PDA

View Full Version : New Surface Go is fantastic with Fantasy Grounds

DM_Manu
August 16th, 2018, 14:13
If anyone is looking for a device that can run fantasy grounds that is extremely portable and responsive, the 399.99 model Surface Go is amazing. I got one specifically for fantasy grounds and have been pleasantly surprised with how it handles. You can even roll the die with a flick of the finger!

*EDIT* Some things are a little choppy, like the movement of tables around the screen. Also, things aren't exactly "immediate", meaning, some modules take 3 more seconds to load or there is a .5 - 1 second delay when dropping table information into a field.

DM_Manu

timdog88
August 16th, 2018, 15:08
First of all, welcome to the forums!

I have been eyeing a 2in 1 tablet device not mainly for running fantasy grounds, but to use as a fantasy grounds "reader" to just sit and read reference manuals of books since I buy most books in fg format these days. I was looking at cheaper ones, but I worried that they wouldn't run fg properly. How much RAM do you think a small computer/tablet would need if my main task was just reading and not nessecarily playing or running games?

LordEntrails
August 16th, 2018, 15:40
First of all, welcome to the forums!

I have been eyeing a 2in 1 tablet device not mainly for running fantasy grounds, but to use as a fantasy grounds "reader" to just sit and read reference manuals of books since I buy most books in fg format these days. I was looking at cheaper ones, but I worried that they wouldn't run fg properly. How much RAM do you think a small computer/tablet would need if my main task was just reading and not nessecarily playing or running games?
RAM is really not an issue anymore (given the min amount you get with most any device). Remember, FG is a 32 bit application, so it can't use more than ~3GB (and typically uses less than 2GB). Windows and other standard things (like A/V) typically use less than 1.5GB, so even something that only has 4GB will be fine running FG.

Furentz
August 16th, 2018, 15:46
Care to make a little video of it running FG ? :) Seeing how you use it might convince me to do the same.

DM_Manu
August 16th, 2018, 16:30
So, the $399.99 version is 4gb of ram, plenty to run FG. As for me making a video, not sure how well that would work out as I have never made a video before lol. I will say PC/NPC creation works great, but due to a smaller 10" screen, you don't want many tables open. I'm still testing out a few things, but from what I can tell, the screen size might inhibit dedicated DMing, but for being a player, so far so good. @Furentz, if there is anything you would like me to test specifically for you, I would be happy to and give my opinion.

DM_Manu
August 16th, 2018, 17:09
Using it as a reader is great actually. It is the size of an iPad, and I know most of the smaller 2in1 devices are still bigger than that. I'm confident in saying that using it as a "book" and so far, rolling characters, it ranks very high.

Nylanfs
August 16th, 2018, 18:05
That means it will also run PCGen as well since it requires full version of Java. Guess I know my next device is going to be. :)

timdog88
August 16th, 2018, 21:09
Some of the cheaper 2 in 1 devices I have looked at only have 2 gb of ram, would that be a problem? I wouldn't really be looking to use fg on it to play, just to open up the books and read them, as well as reading pdfs and such. The one thing I dislike about owning primarily fg books is that it's kind of a pain to sit down and boot up the laptop, I'd love to have a tablet that I could sit and read, take on the train, etc. but I'm not a techie so I don't know what it would need

LordEntrails
August 16th, 2018, 21:16
Some of the cheaper 2 in 1 devices I have looked at only have 2 gb of ram, would that be a problem? I wouldn't really be looking to use fg on it to play, just to open up the books and read them, as well as reading pdfs and such. The one thing I dislike about owning primarily fg books is that it's kind of a pain to sit down and boot up the laptop, I'd love to have a tablet that I could sit and read, take on the train, etc. but I'm not a techie so I don't know what it would need
2GB will mean that if you open lots of books you might go into SWAP. Which doesn't mean you crash, it just means things slow down as Windows will start to use the hard drive for temporary processing memory. And the hard drive (even and SSD) is much slower than actual RAM.

That being said, I suspect it might be things like a few extra seconds to open a new book or image, or a pause when changing story entries etc. Would have to test to really know.

Just make sure it runs full Windows, other wise would need further research.

Trenloe
August 16th, 2018, 21:49
2GB will mean that if you open lots of books you might go into SWAP.
You'll pretty much go into swap straight away. Windows will take most of the 2GB and use it for the O/S and shared graphics memory. Realistically, you're not going to be able to do much (if anything) with FG on a 2GB RAM device.

Ken L
August 16th, 2018, 22:38
Microsoft tablet.. *laughs in penguin*

damned
August 16th, 2018, 23:10
Do not get a 2GB model.
You will be forever disappointed.

LordEntrails
August 17th, 2018, 00:58
You'll pretty much go into swap straight away. Windows will take most of the 2GB and use it for the O/S and shared graphics memory. Realistically, you're not going to be able to do much (if anything) with FG on a 2GB RAM device.
Today is not my day. Ugh.

I just restarted, Win7 Pro with some standard applications including A/V but not too much (any?) bloat ware and I'm at 2.5 GB RAM used. So yea, 2GB is going to be rough.

DM_Manu
August 17th, 2018, 11:25
Microsoft tablet.. *laughs in penguin*

My window falls on your penguin while I eat an apple. Lol I personally love Ubuntu, but fail miserably to get anything to run using wine. I’m Just not that good anymore sadly.

Also yes, please don’t go with anything less than 4. Those devices are designed to store nothing and realisticly browse the web. The are also probably designed to remain in windows S mode. Meaning uses only the apps from windows App Store.

The High Druid
August 17th, 2018, 23:13
Throw in a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (or just a cable) and a Bluetooth mouse, and it's a very portable way to get FG running on the nearest TV set for local games.