PDA

View Full Version : 2nd edition dnd monsters conversion to 3.5...

Kefrem
July 29th, 2018, 03:27
How does one get the attack bonuses for the monsters? ive searched everywhere even got the conversion book...its so very vague on it.

celestian
July 29th, 2018, 03:44
How does one get the attack bonuses for the monsters? ive searched everywhere even got the conversion book...its so very vague on it.

AD&D 2e (and 1e sorta) uses THACO. To get the BAB of a creature in AD&D simply 20-THACO=BaB. So if THACO is 15 it would be 20-15=5 bab.

To get the Ascending from Descending AC: 20-DescendingAC=AscendingAC

Valyar
July 29th, 2018, 07:17
Which conversion book you are referring to?

To calculate only the Attack Bonus you need to take into account the creature's Type, Size, Str/Dex, feats and classes (if any). Those parameters are quite important, as in 3.5 we have different progression of the base attack bonus, saving throws, skills and etc. Adding classes to the base creature (which is determined by its HD how tough it is in its natural form) is another extra complexity, which can make things hairy. Monster Manual 3.5 has Chapter 4 and 5 dedicated to this.

Maybe you can see if your monsters aren't already moved in one of the many monster manual and codex books if we talk about WotC content.

Kefrem
July 29th, 2018, 14:28
Sadly its the dark sun compendiums...which I don't think they translated. At any rate thanks for the info.

LordEntrails
July 29th, 2018, 17:31
Sadly its the dark sun compendiums...which I don't think they translated. At any rate thanks for the info.
Dark sun was done for 3.5. It was a community conversion, but very well done and a big project by a bunch of people. I'm sure if you google it you should be able to find it.

Kefrem
July 30th, 2018, 15:38
I found the sourcebook/guide but I still cant track down the monstrous compendiums...can anyone help?

LordEntrails
July 30th, 2018, 18:11
I found the sourcebook/guide but I still cant track down the monstrous compendiums...can anyone help?
https://athas.org/products?tag=Monstrous+Compendium
I think the "Terrors of Athas" might be the 3.5 compendium, given the publish date. But it's not listed as to which version it is.

This was updated to 3.5, but not sure if it has any creatures in it. https://www.athas.org/products/ds3/documents/109

Kefrem
July 30th, 2018, 19:43
that was a huge help..thanks :)