PDA

View Full Version : Creating new 5E subclasses (domains, archetypes, etc)

Razorstorm
July 29th, 2018, 06:40
Hello!

I am wanting to create some new 5E subclasses, in particular divine domains (cleric) and martial archetypes (fighter) in FG. I have purchased the PHB, but it doesn't appear that I can edit the class entries to add new specializations directly. How can I go about creating new subclasses. I have done some preliminary searching, and came across Zachaeus' video about creating classes from scratch (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37112-New-Class-Creation-Video), but that's the closest I've found. I don't want to recreate the Cleric or Fighter classes, I just want to create subclasses/archetypes.

Any guidance would be very appreciated!

LordEntrails
July 29th, 2018, 06:45
Duplicate the class. Then unlock the duplicate and modify it per Mr. Zs video.

damned
July 29th, 2018, 08:34
You have to duplicate the class.

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2018, 09:03
Indeed you can't create archetypes in a vacuum; you need the whole class. The easiest thing to do is to copy the class from the SRD and then add in your archetype(s) to that.

Razorstorm
July 29th, 2018, 15:21
Okay that makes sense.
One more basic question - how do I duplicate the class, to then unlock it and proceed?

damned
July 29th, 2018, 15:42
Okay that makes sense.
One more basic question - how do I duplicate the class, to then unlock it and proceed?

Click and hold and drag down the list a little and you will have a copy that you can unlock and edit.

Magick Ink 2020
April 17th, 2021, 04:14
Please help. I'm trying to create a new path for a Paladin.
I have copied the class. I have unlocked it. I can edit text. I can create new specializations. But I cannot seem to edit any specializations or features. I cannot copy any specializations or features.
I'm familiar with the copy & edit techniques for items and NPCs. This is my first crack at modifying a class.

One other thing, possibly related?, the other day I created a background. As the DM I can open the tables that were input. But players can see them, but cannot open them.

Any help is appreciated.

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2021, 09:14
Welcome to FG. There are a couple of videos here which may well help https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37112-New-Class-Creation-Video

Players will only be able to see what you have shared with them. So make sure that whatever is in your background has all been shared (and that includes linked tables). The best method of sharing things like classes, backgrounds and races that you have created is to export everything to a module and share the module with your players.

Magick Ink 2020
April 18th, 2021, 05:13
Thank you so much! The video was very helpful! As was your advice about sharing for the background tables. Thank you! These did create a couple of other questions though, if you don't mind...

Is there a way to format the text in the feature box like the source boxes? Like you can in other windows? I know about right clicking, but I don't see the text format option (see pic).
In the video, the narrator says that FGU knows how to handle "spellcasting". Is there a list of the "built in things" that FGU knows to automate and what that syntax is?
Also the videos are great, but is all this information that is being demonstrated available in text somewhere? That'd be so awesome, it's not always convenient to watch videos. :)

Zacchaeus
April 18th, 2021, 10:07
Yes, you can format text in the features box either by right clicking and selecting the paragraph type or by using the normal shortcut keys.

There's not really a list of know built in things - there's only a couple. Spellcasting is the only one I can think of off-hand in class building. There's a few for races and NPCs and some feats are automated as well. But there's no master list.

Magick Ink 2020
April 18th, 2021, 17:26
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for the text tip and the info!

Milmoor
April 20th, 2021, 07:09
Yes, you can format text in the features box either by right clicking and selecting the paragraph type or by using the normal shortcut keys.

There's not really a list of know built in things - there's only a couple. Spellcasting is the only one I can think of off-hand in class building. There's a few for races and NPCs and some feats are automated as well. But there's no master list.
This might help as a list: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48739-5e-Class-Background-Race-Feat-interpreted-strings

LaoclesJarkin
May 6th, 2021, 03:12
Hello,

So this was extremely helpful,

the only issue I am having is, when in the Character Wizard.
The subclass, has spells. But when i am creating a character it doesn't give me the options for spells/cantrips.

I am at a loss here.

Zacchaeus
May 6th, 2021, 09:01
Hello,

The subclass, has spells. But when i am creating a character it doesn't give me the options for spells/cantrips.

I am at a loss here.

I'm not sure that the Character Wizard has been optimized for homebrew stuff yet. You'd need to refer to the Wizard thread. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60435-5E-Character-Wizard-Bug-Reports-(2020)

Zacchaeus
May 6th, 2021, 09:02
Hello,

I am at a loss here.

I'm not sure that the Character Wizard has been optimized for homebrew stuff yet. You'd need to refer to the Wizard thread. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60435-5E-Character-Wizard-Bug-Reports-(2020) (And to be honest I'm not sure how the wizard would ever pick that up for homebrew classes)

SolarAlbatross
November 4th, 2021, 22:28
Hi, bumping this thread to ask a related question - I'm testing out FG to see how I like it/how easy it is to use vs. other things. Adding custom subclasses was one thing that I'm experimenting with - am I correct in thinking that with the demo you can't do any of the copying/unlocking stuff like you can with the full version? I've seen a few videos about how to do it, but can't seem to get it to work in the demo. Just wanting to make sure it isn't user error. :)

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2021, 10:19
Welcome to FG.

To be honest I'm not sure what you can and can't do with the demo version. Normally to copy something you open the module and then open the relevant list from the campaign buttons on the right and then click on and drag the thing you want to copy and drop it back down into the same list. If that isn't working with classes or races for you then it is quite possible you can't do that with the demo version.

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2021, 15:47
With the FGU Demo version, you can do everything you can do with the licensed version, except for host games.

Regards,
JPG