PDA

View Full Version : Chaosbolt Workaround

lostsanityreturned
July 25th, 2018, 11:10
Chaosbolt doesn't work in the fantasygrounds app as it currently stands, so last night I nutted out a quick solution for one of my players.

Spell
Chaosbolt

first effect Spell type, standard spell attack roll

second effect Damage type, 2d8+1d6 -999
third effect Damage type, 1d6 -999
The negative modifiers are there to make sure these rolls never do their untyped damage, they are just for reference

fourth effect Damage type, empty
This is for when you are actually rolling the damage, it will make sense later

fifth effect, Effect type, "CB; DMG:1" rounds 1, self, next action
sixth effect, Effect type, "CB; DMG:2" rounds 1, self, next action
seventh effect, Effect type, "CB; DMG:5" rounds 1, self, next action
The caster clicks these a number of times up to the total negative result from the damage rolls. It is fast in practice

You can then either add the following effects to the spell or make a power"Chaos Bolt: Elemental type" separately. It is just a clutter thing.
eighth effect to fifteenth effect, Effect type, "CB; DMGTYPE:each element from the spell listed once in their own effects

The way you use this is:
- roll to attack the first target
- roll the damage, because of the negative modifier it won't ever damage anything and the roll total will be represented by the negative modifier in the chat.
- take note of doubles on the d8's
- click on the DMG effects to get to the damage rolled. eg. a 9 rolled would be one press of 5 and two presses of 2
- choose a damage type from the two d8s rolled and apply the relevent effect
- drag the third and empty damage die over to the target, it will do the right damage and the right amount of damage.

This is just to help people who want to run the spell as written, I understand that some people won't want to bother, although this is actually quite fluid in play.

Each element if running the spell as written has different damage ranges.
Acid for instance can never do more than 15dmg with an unmodified spell, but thunder can do up to 22dmg. It isn't that important in the end, but it is just nice to think about how to get things working if they don't work properly in the constraints of the program.

LordEntrails
July 25th, 2018, 17:56
Why not just make 8 effects, of 1d6 for each element type. Then have the player roll 2d8 (not an effect). They can then choose which of the two d8s define the damage type (since they can select either). then drag the results of the 2d8 to the modifier window and roll the 1d6 effect with the appropriate damage type?

Save you 7 effects and it seems simplier to me. Yea, their's not an "effect" for the 2d8, but still seems much simplier to me.

lostsanityreturned
July 25th, 2018, 18:13
Why not just make 8 effects, of 1d6 for each element type. Then have the player roll 2d8 (not an effect). They can then choose which of the two d8s define the damage type (since they can select either). then drag the results of the 2d8 to the modifier window and roll the 1d6 effect with the appropriate damage type?

Save you 7 effects and it seems simplier to me. Yea, their's not an "effect" for the 2d8, but still seems much simplier to me.

I didn't remember the modifier box applied to non d20 rolls tbh. That said, it would be slower to do that on my 4k monitor, but it is a great solution for people with 1080p monitors.

Ty