PDA

View Full Version : Can I zoom into maps?

John_Geeshu
June 1st, 2006, 14:24
I browsed the "A tale of Dinor" sample module thoroughly when I first bought the program. And I noticed that I could zoom into and out of the map of the old mines. Currently I am using Fractal Mapper 7.1 to create all of my maps, and it does an admirable job, but, I was wondering if it was possible to perform the same zoom in/zoom out function with maps I import export into FG? I use jpegs so I wonder if that makes a difference.

DarkStar
June 1st, 2006, 14:36
You can zoom in / out on any map. Maps are really normal images, there is no difference between a map and a NPC portrait, for example - I bet you could put tokens on Baron Wildhurst's face and play a battle on his nose. Just use your mouse scroll.

And there is no really any "import" of maps for Fantasy Grounds. All you do is put your maps and other pictures in images folder in your campaign. On contrary to XML - you actually can place new images in that folder while running the program and they will be instantly visible inside FG, without the need to restart the application. The same is planned for XML in 1.06, as far as I know.

John_Geeshu
June 1st, 2006, 14:59
Okay so I use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out? Do I click it or just roll? I'll have to try it out this evening. Exciting stuff!

Griogre
June 1st, 2006, 18:26
You use the mouse button to zoom in and out. Only the DM can do this and the player's view is *not* updated until you re-send the map - giving you control on what the players see.

Note: You can not zoom out farther than the map images original dimensions - so from the prespective of the map image there is only unlimited zoom in and return to image size. This has implecations to the size of your tokens and size and scale of maps and the amount of data you need to transmit to your players.