13th, 2006, 04:39
Hey guys. I was just wondering if Item Creation feats will influence gear aquisition at all. Working on some ideas. From what I have heard I think I might make a cleric type character for the group. Not 100% sure yet.
Llarish

Lallatwiddle
June 13th, 2006, 04:53
So thinking about it, I think I might bring a fighter to the table if everyone's ok with it.
I'm open to changing though.
WRose.

Llarish
June 13th, 2006, 04:55
Hehe, I think I was the one interested in fighter before (and still am) just know that you have played more of them and so are better at it. I'm used to casters, though I love the theory of fighters. I just rarely get to play them, so would be a bit out of my element I fear at 11th. Just have to start up a fighter in another game from level 1 sometime.
Llarish

Edit: As I am looking at my character being put together, I'm thinking that he is more of a support caster rather than a primary cleric. He is definately able to provide healing, but I am looking at using a fairly large portion of his spell slots as buffs everyday for the group which leaves him short on healing during a fight. Not sure what everyone is looking at.

So far what I have heard is this -

WRose - Fighter
Helio - Monk (support fighter)
Griogre - Beguilder (stealth/trap guy with some really good casting potential)
Llarish - Cleric (Building support caster primary)

Do we have any others who are going to playing? If we don't, should we look at leadership as a possible feat to bring the group up in numbers? I find it strange that some more folks haven't posted up interest. Maybe we should start a new thread stating that we are looking for 2 more folks for Sunday at these times.

Llarish

Tambryn
June 13th, 2006, 14:02
We can make that happen.

heliopolix
June 13th, 2006, 17:23
Ah, looks like you were correct. When I added the counts up again, it came to 30 points. Increasing Con from 12->14 will round out nicely to 32. And I did forget about the 2nd level monk feat. I will take Combat Reflexes.

As far as the rest of the feats go, here's how I calculated them:
Regular Feats - 1, 3, 6, 9
Human Bonus Feat - 1
Monk Bonus Feats - 1, 1, 2, 6
Exaulted Bonus Feats (from Vow of Poverty) - 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10

As far as item creation goes, my monk has forsworn all material temptations in his quest for enlightenment.

On Ventrillo over TS, it doesnt matter much to me, but I have some trouble hosting the Vent server software for some reason. If you have one we can use, that would be fine with me.

If we for some reason need to use my server as a back-up, here's the relevant info: IP:72.232.107.202:13560, pw:grapevine. I idle there regularly, feel free to hop on to chat, or whatever.

Later,
helio

Griogre
June 13th, 2006, 20:21
I'm currently on my final project for school this track. I will post up a character after I finish Thursday.

It sounds like we are going to do voice. I guesss we should find out if we are all on broadband. I use teamspeak for my game because one of my players is on dialup. I'm on slow fiber obtics similar in speed to DSL.

Sounds like we could use still use an offesive caster and healer type. I suppose if we can't get a wizard direct damage type I can pick up a wand to do some direct damage.

Lallatwiddle
June 13th, 2006, 21:38
Llarish and I are on a cable connection.
I'll PM my Vent server info to people shortly in case we decide to use it. There's an 8 client max on the server version I use, but that shouldn't be a problem for us.
I finished up my character last night, so as soon as I get the OK on my build and info I will post a PDF on here of my character.

WRose

Tambryn
June 14th, 2006, 03:43
Your character concept looks fine WRose. I am also on a cable modem, I will have to defer to those of you with more experience as for which Voice program we use.

I also see no issue with your build Llarish, and I will look more into the Vigorous Circle and Persist combo. Is this referenced in the BoED, or some other tome? Also, the deities available are the D&D Pantheon as described in Dieties and Demigods. They are, Bahamut, Boccob, Carellon Larethian, Ehlonna, Erythnul, Fharlanghn, Garl Glittergold, Gruumsh, Heironeous, Hextor, Kord, Kurtulmak, Lolth, Moradin, Nerull, Obad-Hai, Olidamara, Pelor, St. Cuthbert, Tiamat, Wee Jas and Yondalla. Where did you find the Planning domain?

What time do all of you think might be best for Sunday evening? I am at GMT-6 and the earliest I will be able to start is about 6pm my time. Let me know what you think.

I will have FG up tomorrow night, and I will post the server alias here.

Tam

Tambryn
June 14th, 2006, 03:46
Oh yeah, Item Creation. Everyone has just enough experience to make them 11th level. If you wanted to create a couple items you would have to pay all associated charges as well as XP. If this took your character down to 10th level so be it. We'll make it work.

