PDA

View Full Version : Image Links Changing to Another Image Object

LordEntrails
August 4th, 2018, 04:26
I've noticed about a dozen of my links within stories to images have seemingly changed to other image links. This is a long running development campaign with hundreds of images, stories, etc. and I'm concerned that something may be causing these links to be changed.

I am not changing image names in the campaign/images folder.
I have deleted many images from the campaign/images folder.
I have and continue to add images to the campaign/images folder using the folder link from the images/map list.
5E ruleset.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Zacchaeus
August 4th, 2018, 11:12
I haven't come across this. Not sure why that would be unless images already linked were deleted or there is confusion over the name.

damned
August 5th, 2018, 04:44
Could this have been cuased by Moon Wizards maintenance process?
You might compare a pre 3.3.6 maintenance db backup with a post maintenance one?

LordEntrails
August 5th, 2018, 04:49
I think what's happened is that links to images that have been deleted end up pointing to a new image. Not sure, but I just found three links that I know I deleted the images and they were pointing all to a new image.

So, I think this is my doing, deleting images and not deleting the links. Will see if I can figure it out.

damned
August 5th, 2018, 05:00
I think there is a DEV extension that can check for broken links... something James posted some time back...

LordEntrails
August 5th, 2018, 06:24
I think there is a DEV extension that can check for broken links... something James posted some time back...
Any idea how to find it? No idea what to search on...

Nickademus
August 5th, 2018, 12:14
Remember, links don't point to images; they point to id numbers (i.e. 'id-00023'). If you click a link, it will point to the asset at the location of the recordname variable. So if it is 'images.id-00023', then it will pull up whatever image is at that location in the database. When you add an image to the folder and FG regains Window focus, it creates an entry in the database at the smallest id number not being used to store the file information. So if you delete images, then add images, yes, old links will point to new images.

I don't understand why you would be using links to images you deleted?

LordEntrails
August 5th, 2018, 22:42
Remember, links don't point to images; they point to id numbers (i.e. 'id-00023'). If you click a link, it will point to the asset at the location of the recordname variable. So if it is 'images.id-00023', then it will pull up whatever image is at that location in the database. When you add an image to the folder and FG regains Window focus, it creates an entry in the database at the smallest id number not being used to store the file information. So if you delete images, then add images, yes, old links will point to new images.

I don't understand why you would be using links to images you deleted?
Yea, this is what I figured out last night.

I had originally created the links to maps that I did not own the IP to (it was for a home game). Now that I'm turning this into a product, I have had to create all my own maps. So, I should have replaced the images, but instead I just deleted all the old images and then have been adding new ones as I create them.

So, as you noted, the link used the re-used id #. Issue solved :) I figured it was something I had done, but until I understood better, wasn't sure what. Now I know.