PDA

View Full Version : How does FG compare with Battlegrounds?

Myth
June 5th, 2006, 20:49
I'm looking at these two platforms to run my online games on. I downloaded FG's demo, and ran through it. I must say... wow. Absolutely incredible. I cannot imagine getting any closer to pen & paper gaming than this.

Battlegrounds looks comparable. I'd like to get input from users, as well as any developers who might want to try to sell me on the product. :) I'll be running a game with at least 5-6 Players, each of which will be buying the platform if they don't already have it, so that's a decent chunk of change for whichever platform I decide on.

So, if anyone wants to laud FG's pros, mention its cons, or share anything they know or have heard about Battlegrounds (https://www.battlegroundsgames.com/ , I hope it's not a faux pas to post a competitor's URL here... I'm not trying to hype them.) that would help me in making my decision.

I'm planning to playtest Battlegrounds' demo tonight, as well as run through FG's demo again.

Once again, the FG platform is truly impressive, and I can't laud enough praise on the developers. You guys are keeping my Geekery alive in the online age. Kudos to folks who make a living through Gaming. You're living my dream. :)

Myth

gurney9999
June 5th, 2006, 21:00
Both have their strengths, but for d20 based roleplaying I find FG more appealing.

If you want further discussion (where heruca can post without stepping on SW's toes here), you could post the question on Four Ugly Monster's forums. There are people there that have tried both.

rabbit
June 5th, 2006, 21:07
I own licenses to Klooge and FG, have used the BG demo quite a bit, and tried the various opensource options.

The thing BG has going for it:

-- Super simplicity in design
-- Cross platform (my biggest issue with FG, I'm missing players who have macs)
-- Really really cool lighting based fog of war
-- Potentially cool features I can't play with re: how multiplayers interact, adversary players, etc..

It's biggest cons (not flaming here, just my experience):
-- Unstable. It's a demo, yes, but I had huge connection and crash problems.
-- Cool FOW effects very spotty in terms of how players see them
-- Locked grid based movement (no free moving)
-- Essentially a mapping tool (yes, it can send other files around, but it's not designed from the ground up for it the way I feel FG is).

Not that you asked, but ading Klooge to the mix: Klooge does a TON of actual rules based mechanics for you: targetting, autocalculating hits and damage, ranging, etc. It's quite intense when you get under the hood. However I found the interface so horrible I couldn't even get my test player to use it after about half an hour. Plus, the preparation time to actually use all the features is very very intense. More than anything though, it doesn't "feel" right.

To my mind, this is the single best thing abotu FG. It feels like a role playing game should feel. I just ran it last night for a short game, and it's just perfect. Yes, there are a dozen things I wish it did differently/better, but at it's core, its perfect. Once you get past the demo and start getting under the hood its just insanely great.

Now about that next update...

EDIT: Obviously I have no qualms about toestepping.

Myth
June 5th, 2006, 22:36
Awesome, thanks a bunch Gurney!

Rabbit, thanks! Very cool. I haven't found/tested Klooge, but based on your descriptions that's probably okay.

I also really like FG's feel. If you're going to stare at a platform for 3-4 hours each week (plus at least that much for the DM in preparation) then you should like the look of it. I really like the look of FG.

Cross-platform isn't a concern. It'll be too bad if I miss out on a Mac user, but from what I hear, the internet is pretty darn big, so I'm sure that halving the size of my Player pool isn't gonna be a big issue.

Thanks to both of you guys for your informative input and your references to other resources!

Scott

heruca
June 6th, 2006, 01:04
I don't think this is a good place for this discussion. I'd be happy to answer any questions on my own forums, or at the FUM forums if they don't mind.

Cantstanzya
June 6th, 2006, 01:08
I have been using Fantasy Grounds for a year and a half and love it. It is now stable and very usable. It is as close as you can get to tabletop gaming that I have found. It adds new dimensions to the game with being able to whisper to a specific person without anyone else knowing it.
As far as Battlegrounds goes, I have been watching it since the first demo release in December. It is in its infancy stage, I don't think it has even gotten out of beta yet. It does look promising, but has a lot of catching up to do. It does have new features that FG doesn't have like the fog of war, but has nothing to compare to the dice in FG. Once BG is released I'll probably buy it to see what it has to offer. The reason behind this is because I, like yourself, am grateful to people/companies that have brought tabletop gaming to cyberspace and allow me and my friends to continue with our campaigns long after everyone has moved away. So why not throw $20.00 their way. In my opinion competition in software produces better software. If you are looking for which to buy now, definatly go FG. Later down the road you might want to try BG to see how they have progressed.

Myth
June 6th, 2006, 02:35
Heruca,

I'm certainly open to that. Got a URL?

Cantstanzyerself,

Very cool recommendation. That pretty much clinches it for me, but I want to hear everything I can before making a decision. (I hope it's okay to take liberties with your name. :) )

Myth

Cantstanzya
June 6th, 2006, 02:43
Cantstanzyerself,

(I hope it's okay to take liberties with your name. :) )

MythSerenity Nowww!!!! ;)

rom90125
June 6th, 2006, 03:15
I have been using Fantasy Grounds for a year and a half and love it. It is now stable and very usable. It is as close as you can get to tabletop gaming that I have found. It adds new dimensions to the game with being able to whisper to a specific person without anyone else knowing it.
As far as Battlegrounds goes, I have been watching it since the first demo release in December. It is in its infancy stage, I don't think it has even gotten out of beta yet. It does look promising, but has a lot of catching up to do. It does have new features that FG doesn't have like the fog of war, but has nothing to compare to the dice in FG. Once BG is released I'll probably buy it to see what it has to offer. The reason behind this is because I, like yourself, am grateful to people/companies that have brought tabletop gaming to cyberspace and allow me and my friends to continue with our campaigns long after everyone has moved away. So why not throw $20.00 their way. In my opinion competition in software produces better software. If you are looking for which to buy now, definatly go FG. Later down the road you might want to try BG to see how they have progressed.

I totally agree with your statements above...

heruca
June 6th, 2006, 03:19
Heruca,

I'm certainly open to that. Got a URL?

Myth beat me to it, but if anyone else is interested in the discussion, here's the URL:

https://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3527#3527

Myth
June 6th, 2006, 03:58
Myth beat me to it, but if anyone else is interested in the discussion, here's the URL:

https://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3527#3527

Thanks, Heruca! I very much appreciate your input. It's not often that the CEO of a company gives you a personal sell on his product. :) And it's even more rare that he is open & honest and not just trying to convince you to buy. Kudos to you.

Myth