PDA

View Full Version : Keying dialogue to personalities

John_Geeshu
June 3rd, 2006, 19:57
I've been trying to figure out how to key boxed dialogue to specific personalities. I know I'm missing something very simple. Anyone want to help me out? :)

joeru
June 3rd, 2006, 20:21
When entering text into the chat frame, press tab, then enter the name of the speaker. The other way to do it is right click on the chat frame to bring up the radial menu, choose paragraph type, then choose assign speaker, then move the cursor to the beginning of the chat frame and enter it. Pressing tab is a lot easier, as you might have guessed.

John_Geeshu
June 3rd, 2006, 20:22
That's great. Cheers.

funnymanmike
September 21st, 2006, 04:25
i gotta say, i can't get this to work no matter how hard i try

way's ive done it

type in the text i want to be said, highlight it, make it a chat frame
while highlight, right click, click assign speaker
go into the text, hit home then left arrow, then type the name
then i exit edit mode, drag the text and it still says DM:

also, ive tried using tab, no go.

i don't understand why i can't get this to work but everyone else can.

Ged
September 21st, 2006, 06:11
type in the text i want to be said, highlight it, make it a chat frame
while highlight, right click, click assign speaker
go into the text, hit home then left arrow, then type the name
then i exit edit mode, drag the text and it still says DM:
It seems that if you type in text, highlight it, make it a chat frame and while highlight right click to assign speaker, the cursor does not go to the place where you write the name of the speaker (you can still navigate there with arrow keys).

However, you do not have to hilight the text block at all to make format it as a chat frame, and you do not have to hilight it to assign a speaker. Anyway, at least the following work flow works:

write some text
select the radial option to format as a chat frame from the particular paragraph
move the cursor to that paragraph and either press tab or select assign speaker without hilighting anything.
(Pressing tab rewinds the cursor in front of the paragraph where you type in the speaker's name. By selecting the radial option you may need to navigate there by arrow keys.)

kalmarjan
September 22nd, 2006, 14:15
I think that this feature was not designed to replace the speaker in question. I think it is more for the DM using it to know who is saying what. If you look in the Tale of Dinor adventure, you will see how they use this feature. If you drag it with the correct name highlighted, then that speaker will say the dialogue.

I guess this is to help the DM know who is saying what in large blocks of text.

If you just drag it to any old identity, (Like the DM's,) then it will show as that identity speaking.

Does that help any?

Sandeman

Griogre
September 22nd, 2006, 19:18
I always thought the best use for this feature was having two NPCs talk to each other. You could just drag the Bartenders conversation and then the "shady character" response then back to the barkeep and so on.

Toadwart
September 23rd, 2006, 03:24
Yes, not immediately obvious but: dragging a labelled chatbox directly into the chatwindow (not onto the chat entry line) will display the text as if it had been spoken by the assigned speaker (regardless of the currently selected /id)
Good for pre-prepared speeches or conversations between NPCs