Tam

Lallatwiddle
June 14th, 2006, 04:08
GMT -6 at 6pm would be GMT -8 at 4 pm correct? If so, that time is fine with me.
WRose

Llarish
June 14th, 2006, 04:15
Planning domain and a lot of others are listed in the Spell Compedium. Most of the domains there are not new, but have been out in other products in the past like Complete Divine.

As a side note on the Spell Compedium, it is a very nice resource to have as it not only brought a large number of spells into one source but it revamped a number of the less desirable spells. If this is not a source that you have at your fingertips or were planning on using it would definately influence the character I am making as I was using the SpCs write up on spells that were changed in it.

A great resource for Greyhawk deities is RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign. They have a 100+ page document about the deities of Greyhawk. Planning is not covered in the document either though, as it was only recently put into a source that LG would even look at. The best thing about the LG Deities document is that it is probably the best up to date resource that there is on Greyhawk deities, and you can download it for free.

Vigourous Circle is limited to a max duration in the Duration: entry of the spell. Some read this as a limitation on its normal duration, which can be modified by metamagic feats, others read this as a hard cap on how long the spell can last. So I wanted to ask how you saw it.

I am available to play at 6 pm (-6 GMT) on Sundays. I'm up for going until 4 am (-6 GMT) if folks are up for it, but probably not likely.

Would taking a Craft feat allow you to exceed the gold cap for Istivin on items that you are crafting?

Llarish

Tambryn
June 14th, 2006, 04:45
I have the Spell Compendium and have no problem with you using it as a reference. I didn't recognize the domain right off the bat because the SpC is not the kind of book I read, but more of a reference when necessary.

Tam

Griogre
June 14th, 2006, 04:45
Planning domain and a lot of others are listed in the Spell Compedium. Most of the domains there are not new, but have been out in other products in the past like Complete Divine.

As a side note on the Spell Compedium, it is a very nice resource to have as it not only brought a large number of spells into one source but it revamped a number of the less desirable spells. If this is not a source that you have at your fingertips or were planning on using it would definately influence the character I am making as I was using the SpCs write up on spells that were changed in it.
SC is a great resource, though anything with a 1,000 spells is going to have some broken ones. Aside from the updated domains, many 3.0 spells were updated and balanced. Like Llarish, I was planning on using it as the source of spell descriptions for anything not in the PH or PH2. As long as we are talking about spell write ups are you using the changes to polymorph detailed in the PH2?

I am available to play at 6 pm (-6 GMT) on Sundays. I'm up for going until 4 am (-6 GMT) if folks are up for it, but probably not likely.
Going late is also ok for me as long as we start on Sunday and don't go for more than 24 hours. :eek:

Llarish
June 14th, 2006, 04:59
Great. Glad to hear that you have the SpC, I thought that you did from some earlier statements that you had made. So, I'm waiting on hearing which deities have planning domain access.
Llarish

Lallatwiddle
June 14th, 2006, 05:00
Woot, going late sounds great, as long as we don't push it to 24+ hours.
Uploaded my character sheet: B'vaekor (https://pages.prodigy.net/meng25/rpg/B'vaekor.pdf)

Edit -- Silly me...I forgot to count my gloves of dex. I updated the sheet to reflect that.

slowsnake
June 14th, 2006, 11:30
Hi,Tambryn. I'm interested in joining your game. Sunday pm is good for me, I'm in AZ. Been using FG and teamspeak, so no problems there. Will run a dwarf barb, dwaf rogue or dwarf cleric. Hope theres room left. My DM[Griogre] suggisted to see if room is left to play. Hope to talk to you tonight about the game. David Thanks for your time.

Tambryn
June 14th, 2006, 14:25
Be happy to have you Slowsnake, and once we hear from Niku over here our numbers will be rounded out nicely. Check the other posts in this thread to get an idea of what everyone else is playing. I think there are a couple roles we are looking to fill, and at least one of your concepts will work fine.

I will also have FG up tonight for anyone wanting to download the ruleset and upload characters or just hash out any details.

Tam

Tambryn
June 14th, 2006, 14:26
I should also have that Deity list for you by tonight Llarish.

Tam

Lallatwiddle
June 14th, 2006, 17:23
Tambryn,
What time will you be having your server up? I'd like a chance to DL the ruleset. Also, could you please PM me the host address? Thanks much,

WRose

heliopolix
June 14th, 2006, 21:08
Aye, the address would be nifty. I will definitely be there to get the ruleset, etc.:D

Later,
helio

Tambryn
June 15th, 2006, 00:54
Ok, just got home.

