PDA

View Full Version : Unable to launch the 64bit executable after 3.3.6 update

Valyar
July 31st, 2018, 19:07
Fantasy Grounds 3.3.6 update pushed today: the 64bit binary of Fantasy Grounds can't be launched. Error attached.

It work on another computer, but I am puzzled what is going on here. 32bit is fine.

DebugView is quite brief on the topic, the 64bit exe starts at point 10. Next one is after compatibility checker.

00000001 0.00000000 [11272] Suspending
00000002 5.92446280 [4800] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
00000003 5.92452002 [4800]
00000004 6.01803637 [4800] Runtime Notice: Initializing COM
00000005 6.01812887 [4800]
00000006 8.10213852 [4800] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting
00000007 8.10225773 [4800]
00000008 14.80723667 [4800] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds exiting
00000009 14.80732727 [4800]
00000010 87.54727936 [16752] InitSideBySide failed create an activation context. Error: 1814
00000011 100.01944733 [14784] FTH: (14784): *** Fault tolerant heap shim applied to current process. This is usually due to previous crashes. ***

LordEntrails
July 31st, 2018, 19:23
Google indicates a couple of things to look into;
- Are the computers running the same versions of Windows?
- What version(s) of Visual C++ are installed on both computers? Do you have more than one version of C++ installed on either computer?

I would also look at what version(s) of Direct X are installed on each computer.

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2018, 19:32
You may need to make sure that DirectX 9 is installed on your machine. I found the old DirectX runtime installer on the MS web site.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Regards,
JPG

Valyar
July 31st, 2018, 19:57
The summary:

Both are running Windows 10 64bit, one Home, the other Enterprise but this is not the cause.
The one where the 64 bit works is the absolute latest and greatest, the problematic one is 1709 (10.0.16299.492).
DirectX is part of Windows 10, there is nothing to install and yes, there are multiple Visual C++ as needed per the different applications. Cross-checking - both computers have the same libraries... as I literally run the same things with the extra Visual Studio Enterprise on the problematic one.
Both machines are configured to always use the NVIDIA card for Fantasy Grounds, the problematic one is having Quadro M1000M, all drivers latest and greatest. Stopping the hardware acceleration has no effect, still the error.
DirectX 12 is the latest on both.

McAfee is configured to have FG as exception both in VSE and HIPS.
Compatibility mode does not make any difference.

All Windows logs are clear of errors, nothing in the FG folder, no trace whatsoever from the other tools i used to identify what might be wrong. Let me know what else to try.

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2018, 21:15
I'm not sure what the problem might be. It's the first I've heard of it. The error message points to some sort of platform incompatibility; such as a missing library. (like DX9; and FG requires D3DX9_43). Seems like a configuration issue somewhere...

Regards,
JPG

Valyar
July 31st, 2018, 21:20
But the 32 bit exe is working fine. Only the 64bit executable fails.
Can you give me comprehensive list of libraries needed, I can check easily if something is missing?

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2018, 21:33
You might be able to generate a full list from a dependency walker app. From our dev perspective, all of our third party libraries are statically linked, other than OS (kernel32, etc.) and DirectX.

And a side-by-side error usually indicates a missing/incorrect version of Windows DLLs...

Regards,
JPG

Valyar
August 1st, 2018, 09:34
I ran dependency walker for both 32 and 64 bit executables on the machines, the output look more or less the same and due to the shitload of red false-positives that probably the tools is throwing I can't isolate where the problem might be.

