PDA

View Full Version : Forcing Results

Arcanun
August 8th, 2018, 14:18
Ok so, is there a way to force FG to roll a natural 20 on an attack skill check or something, as a GM, without showing in the text that its a manual roll?

Andraax
August 8th, 2018, 14:31
When I use manual rolls as GM, it doesn't display that it was manual.

damned
August 8th, 2018, 14:31
Try this - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43751-CoreRPG-based-On-Demand-Manual-Dice-(DM-only)
You will need to do some experimenting with a localhost connection to see what the various options look like for your players.

damned
August 8th, 2018, 14:32
When I use manual rolls as GM, it doesn't display that it was manual.

I think that is new for 3.3.6

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2018, 17:36
This is built into the CoreRPG framework that most rulesets are built on.

1. Turn on Dice: Manual entry in Options
2. Make a roll.
3. A window pops up with a new manual roll entry describing the roll and providing four buttons.
4. Use the button that performs the roll the way you want.

The four buttons work as follows:
X = Cancel Roll
Die = Make roll normally using virtual dice
F = (GM only) Appear to make roll normally using virtual dice, but replace die result when reported to chat window (shows shadow dice on client)
Check = Specify die result manually, and report to chat window (without using virtual dice)

None of the options report manual from the GM side. There is no way to disable MANUAL tag on the player side.

Regards,
JPG

Arcanun
August 8th, 2018, 20:04
This is built into the CoreRPG framework that most rulesets are built on.

1. Turn on Dice: Manual entry in Options
2. Make a roll.
3. A window pops up with a new manual roll entry describing the roll and providing four buttons.
4. Use the button that performs the roll the way you want.

The four buttons work as follows:
X = Cancel Roll
Die = Make roll normally using virtual dice
F = (GM only) Appear to make roll normally using virtual dice, but replace die result when reported to chat window (shows shadow dice on client)
Check = Specify die result manually, and report to chat window (without using virtual dice)

None of the options report manual from the GM side. There is no way to disable MANUAL tag on the player side.

Regards,
JPG

That was very clarifying but one thing i couldnt get... is:

Is there a way to manual roll and mimic completely a nomal roll for the players? like the dice rolling in the chat box and displaying the result i choose and the chat entry the same?

Edit1: Also, after i enable manual entry will the "manual dice entry" box pops for players too?

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2018, 20:45
No to both question.

Andraax
August 8th, 2018, 21:35
Is there a way to manual roll and mimic completely a nomal roll for the players? like the dice rolling in the chat box and displaying the result i choose and the chat entry the same?

From Moon's post:

Gm's dice always show up as shadow dice on the clients.

Arcanun
August 9th, 2018, 12:12
From Moon's post:

Gm's dice always show up as shadow dice on the clients.

It only appears as a shadow dice if you play on the tower if i recall... if you use on the chat, it displays the normal dice

Andraax
August 9th, 2018, 12:35
It only appears as a shadow dice if you play on the tower if i recall... if you use on the chat, it displays the normal dice

I suggest that you connect to your own table as a player and try it. Whereupon you will see that the GM's dice *always* show as shadow dice for the players.

Niles
August 9th, 2018, 15:17
That was very clarifying but one thing i couldnt get... is:

Edit1: Also, after i enable manual entry will the "manual dice entry" box pops for players too?

Yes, there is a way. I have an extension to make the dice roll what you want the players to roll. But it can't make the 3D dice come up on the number you want, just the text roll, so the players may see a different number on the 3D dice than the text number. That's the only thing the extension won't do. I use this feature when I need to control the outcomes to my story line. Let me know if you'd like the extension.

Andraax
August 9th, 2018, 15:22
You mean forcing a roll onto the player's roll?

Niles
August 9th, 2018, 15:56
You mean forcing a roll onto the player's roll?

Yes. Someone made an extension for me that will do that. It doesn't make the 3D dice roll come up the number, just the text roll, so there is that inconsistency. So here is the fine print for why I use this extension. It's not to control every single dice roll the players make. It's not to punish them with crit misses when I think they're making bad decisions. If anything, I'm on their side and even play an NPC within the group and want to see them succeed. It's just that I like cinematic story lines, and sometimes the outcome of the dice can make or break the story. My players even know I use it at times and trust me with it. When I have a part of the story where I absolutely need to control the outcome, I will have them black out the text number on the 3D dice and then they can't compare the 3D dice roll with the text. When the part of the story is finished, I go back to letting their dice rolls be their dice rolls.

Andraax
August 9th, 2018, 18:04
What an overly complex way of doing it. I either have them roll in the tower, ignore the result, and tell them what I want, or roll myself, ignore the result and tell them what I want. Your way is too hard.

Niles
August 9th, 2018, 19:30
What an overly complex way of doing it. I either have them roll in the tower, ignore the result, and tell them what I want, or roll myself, ignore the result and tell them what I want. Your way is too hard.

Your way works too, Andraax. I like my way because even though they don't know when I fudge the dice, at least it gives them a sense that they may have rolled the number they see. Either way, if they roll in the tower and I fudge the result, they may know I told them a fudged result vocally. Two different ways of accomplishing the same thing.