The server alias is "bold gate epic echo", see you soon.

Tam

Tambryn
June 15th, 2006, 01:21
Llarish, the Persistant Vigorous Circle would be an incredible combo, basically allowing you as the party cleric to never have to cast a healing spell. But............there is one thing that prevents this combo from reaching fruition.

As quoted from the 3.5 system reference document:

"PERSISTENT SPELL [METAMAGIC]

Prerequisite: Extend Spell.

Benefit: A persistent spell has a duration of 24 hours. The persistent spell must have a personal range or a fixed range. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You need not concentrate on spells such as detect magic or detect thoughts to be aware of the mere presence of absence of the things detected, but you must still concentrate to gain additional information as normal. Concentration on such a spell is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. "(---->A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level.<----)""

Sorry. Will have that planning domain deity list posted soon.

Tam

slowsnake
June 15th, 2006, 01:22
Hi, Tam. David here. I need the IP host address, for teamspeak. David Thanks for your time. [email protected]

heliopolix
June 15th, 2006, 01:43
Heh, you could take Persistent Spell, and then Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), spend 7 turn undead attempts to make one spell last all day though, of any level. The errata on DM changed it so that you can only take it for a metamagic feat you already know. The downside of vigorous circle is that it will eventually heal all wounds, but doesnt do so quickly. IE it wont last long against a giant or two. Also, any dispel or somesuch ruins it. A persistent righteous might, otoh.. the mice love that combo, they really do.

Later,
helio

Tambryn
June 15th, 2006, 01:52
I believe that TeamSpeak will be hosted by one of the other players. I do not have enough experience with it yet and am focusing on the adventure. As soon as someone who can host it is online I will get the info to you.

Tam

heliopolix
June 15th, 2006, 01:58
I know wrose's Vent server is up, but she sent the details via PM a couple of days and I will respect that and not post them publicly here. In the mean time, the TS server 72.232.107.202:13560 (pw: grapevine), is available.

helio

Tambryn
June 15th, 2006, 02:00
Holy dang, Greyhawk has a lot of deities. I think we will stay with the "D&D" pantheon.

Given the list I provided above, you can choose which one provides you access to the planning domain as long as their alignment does not contain the "chaotic" descriptor.

Have fun. If you have any questions about any of them, let me know.

Tam

Tambryn
June 15th, 2006, 02:24
OK, I am a tired monkey. Gonna go to bed. I will leave my FG server up at the alias listed above. Feel free to upload characters and download the ruleset, I will not be here to chat with you, but you might see each other on there. I will have it up again tomorrow evening as well, hopefully earlier than tonight.

One other thing. If you have a token you want to use for your character, e-mail it to me.

Tam

heliopolix
June 15th, 2006, 02:54
Heh, perhaps there is some glitch, as I have been unable to connect to that alias this whole afternoon. C'est la vie...

helio

Llarish
June 15th, 2006, 03:16
That is exactly what I am coming in with, and messaged Tambryn about. I asked if the combo would be acceptable, as I didn't want to bring in something that he felt was too overpowered. If seeing what I am doing (looking at giving a +2 to D20 rolls, +2 AC, +1 attack during a full attack, +3 to hit and damage in melee, and Fast Healing 3) is too overpowering, I can understand that.

The one thing that I definatly do want to bring up, is that it is all my feats to accomplish those goals. The combination makes the character a strong buff factory, but gives very little power for himself. The character design is to empower the rest of the party with those persisted spells, some temporary buffs, and aid them with healing primarily. The sacrifices that are made are low DC spells, low number of bonus spells based off wisdom, no CWI (which under these rules is still probably the most powerful feat in the game), lower scored heals (because of no augment healing), and no fighting capability.

However, all that said (and hopefully listened to) I can understand not allowing the combo in. Divine Metamagic is an extremely powerful feat combined with almost any metamagic (Chain, Persist, Empower, Widen, and Quicken are the biggest ones that come to mind but all of them are very powerful). I know that I am looking forward to seeing the Persist build play out in a long term campaign sometime, and am one of the few GMs who will let people in with it at times. I want to see if all the above justifications are applicable.