I presume this is isolated case and since program works as 32bit executable, I am fine for now. Still would appreciate if we can figure this out. I don't think re-installing will work, I wiped the executable and forced update to no avail. Re-installing Windows for this is madness that won't be allowed. :)

LordEntrails
August 1st, 2018, 17:30
Just a reminder that Moon has stated that the 64bit executable is not even in standard beta testing yet. And it's not something he has worked much on yet. It's a use at your own risk thing right now :)

Valyar
August 1st, 2018, 17:57
The question is - is it stated officially in readme or user guide that using the 64 is on your own risk?
From end user perspective, if the executable is there, he/she will definitely going to try it and complain if fails. :)

I am power user. I find it interesting why it does not run and I want to find out why, if possible. :) I believe every case like that will be beneficial for the developers to make the product and the customer support better. Therefore I wrote here, didn’t file email to the official support. I presume same people read it anyway :D

LordEntrails
August 1st, 2018, 18:46
The question is - is it stated officially in readme or user guide that using the 64 is on your own risk?
From end user perspective, if the executable is there, he/she will definitely going to try it and complain if fails. :)

I am power user. I find it interesting why it does not run and I want to find out why, if possible. :) I believe every case like that will be beneficial for the developers to make the product and the customer support better. Therefore I wrote here, didn’t file email to the official support. I presume same people read it anyway :D

Just because their is an executable inside the installation directory doesn't mean that executable is supported for user use (look at all your other applications, many of them have dozens of undocumented executables in them). As you are no doubt aware, the installation and all the program created shortcuts are to the 32 bit executable. I believe Moon's comments on the 64 bit is in the FGU thread, but not sure. It was something he put in to play with a bit back and it was noticed by a user. Rather than remove it from the public distribution, and at the request of users, he left it in so that people could play with it and help identify possible problems. But, he stated that it's not something he has time to run down issues at this point in time.

So, please do play with it and try to identify issues, and report them. That way when the dev team does have time to look into it, they will have more information available to them and can shorten the time it will take for them to actually produce and support a 64 bit version.

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2018, 19:21
I noted it here in the v3.3.6 beta test channel when it was first noticed. As LordEntrails has mentioned, it is an experimental build, and a lower priority than all live and FGU projects. Right now, we don't have anyone to work on it, but wanted to share what we had in the wild. If push came to shove, we would just remove, since we don't have resources to support/develop.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44204-Test-Release-v3-3-6&p=392903&viewfull=1#post392903

Regards,
JPG

Valyar
September 27th, 2018, 16:46
Necromancy here and update:

I am eager to make this run on this machine, so I need some ideas what to test or debug. I know this is not yet supported officially, but it will be at some point and every help from testers should be welcomed. This is not complain.

@Moon Wizard
I re-installed the NVIDIA drivers, Intel drivers and also the latest supported Visual C++ packages for 2017. I still get the same error that there is application error. Direct X is embeded in Windows 10 and there is no problem with it, otherwise the 32bit wouldn't run.

I can re-install/repair the other packages, but I need to know which one you are using?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Entry in the System log, useless as usual...

Application popup: FantasyGrounds_x64.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

PS: I put the latest Windows 10 update (i.e. new build), re-installed FG, deleted the exe and did an update, still the same. Saying this to avoid discussing it again. I am using the prod chain for the updater, but can test others if needed.

Moon Wizard
September 27th, 2018, 18:27
Thanks, Valyar.

The build tools report that they are using the v141_xp libraries that come with VS 2017. At this point, I don't have any immediate ideas as to why the execution is failing on your machine, or what the difference is between other machines where it starts up okay. Configuration errors like this are time-consuming to track down the root cause, so this will have to be something we come back to at a later date. (since we are not spending any development resources on this build at this point.)

Regards,
JPG

Valyar
September 27th, 2018, 19:25
No sweat, let me know when you move to this and I will help troubleshooting if still interesting.

I will continue messing around with that, might find out the root cause like I did with the fonts :)

Elf_Boy
November 10th, 2018, 08:32
Somehow I have the x64 code on one computer but not the laptop I usually play on - how do I install it there... it lasts longer then the req version when I need to open books and adjust my caster's spells.

Valyar
November 10th, 2018, 08:52
It should be automatically available in the FG install directory. Just update the FG via the Updater and the 64bit executable will be deployed. It should come from the Live channel.