PDA

View Full Version : Dying vs. Stable

Samarex
August 1st, 2018, 02:08
Good morning All,
I'm working on some code here but got a rules clarification I need answered.
Here is the situation-

a PC had a Critical Hit with a Flame Rifle. The damage brought him to 0 HP which means he is now Dying and Unconscious. He also now has the Burning 1d6 (effect).

If the PC uses his Resolve to "Stabilize" he will have Stable/Unconscious/Burning 1d6. (Nobody has put out the fire he is still burning)

The question is and I don't see anything in the rules to answer it.

At the Start of his next turn if nobody has put out the burning effect and he takes damage again, does this negate the stable and make him dying again?

Samarex
August 1st, 2018, 02:27
Good morning All,
I'm working on some code here but got a rules clarification I need answered.
Here is the situation-

a PC had a Critical Hit with a Flame Rifle. The damage brought him to 0 HP which means he is now Dying and Unconscious. He also now has the Burning 1d6 (effect).

If the PC uses his Resolve to "Stabilize" he will have Stable/Unconscious/Burning 1d6. (Nobody has put out the fire he is still burning)

The question is and I don't see anything in the rules to answer it.

At the Start of his next turn if nobody has put out the burning effect and he takes damage again, does this negate the stable and make him dying again?

Found it
TAKING DAMAGE WHILE DYING OR STABLE
While you are dying, if you have any Stamina Points, any damage
you take still reduces those first. The first time each round you
take Hit Point damage (whether from an attack or from continuous
damage, such as from a bleed effect), you lose 1 Resolve Point. At
any point after that in the round, if a single source (such as one
attack) deals Hit Point damage greater than half your maximum
Hit Points but less than your maximum Hit Points, you lose 1
additional RP. As mentioned earlier, if you would lose Resolve
Points but have no Resolve Points remaining, you die instantly.
If you take damage equal to or greater than your maximum Hit
Points from a single attack, you also die instantly.
If you take damage while unconscious but stable, you are once
again dying and no longer stable.

Ok got to get that coded in...I have it removing Resolve while your dying but I need to code in the Extra Resolve if you are also taking ongoing or a single attack damage while your dying.

So to make sure I understand it...

The PC is Dying/Unconscious and Burning.
START of the Round.

NPC Does general AOE damage and the PC is in the AOE --
PC Loses 1 RP (First Time Damage is done this round)

PC's Turn- The Burning Damage is rolled if it equals 1/2 Max HP and Less than Max HP
PC Loses 1 RP
End of PC Turn - PC is Dying
PC Loses 1 RP

Any other Damage to the PC - Damage is equal 1/2 Max HP and Less than Max HP
PC Loses 1 RP

END of Round

Note- A PC can Use RP to Stabilize but if any Damage is done it Negates the Stable and he is Dying again.

So if he Uses RP to Stabilize and takes no other damage and has not cleared the effect yet before the start of his next turn
He takes the Effect damage and once again is Dying but does not lose the RP at the end of that turn since the dying effect was applied during his turn.

Blacklamb
August 1st, 2018, 18:41
The question is do you still get the reflex save if you are stable to have the fire go out, or does a party member need to do it. It would be nice to have the post turn saving throws (10+fire damage done that round, +2 bonus for each consecutive failed saves) done automatically too as my players always forget... and so do I.

Samarex
August 1st, 2018, 23:00
The question is do you still get the reflex save if you are stable to have the fire go out, or does a party member need to do it. It would be nice to have the post turn saving throws (10+fire damage done that round, +2 bonus for each consecutive failed saves) done automatically too as my players always forget... and so do I.

I will have to look more into the burning effect to see about the save. But the above was moere centered around taking care of Resolve loss if you are dying.
I got alll the above resolve loss coded in I just need to now get it to destablize you if you take damage when your stable.

Samarex
August 1st, 2018, 23:05
As for the saving throw I think thats still going to be manual as I dont now if we can get a effect to calulate a DC every turn.