PDA

View Full Version : Kobold press Midgard Heroes handbook 5e

icedern
August 15th, 2018, 17:43
Hello,
Any news or information if this is going to be released in the FG store? I see the older versions are on there, but was curious if the new book would be released.

Thanks!

Hazdorius
August 18th, 2018, 13:30
Waiting on this one too !

Last news I read from Kobold Press :

Absolutely! That should ship sometime in Summer 2018; exact release date up to Smiteworks, of course.

Nylanfs
August 20th, 2018, 13:16
Welcome to the forums and FG Community Hazdorius

icedern
August 20th, 2018, 20:35
I have a few months before I begin my new Midgard Campaign. I own the book and the pdf, but I'd rather not have to make my own mod for it :) Hopefully, it'll be completed by then!

Hazdorius
August 21st, 2018, 06:30
Hopefully... I'm in the same situation as you icedern !
I tried to contact SmiteWorks and Kobold Press but no answer so far... I guess we'll see ! ;)

@Nylanfs : Thank you !

Argonautking
October 14th, 2018, 13:39
I'd love to see Heroes Handbook on FG. Worldbook would be nice if it had a map with pins to different locations with a summary of that city/poi. I just don't want to code in all the damn spells manually haha

Jarvin
March 22nd, 2019, 16:13
Sorry for the necroing of this thread, but has there been any news on this appearing for FG?

iotech
March 22nd, 2019, 23:27
Sorry for the necroing of this thread, but has there been any news on this appearing for FG?

Uhm... you mean this:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=KPFG5EMGH

GavinRuneblade
March 23rd, 2019, 19:15
Uhm... you mean this:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=KPFG5EMGH

That is just the rules for races, like half of one chapter of the book they wanted. They were talking about the maps, the setting, and the spells, etc. The heroes handbook is specifically this:
https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/midgard-heroes-handbook-for-5th-edition-dnd-5e/

But some of what they talked about is also in this one:
https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/midgard-players-guide-for-pfrpg/

I would really love to see the full range of 5e Midgard material available too. But I know part of that decision is based on sales of the existing products making it worth their time.

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2019, 19:30
I would really love to see the full range of 5e Midgard material available too. But I know part of that decision is based on sales of the existing products making it worth their time.
Products like these are created by FG community developers, of which there aren’t enough to go around. If there’s a particular product line that people would really love to see in FG then maybe consider becoming a community developer! You’re never going to make a lot of money and it’s mostly a labour of love, but if you want to see more products like these then consider getting involved.

GavinRuneblade
March 23rd, 2019, 19:57
Products like these are created by FG community developers, of which there aren’t enough to go around. If there’s a particular product line that people would really love to see in FG then maybe consider becoming a community developer! You’re never going to make a lot of money and it’s mostly a labour of love, but if you want to see more products like these then consider getting involved.

I'm quite a failure as a developer. I tried to learn coding as a kid (code camp in two different summers), in high school, in college, and on my own. I still can't code a damn thing. Other than Japanese those are the only Fs I've ever gotten in school.

I can do simple data entry style stuff, like getting items, spells, tables, etc into modules. But the minute opening up files and changing stuff gets involved that's where my skills end. So no races, classes, etc. So my current project is turning this 300-page monstrosity (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/218782/The-Comprehensive-Equipment-Manual-Revised) of text into a FG module. I can do that.

It also doesn't help that 90% of the best instructions are in videos and I can't learn from them, I need documents to look at while I'm doing something. I tried to use that new video on making races for 5e because I have two campaigns using Ixalan vampires from Planeshift so it would be nice to not have to manually enter all that junk over and over. Nope. Fail. If there was a page on the wiki like the effects one, maybe. Video? Never in a million years. which makes me the opposite of like 99% of the population, lol.

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2019, 20:06
Most modules and products do not require any "developer" skills. As you put it, it's data entry through the existing FG GUI.

As for videos, I too find them a horrible media to learn from, so you are not alone :) But, they are "easier" to create than a written and illustrated document so it takes the author less time to do.

You can check out the link in my sig for module creation. It's not a how to guide, but rather a set of recommendations. Does not include any info on races or classes though.

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2019, 21:46
Yep, most FG modules can be created without any coding - it’s data entry, formatting, prettifying, etc. - hence why I made the suggestion for people who want to see things in FG to help out in that process!

Myrdin Potter
March 24th, 2019, 05:39
I am a community developer and I started converting the Midgard stuff over to FG for my own use. All you need to do is fill in the boxes inside FG. If you want a pretty reference manual, celestian’s author extension Des a decent job of it.

I became a developer by converting one module and now I do more when I have time. I am not a programmer and don’t really understand XML but I make do.