PDA

View Full Version : DragonQuest Charactersheet & Ruleset

heliopolix
June 1st, 2006, 04:59
The forum monkeys have 'et my original post, so here it is again, courtesy of my less-than-photographic memory.

Playing D20 is fine and all, as it has had years to evolve and grow. Sometimes, though, you get a nostalgic twinge, and feel like playing something old and dusty. As there is already an outstanding effort in the AD&D camp (the old version, etc. ), I've been devoting some effort to bringing DragonQuest into FG.

DragonQuest, for those of you unfamiliar with it, came out sometime after D&D, seeking to cash in on this wonderful and exciting new form of entertainment. Sadly, it didn't do so well, and the publishers got through 2 editions before being bought out by TSR, who promptly abandoned it.

Thus far, I have created a working charactersheet that attempts to be simplistic and utitilarian in design, and maintain the flavor of the setting. I have also done some modification of the rest of the ruleset, although much work still need to be done (modifying the Monsters and Personalities, for example).

Before I go any further however, in seeking assistance on, or to disseminate this mod upon these forums, I need to adress the legal aspects of doing so. Now, the game was first published in 1980 by SPI, and was later bought out by TSR, who was bought out by WoTC, who was bought out by Hasbro. Now, IANAL, but IIRC, creative works at some point lose their copyright status and become part of the public domain (Mickey Mouse, etc). I would appreciate if any of you with a lawyerly background, or at least knowledgeable in these matters would refute that, or even better, comment on the legality of posting this ruleset here. The copyrights in question haven't been used in over 20 years. I know that disuse of something doesn't null said copyright, but copyrights aren't forever (just for christmas ^_^), and must be renewed. Again, I don't have any formal knowledge of these things, just what I sort-of know.

At any rate, if the ruleset does get the OK, I will be posting screencaps, and eventually the full build. If there are people that are interested in assisting with creating it, or just simply to beta test the incremental builds, I would be glad for your help.

Till next time,
heliopolix

joeru
June 1st, 2006, 06:43
Before I go any further however, in seeking assistance on, or to disseminate this mod upon these forums, I need to adress the legal aspects of doing so. Now, the game was first published in 1980 by SPI, and was later bought out by TSR, who was bought out by WoTC, who was bought out by Hasbro. Now, IANAL, but IIRC, creative works at some point lose their copyright status and become part of the public domain (Mickey Mouse, etc). I would appreciate if any of you with a lawyerly background, or at least knowledgeable in these matters would refute that, or even better, comment on the legality of posting this ruleset here. The copyrights in question haven't been used in over 20 years. I know that disuse of something doesn't null said copyright, but copyrights aren't forever (just for christmas ^_^), and must be renewed. Again, I don't have any formal knowledge of these things, just what I sort-of know.

Not a lawyer, but, a copy-paste from an official source:

HOW LONG COPYRIGHT PROTECTION ENDURES
Works Originally Created on or after January 1, 1978

A work that is created (fixed in tangible form for the first time) on or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the moment of its creation and is ordinarily given a term enduring for the author's life plus an additional 70 years after the author's death. In the case of "a joint work prepared by two or more authors who did not work for hire," the term lasts for 70 years after the last surviving author's death. For works made for hire, and for anonymous and pseudonymous works (unless the author's identity is revealed in Copyright Office records), the duration of copyright will be 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter.

(Source: U.S. Copyright Office: Copyright Basics. https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc )

According to US Copyright Office's records, 3rd edition was registered on May 22 1989 as a work for hire, which means the copyright will last until 2084. So, in other words, you'd be best off trying to contact someone at WotC and ask for a permission from there.