So, I await your response on the issue Tambryn. I'm great either way, if the answer is no on it, I think I might try a bard, if we have a cleric type (which it kinda sounded like we had a person who was interested in it), but am still up for most any class.
Llarish

Llarish
June 15th, 2006, 03:24
Heh, you could take Persistent Spell, and then Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), spend 7 turn undead attempts to make one spell last all day though, of any level. The errata on DM changed it so that you can only take it for a metamagic feat you already know. The downside of vigorous circle is that it will eventually heal all wounds, but doesnt do so quickly. IE it wont last long against a giant or two. Also, any dispel or somesuch ruins it. A persistent righteous might, otoh.. the mice love that combo, they really do.

Later,
helio

Sadly the errata on Righteous Might makes it a lot less entertaining to use. As for the Divine Metamagic errata, yeah, I know it and was running it in my build. and the healing problems are exactly like Helio says, Vigourous Circle is great for after the fight and small heals throughout the battle (it definately adds up) but healing is still very important during the fight.

As far as power level, the persist metamagic + divine metamagic I would probably look at as around as powerful as Vow of Poverty from BoED for the right characters. I ran a Healer from MHB with Vow of Poverty and the anti combat ones too. The character was a fairly powerful one, though obviously it was once again only powerful at enabling other people. (Seeing a pattern to my characters yet?)

But I have never seen the Persist + DM actually running in a game. It changes a large amount of the common assumptions that take place in a DnD game.

Anyway, have a good nite all. Hope to hear from you on this matter soon Tambryn, though I know you went to bed. Sleep well.
Llarish

heliopolix
June 15th, 2006, 05:04
Heh, funny you should mention the VoP. <moxie_accent>My monk is seeking enlightenment, and has forsworn all material possessions, save a few sacred to his order, see.....</moxie_accent>. At any rate, this game appears as if its going to be a bit on the powerful side of the pendulum, so perhaps you'll get to try things that certainly wouldnt fly in a lower powered one.

As far as support characters go, I hear ya. The Swiss-Army Wizard is an old favorite of mine. When you look at the effectiveness of, say, a single fireball versus a single haste, it really fits the bill. Any combat where you dont have to lift a finger (well, perhaps one finger, and wiggle it a bit), is a good thing.

Anyways, looking forward to gameday.
helio

Llarish
June 15th, 2006, 05:12
hehe...yep, I understand. Actually, I was aware of the VoP, which is why I brought it up. I'm looking forward to seeing all the tech that you can whip out with a VoP monk at 11th level.
Llarish

heliopolix
June 15th, 2006, 05:35
Yeah, while most of the monks I've ever played or created for someone (3-4 in 3.0-.5) tended to be very mobile, dancing in-and-out of combat, going for the casters, etc, this one is a bit different in his outlook. Continuously trying to strengthen himself, he will often pick targets that he feels will be a very real challenge, to push himself that extra bit. So far, his skill (and luck!) have kept him alive, but who can say what the future might bring..

helio

Llarish
June 15th, 2006, 06:40
WRose has a character that is a monk of like 18th level. She is generally one of the most powerful characters at a table. She has a large amount of good buff gear that she has been lucky in acquiring, but she can take a lot of stuff. She is Rng 1/Mnk 17. Ranger she picked up for proficiency with the Guisarme for trip/reach benefits.

My dwarven cleric has Spell Pen and Greater Spell Pen just to make sure that I can bust her SR on almost every spell that I need to get off. As a side benefit, it helps me with the outsiders that we encounter from time to time.

Have had a lot of good times with those characters. Have worked them up from 1st level over the years.
Llarish

Lallatwiddle
June 15th, 2006, 06:52
I PMed my ventrilo info to Snowflake. :)
If anyone prefers to use the teamspeak server instead, due to familiarity etc I'm totally good with that too. Just let me know, I have programmed Helio's TS server into my server list already.
See you all this weekend.
Sadly, I didn't catch the FG Alias post early enough it seems. I can't log on now so I'll just have to do it this weekend.

WRose

Tambryn
June 15th, 2006, 23:57
Back up again, the alias today is "meek ally dead thug".

Sorry Llarish, I did not catch the fact that the spell slot of the spell does not change because you are using negative or positive energy to power it. And as I am going to interpret 20ft as a "fixed" range, then I will go ahead and allow the combo. If it proves to over-powering I as the DM will make adjustments, but once I allow the character, you will not have to change it. And know that an opponent with a high enough spellcraft bonus will know that you are a significant source of the party's resiliance.

