PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Host/Connection Issues

Rumtintin
August 14th, 2018, 04:38
Hi all,

I'm suddenly unable to accept incoming connections, nor am I able to even connect a 2nd instance locally (localhost). This is the first time I've tried to host since 3.3.6, although I'm certainly not suggesting that's the cause. Details:

Windows 10
Xfinity Modem (in bridge mode), Asus GT-AC5300 router.
Static IP for the host PC which is connected to the Asus router via ethernet (no wifi in this mix).
1802 is forwarded (TCP, although I tried with 'both' - TCP/UDP - also) to the static IP of the host PC.
Port 1802 checks out fine on www.canyouseeme.org.
No Malwarebytes (and no other 3rd party AVS), and there are rules for both the port and the exe in Windows firewall. (Those have been there and are unchanged, but I confirmed their existence.)
I have a standard license, as do my players.
I've accepted incoming connections (and local connections via a 2nd instance) for months.
I'm only using the 32-bit executable.

I've tried a new campaign as well as an existing one. I deleted and re-downloaded fantasygrounds.exe via fgupdaterengine.exe. When I try the Connection Test, it hangs at "IN PROGRESS". When I try to connect locally, the 2nd instance just hangs while trying to connect. Same experience for external users.

The console log shows the correct alias translation to my external IP:1802 (which tests successfully on canyouseeme.org).

I attached a tracert for reference.

I'm stumped, so I thought I'd cast a wider net with the smart folks here. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

Rumtintin
August 14th, 2018, 04:47
Interestingly, when I perform a connection test, and it hangs with "IN PROGRESS," the console.log shows the following:

[14.08.2018 03:43:35] Runtime Notice: Connection test request result = Success

However, if I do go ahead and load the campaign, both local and remote connections still hang.

LordEntrails
August 14th, 2018, 04:59
If you can't even connect with localhost (and if you've done so before so we know you are doing it correctly), then it has to be something on your computer.
- double check your Windows firewall. If it has a rule for FG, delete it, reboot, recreate the rule
- double check your A/V. If it has a rule for FG, delete it, reboot, recreate the rule
- make sure all your network connections are set to "private" (though I think it has to be one of the first two).

Rumtintin
August 14th, 2018, 05:02
Ok - thank you. Out of the 3, the only thing I can do is delete/re-create the Windows firewall rules and reboot (which I'll do now). No third party AV and the network connection is definitely private. I'll post again once I do this.

Thanks again

Xemit
August 14th, 2018, 05:03
Try to delete and then make new the firewall rules. Sometimes they will fail if the related binary changes after the rule is created and will require the rule being refreshed.

Rumtintin
August 14th, 2018, 05:10
Bingo! Thank you both. Deleting and re-creating the rules worked like a charm. Appreciate it.