PDA

View Full Version : Two or more campaigns at the same time

DoctorC
August 7th, 2018, 14:19
Hi

I am presently running a campaign I have created for one group. However, I would like thoughts on ...

1. Could I start a second campaign with a different group. So both campaigns would e running (obviously not at the exact same time). If so, can I keep each one with its own (i.e., different) alias for players to jump in?

2. I would also like to get more experience of FG and would like to play. Presumably, I could jump into a game with the Join Campaign button and this would have no effect on the campaigns I might be running - or the alias' that might be being used??

Thanks

John

damned
August 7th, 2018, 14:41
Hey DoctorC

You can have as many campaigns going at the same time as you like.
If you are (example) running two groups through LMoP create two campaigns - Wed LMoP and Sat LMoP (or whatever makes sense to you) and run the right one on the right night.
If you are running (the same) home brew material for both groups consider starting a 3rd campaign called Prep My World and prep all your material in there, export it after updating and open that in each of the Live Campaigns.

And yes of course - GMs should always get a chance to be players too - you can of course also join games too.

DoctorC
August 7th, 2018, 14:49
Thanks Damned - sorry if the question sounds nieve. And does each of the groups have their own, fixed alias?

Also is there a problem if I have a campaign and later decide to change its name?

Trenloe
August 7th, 2018, 14:52
1. Could I start a second campaign with a different group. So both campaigns would e running (obviously not at the exact same time). If so, can I keep each one with its own (i.e., different) alias for players to jump in?
The alias is for your GM computer itself, not set per campaign. Don't change the alias (unless you really want to change the base alias) otherwise it will be virtually impossible (without messing around in the Windows registry) to get it back to what you had before.

If you want to prevent players from one campaign accidentally connecting to the wrong campaign, set a different player password on the Load Campaign screen for each campaign.

DoctorC
Final short question on a slight tangent - I have created my own monster, but I used a Mud Mephit as the original creature to base it on. I copied it and then selected the copy, unlocked it and changed all the details - that all works fine. But I can not change its token?? I have a token created (as a png) and also a image as a jpg, but I can't change the token associated with it??

Trenloe
Also is there a problem if I have a campaign and later decide to change its name?
Nope, you just need to change the directory name in <FG app data>\campaigns

DoctorC
August 7th, 2018, 14:53
Got it - and now you say it, I feel stupid for asking.
Thanks

Trenloe
August 7th, 2018, 14:53
But I can not change its token?? I have a token created (as a png) and also a image as a jpg, but I can't change the token associated with it??
Unlock the NPC and drag a token from the token bag to the token placeholder in the top right of the NPC record.

damned
August 7th, 2018, 14:54
Have you tried dragging a new token in over the top while it is unlocked?

DoctorC
August 7th, 2018, 14:54
Yes - does the token have to be coming from a specific directory / folder?

damned
August 7th, 2018, 14:56

As Trenloe says - drag them from the token bags.
You can click the Folder icon in that window to see where to add your own tokens too.

Trenloe
Don't drag from outside of Fantasy Grounds - it needs to come from your tokens bag within FG.

See here (especially "Loading Locations") for more info: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens

DoctorC
right - trying now.

DoctorC
August 7th, 2018, 14:59
Works - thanks again.

MyGivinOpinion
August 7th, 2018, 19:54
I am currently developing a multi group story with another DM, if you want to join our project let me know. We plan to host multiple parties with multiple gm's to try and eliminate meta-gaming between groups.

DoctorC
August 8th, 2018, 09:11
Hi
I suspect my only issue would be time i.e., not having enough. I work at a school so in breaks I am fine, but for most of the time, my ability to use FG would probably be limited to once per week - and I already have one group and am being chased to run another.
i am interested in your idea though. the meta-gaming is annoying because it breaks away from the roleplaying, but in reality, it will always happen, even if it is inside their heads.
The idea of everyone being in the same world at about the same time is also something I have tired in the past - it is ok, but time constraints seem to become important i.e., when groups finish their sections if you wish them to 'marry' their mini-adventures together.
Recently I tried with another DM, to present a number of problems (in the adventure) to a group of 10 - they would split themselves up into two groups as they saw fit - and take on the problems. It worked OK but again, the different paces of the two groups did present problems - not insurmountable, but slightly irritating.
So I think I will not have time when I consider the fact that once school starts, I will be running 4-5 groups per week. But I am genuinely grateful for the offer. This forum does provide rapid responses.