PDA

View Full Version : Critical hit and confirm

KillerRabbit
August 12th, 2018, 15:29
Hello, maybe i do something wrong, but when i roll a natural 20 i would normally need to confirm the critical.
In fantasy grounds it's says i scored a critical with the natural 20 alone.
So when i roll again to confirm the critical, it's just seeing this as a new attack roll, and if i then apply damage, it doesn't apply the critical hit damage.

What am i doing wrong here?

damned
August 12th, 2018, 15:39
"When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20), you hit regardless of your target's AC. If the total result of your attack roll meets or exceeds the target's EAC or KAC (as appropriate for your attack), you've also scored a critical hit...... If the total result of your attack is less than your target's relevant AC, your attack still hits on a natural 20, but it deals damage normally."

a 20 is a critical hit if it would also have been a hit.

KillerRabbit
August 12th, 2018, 15:50
Oh ok, that changed from pathfinder :)

Samarex
August 13th, 2018, 01:20
Hello, maybe i do something wrong, but when i roll a natural 20 i would normally need to confirm the critical.
In fantasy grounds it's says i scored a critical with the natural 20 alone.
So when i roll again to confirm the critical, it's just seeing this as a new attack roll, and if i then apply damage, it doesn't apply the critical hit damage.

What am i doing wrong here?

"When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20), you hit regardless of your target's AC. If the total result of your attack roll meets or exceeds the target's EAC or KAC (as appropriate for your attack), you've also scored a critical hit...... If the total result of your attack is less than your target's relevant AC, your attack still hits on a natural 20, but it deals damage normally."

a 20 is a critical hit if it would also have been a hit.

Damned has it correct.
The rule set is designed so if you roll a natural 20 it will look at the total roll vs the Targets Def value (EAC KAC ) and determine if it is a Critical Hit or a Automatic Hit.
So if the total is less than the relevant AC it will report a Automatic hit and roll Normal Damage other wise it will report a Critical hit and Damage will be Critical damage.

In your report because you rolled again to try and confirm, your critical hit was erased since the system seen it as a new attack.

KillerRabbit
August 13th, 2018, 12:36
Thanks. I was confused because of many years playng pathfinder