Tam

heliopolix
June 16th, 2006, 00:17
After several unsuccessful attempts yesterday with the old alias, I'm now going to post after the first unsuccessful attempt today, which has just occurred. Has anyone else been able to connect to Tambryn so far? I'd really like to resolve this sooner rather than later.

Later,
helio

Lallatwiddle
June 16th, 2006, 00:22
I'm unable to log onto the server either, router issue perhaps?

- WRose

Llarish
June 16th, 2006, 00:31
OK, I will go ahead and put the character together then.

Your comment about opponents recognizing that it is me that does it is a bit confusing to me. I don't have a problem with an opponent figuring out how this has been done, but the 20 ft. range is only used at the casting of the spell. After that the recipients of the spell can travel anywhere and it will continue to work on them.

As for opponents recognizing, most would probably see it as a non-persisted version of the spell, as long term visuals of the group are uncommon, but not unknown.

However, as for people going after a cleric, I am very used to it and it is generally at the top of many intelligent monsters lists of people to take down. Generally, the cleric gets sidelined for more pressing PCs though...I just hope that this cleric is tough enough for the task. =D

Just wanted to make sure that you and I were on the same page about all of this. Will have a character and a history in to you later on today.

As a final question does Heironeous sound OK for the Planning domain? He is the God of Justice, and common worshippers are judges and constables. These facets of Heironeous would seem to suggest that Planning would be reasonably important to such a god.

Thanks for the thoughts Tambryn.

Also, Helio, WRose, and I seem to be the only folks that are talking in here other than our DM. I'm somewhat concerned that we are down to 3 players with only 2 full days before we get to play.
Llarish

Tambryn
June 16th, 2006, 00:39
Looking into the connection now.

See to your questions after I fix this issue.

Tam

Tambryn
June 16th, 2006, 00:49
My first thought is that Norton's is messing with things. Disabled it now. Can you connect?

Tam

Tambryn
June 16th, 2006, 00:51
I am also signed onto the TS server if you want to chat with me there while I fix this.

Tam

Tambryn
June 16th, 2006, 01:01
Heironeous sounds fine.

As far as rocognizing Persistant Vigorous Circle, I meant that it someone notices that the effect is in place, and you are the only person around sporting the holy symbol of a deity, 1+1=2. Not that it will for certain happen at all, just a thought. Eventually the BBEG will get tired of the fast healing PC group foiling his plans, and start to wonder how they are managing it.

We are deffinately on the same page, carry on with the character.

I do expect Griorge (might have butchered that), but I think he said something about being busy and having his character posted by tommorow.

Tam

heliopolix
June 16th, 2006, 01:13
What he meant by "interpreting 20 ft range = fixed" is this (I think): One of the prereqs for a spell to be Persisted is that it have a fixed or personal range.

As far as active people, I count wrose, larish, snowflake, and myself. grigore hasnt posted in a bit.

helio.

Llarish
June 16th, 2006, 01:24
Yep on the fixed range.

And to everyone, we are now able to log into the FG program on Tambryn's end.
Llarish

Tambryn
June 16th, 2006, 03:28
Our text connection tonight went awesome. The TS connection was great, and once we finished troubleshooting my FG server there were no more issues on my end. The game sunday night is looking great. For the other players interested in playing I will be online again tomorrow evening, though a little later. Everyone I have already spoken to is welcome to participate, but I am afraid that given the relative shortness of this particluar campaign arc, anyone missing our first game on sunday will have missed the boat so to speak, at least for this round. There will be others, of that you can be certain.

Thanks for your patience, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Tam

sam5634
June 16th, 2006, 04:03
Hi Tam,

My name is Sam and I'm a friend of larish and his wife. I believe I'll be joining you on Sunday if thats cool.

I plan on bringing a healing type cleric to the table.

Sam

Griogre
June 16th, 2006, 06:15
Tambryn I will be on tomorrow. Just turned in my Final, homework and extra credit. Whew, god I'm tired. I'll be on tomorrow. I need to fix my main computer in the morning - I lost a hard drive last week and didn't want to be bothered fixing it until I was finished with classes.

No big deal, but you might consider moving the game conversations to you campaign from here to the board on the game calender. That is a private board and people could talk IPs and e-mail addresses without anyone else seeing.

Tambryn
June 17th, 2006, 00:33
Glad to hear from you griogre. For the most part our discussion has moved to the Istivin: City of Shadows Game Calender page.

Just incase anyone checks this, the FG server is up and I will be online for a little while. The ip alias is listed above.

Tam