PDA

View Full Version : Critical Role Call - LFPs who are new to D&D 5E and want to get started [5E][Paidish]

TheMeta88
August 6th, 2018, 02:05
Hello everyone and welcome to this thread! All are certainly welcome, but there is a particular group of people who might be most interested in what I have to offer.

If you are a fan of Critical Role and have been inspired by those wonderful people, then we have something in common! Perhaps you were already drawn to creative fields like theater, writing, or voice acting. Perhaps you had heard of D&D but weren't quite sure what it is all about and what it could be. But Critical Role, or shows like it, have opened your eyes to a wonderful world of creativity and communal story-telling. You now find yourself curious about the world of D&D and all the possibilities that await.

I too sat on the fringes for a while. I was first exposed to D&D fully by watching the Heroes and Halfwits series by Achievement Hunter. From there, I eventually heard about Critical Role. I quickly became enthralled by what I saw. The fun, the voice acting, the great story-telling and role-playing by everyone, and at the center of it all, Matthew Mercer tying all these threads together and pushing forward a narrative that kept players and audiences engrossed for years. I'm no Matthew Mercer, but he is my North Star. Now I'm constantly creating characters and backstories. I'm constantly thinking of encounters that could be interesting for players. And I'm fascinated with the Gordian Knot that is creating an evocative story that the player's are motivated to partake in.

I need to create. Perhaps you're the same way. If so, I'd like to build a community together. A group of creators who can come together and tell a story through D&D.

Here's the nitty gritty, I want to be a DM for a group of creative people, But I need your help to do it. My financial situation is "looking rough" as Mr. Mercer might say, but I'll manage. All I ask from the group are purchases that benefit the group. Things that help me get started as a DM.

I have the PHB, DMG, Monster Manual, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Xanathar's, Volo's, and Mordenkainen's on DnDBeyond. We can use that for character creation and campaign management since I can share my content to you when I host the campaign. We'd still need a table-top, for which I'd like to use Fantasy Grounds. However, I own none of these on Fantasy Grounds. To get the most out of Fantasy Ground's features, I want for you to be able to effortlessly drag and drop what you want from the books into your sheets so that everything can be automated and we can focus on the fun part. To that end, I'd need to be able to purchase, again, the core rule books on Fantasy Grounds.

Also, I have a decent microphone right now, but it's prone to cutting out mid sentence which tends to knacker dramatic tension and my efforts to describe the situation to you and your characters. I'd like to get at least a Snowball iCE so that I can be heard clearly and consistently.

Finally, to get us started, I'd like to purchase a physical copy of the D&D Starter set, as well as the Lost Mines of Phandelver module on FG to run as our first adventure.

Depending on how everything goes, and if you all enjoy it, I'm interested in the future in running Storm King's and or Curse of Strahd as well as Waterdeep when it releases.

As for my DMing chops, I've been playing since February and have DMed on three occasions as well as co-DMed. My player's have seemed to enjoy it and I've been called a great DM by...three separate people now I believe. They say they loved my dedication to the worlds and experiences I created and that they enjoyed my narration.

From you I would also ask,

Timezone: Post in UTC. I am EDT [-4], and would prefer to have no greater than a 3 hour time difference.
Microphone Required
Discord

I want to present a canvas for you to tell your stories and the stories of your characters. You are the stars, but I will also tease out your motivations, ideals, and flaws. I want this to be a dramatic journey for all involved.

Thanks for reading!

P0H0
August 6th, 2018, 03:03
I would enjoy joining the group. I am a fan of critical role, and an also in the eastern time zone. What days and times are you considering? Evenings and weekends typically work best for me.

Have you made a group on the calendar?

Buyaka
August 6th, 2018, 09:29
Hello,

it sounds interessting, always nice seeing new DMs, even if I m not a fan of CR to say it nicely, but they get a lot of people into the hobby, I guess thats a positive.

To my person, i play D&D for over 20 years, startet with 3rd edition, skipped 4th and now I DM 2 IRL groups D&D5e, but cant find an opportunity to actually play.

Not a big fan of DNDBeyond either, but as i have all content released for d&d i would be happy to help out with screenshots or something if you need a specific rule or spell or something i m also ok with chipping in on Mines of Phandelver or other content on FG.

My Timezone is UTC +2 (CEST)

Crusixblade
August 6th, 2018, 11:33
I'm 25, and am interested in joining the game. I'm in United State Central time and am around pretty much any time except monday. As for the books you need, I can chip in 10 or so dollars hopefully.