PDA

View Full Version : Extensions not showing up

BlindTigress
August 4th, 2018, 23:58
Hey, everyone! I'm working with a bit of an issue that doesn't seem to have a corollary in the forums. I've read and watched everything I can get my hands on to figure out how to install and use extensions, and my fantasy grounds installation appears to be different than nearly everyone else's. It could have to do with the fact that I installed FG a long time ago and never actually used it until recently. I'm running v.3.3.6.ULTIMATE now, but as I said, the install is very strange. Instead of having the extensions folder in my appdata directory, I have everything in C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II\

I have duplicated extensions folders as well, one located in C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II\extensions\ and one located in C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II\data\extensions\

Looking in the extensions folder located within the data folder, I can see the extensions for the simple grey, wood, dungeon and simple brown themes, as well as the fate blank skills extensions, and these extensions load and appear just fine within the program. I'm trying to install the DOEBase.ext extension and the DOESound.ext extensions so that I can link up Syrinscape with Fantasy grounds, and no matter what I try, installing them in one extensions folder, the other extensions folder, or both extensions folders, they don't show up. I've also tried installing the DOE_REMU extension (with both .mod and .ext files), and that one doesn't show up either (and yes, I installed the helper files and followed the instructions in the extension post to the letter).

I don't really want to reinstall the software, given that it's been long enough since I purchased my license key that I don't even remember which email I used to purchase it, and I can't for the life of me remember where the heck I stored it. Any insights? Maybe I'm just doing something completely wrong?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
August 5th, 2018, 00:07
Hi BlindTigress welcome to FG.

Check that the pointer to your data folder is correct in Settings. The default location should be %AppDarpta%/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds. If you installed somewhere else then make sure the settings is pointing to the folder you installed your data to. Fantasy Grounds 2 was deprecated some time ago. There’s nothing in that folder as far as I can remember (not even sure why it exists).

BlindTigress
August 5th, 2018, 00:16
Hi, Zacchaeus -

In the settings, the App directory is set to:
C:/Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/

The Data directory is set to:
C:/Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/data/

dberkompas
August 5th, 2018, 00:24
FG II? Damn that's old.

Dave

BlindTigress
August 5th, 2018, 00:37
To be clear, I am NOT actually running FG II. I'm running v.3.3.6, according to the splash screen.

I found my license key, after digging through my old external drives, and I've tried running the uninstall program, then reinstalling, and then changing the data directory to the \apdata\roaming\Fantasy Grounds folder, then reinstalling the mods and extensions in the folders under that directory, but still no dice (or rather, no extensions available to be activated in the splash screen.)

It looks, though, like the uninstaller was not actually that thorough because when I reinstalled it, the installer (downloaded fresh from the FG website five minutes ago) wanted to reinstall to c:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II\ and my license key was already in the settings box, so there may be something up with the registry keys. Anyone know any way to totally nuke FG off of Windows?

Alternatively, will extensions and mods work the same way with Mac OS?

BlindTigress
August 5th, 2018, 00:49
Further information: Installed DOESound.ext, DOEBase.ext and the associated DOESound mod file into the appropriate directories on my Mac OS install, and I'm having the same issue. Different computer (Macbook pro), fresh install completely, and still no extensions showing up. Could it be that a FG update make those extensions not available until they're updated by their creator?

dberkompas
August 5th, 2018, 00:54
Before any extensions show up, you do have a game system selected, right?

Dave

BlindTigress
August 5th, 2018, 00:58
I select a game (5e), and I see the Simple Brown, Simple Grey, and 5e Theme-Wizards themes as well as the 5e - language pack (FR) and 5e - Language Pack - Wizards extensions.

I downloaded and installed the CoreRPG - Death Indicator extension and it shows up just fine, so now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the DOE extensions.

BlindTigress
August 5th, 2018, 01:02
Ahh, never mind. After digging through a bunch of posts, DOE extensions no longer work with the current version of FG. It's all transitioned to DOR core ruleset instead. Mystery solved.

Zacchaeus
August 5th, 2018, 01:05
Extensions are wholly separate from the main program. They are simply dropped into the extensions folder and provided they are compatible with the ruleset you choose they will sow up on the list when you create a new campaign or start an existing one. Hence my thinking that your settings was not pointing at the correct directory. If the extensions are there then FG will see them. So i’m not sure exactly what to suggest. Perhaps you could add a few screenshots to your next post that might help resolve the issue.

damned
August 5th, 2018, 01:49
Hi BlindTigress a quick recap - the best way to find your Data folder is from Settings or from the Explorer Icon on the FG splash screen. It is likely using the old path because it has reused your existing install settings. DOEs extensions are supported in the main Commercial Rulesets but are no longer supported in community rulesets unless they are based off DORCore. Gwydion has posted some other methods of doing sounds without the DOEs - these are not as well developed but may be worth looking at.

BlindTigress
August 5th, 2018, 17:26
Hi, damned -

It must be my system, then, or something that's not compatible with DOE extensions, because I randomly picked 15 other extensions to install, and all 15 worked. None of the DOE's worked in ANY of the standard rulesets provided by an FG clean install, however, DOR Core ruleset worked just fine. To me, that says that there's something common within the DOE's that I'm either completely overlooking when reading the documentation, or that makes them incompatible with something in the default rulesets. I'm not ruling out PEBCAK errors, of course, but when everything else works just fine...

At any rate, going to go a different route, since this has already given me more aggravation than I care to think about. Thanks for everyone's assistance, I greatly appreciate your time and effort.

Trenloe
August 5th, 2018, 17:58
How are you downloading the DOE?

From the website, don't use "save as" or similar on the extension link in the FG-REM-Repo website - this downloads a .EXT file that isn't valid for FG. Click the extension name link for the file and then click the "Download" button that is on the page that opens after clicking the extension name link.

dulux-oz
August 6th, 2018, 04:11
Sorry I'm late to this Thread. :)

For the record - the DOE's *are* compatible with FGv3.3.6 and will continue to be supported for use with the main "commercial" Rulesets (provided I can get a copy for testing purposes - this note is for Ruleset Devs :) ).

@BlindTigress: if you are having issues with downloading the DOEs then drop me a PM and I'll see about getting you a copy directly - it is very strange that the DOEs are the only ones that you are having trouble with, so (logically) it may have something to do with getting them from Github - I might have to re-think things around that.

Anyway, please get in touch and let me know how things go, OK?

Cheers