PDA

View Full Version : better whisper notification?

hrothgar
July 25th, 2018, 03:05
was wondering if theres a built in feature im missing, or if theres an extension that better announces to my players when i send a whisper.

optimally i would love it if when i sent a whisper, a pop up window or big message alerted them. maybe even a color changing effect on their screen. i send a lot of secret messages to them individually when their character notices something the others do not. and its hard to get them to notice the messages with just the alert ping i can send them

LordEntrails
July 25th, 2018, 03:37
Welcome to the forums. Your name sounds familiar :)

There is no such extension I'm aware of. But someone else might jump in with something. You can always see if the idea has already been added to the wishlist, and if not, add it your self :)
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

damned
July 25th, 2018, 03:51
I modified the whisper chat font to a big orange font in some games because the GM kept missing my whispers :)
I think the More 5e Fun extension has this font - you can hack it open and see how its done as you might not want the rest of the elements in that extension - it was just a bunch of small tweaks for our game - and many have been superseded by the ruleset change - I think it had a better dice tower when FG had a crappy one for a whort while and rerolled init every turn when that wasnt an option etc...

Andraax
July 25th, 2018, 04:10
You can always ring the bell on their client. Right click the player portrait to get the menu which includes a bell.

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2018, 04:59
It’s already displayed in a blue bubble to differentiate from regular text. I’ve been contemplating adding a bell on whisper; but not sure I want yet since I wouldn’t want to add yet another option so it would be permanently on.

JPG

celestian
July 25th, 2018, 06:52
It’s already displayed in a blue bubble to differentiate from regular text. I’ve been contemplating adding a bell on whisper; but not sure I want yet since I wouldn’t want to add yet another option so it would be permanently on.

JPG

I wrote a extension to do this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42687-CoreRPG-based-Extention-WhisperDING) but it wont DING on the DM side (this is a restriction in User.ringBell()).

The extension has a configuration option to let everyone else but the DM get a DING when a whisper is sent ;)

Talyn
July 25th, 2018, 19:56

JPG

No. Options. Options are Good! Options are Great! We need more! Player-side, not GM side!

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2018, 23:42
No, options are bad long term. Options = features not immediately accessible or used, plus extra code maintenance for all the branching permutations. I really think hard before adding an option, and always look for ways to simplify and remove them.

JPG

celestian
July 26th, 2018, 00:44
No. Options. Options are Good! Options are Great! We need more! Player-side, not GM side!

I agree. Having the ability to toggle a option is something I like. Someone will always want to disable something someone else wants.

No, options are bad long term. Options = features not immediately accessible or used, plus extra code maintenance for all the branching permutations. I really think hard before adding an option, and always look for ways to simplify and remove them.

I dunno if anyone would complain if you added a WhisperDING like feature into CoreRPG ... check that, yes they would... but I doubt it'd be enough to worry about... that said this is something that would be in CoreRPG so... branches should all have it since they use CoreRPG (or should) right?

For an extension it is certainly easier to manage tho... so if you wanna add a User.ringBell() that'll work for for host I'll update mine ;)

Talyn
July 26th, 2018, 00:50
Along with the WhisperDING! I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see It'sMyTurnDING! moved to Player options not GM options...

celestian
July 26th, 2018, 01:15
Along with the WhisperDING! I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see It'sMyTurnDING! moved to Player options not GM options...

Woops, my mistake, you were always suppose to be able to. Corrected!

Talyn
July 26th, 2018, 01:16
That was for @MW... do you have one that does that? :)

#ItsMyTurnNowAndIllDingIfIWantTo

celestian
July 26th, 2018, 01:21
That was for @MW... do you have one that does that? :)

#ItsMyTurnNowAndIllDingIfIWantTo

Get the WhisperDING extention here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42687-CoreRPG-based-Extention-WhisperDING).

Moon Wizard
July 26th, 2018, 02:56
I think there are some GMs who would disagree about turn ding being controlled by players. We have a couple players in our group that need the reminder that it’s their turn, and would probably turn it off. (Easily distracted)

JPG

Talyn
July 26th, 2018, 03:22
I have just the opposite problem -- GMs I play for won't turn the option on. If you look up "easily distracted" I'm the handsome fellow pictured with the definition. :p

celestian
July 26th, 2018, 03:29
I think there are some GMs who would disagree about turn ding being controlled by players. We have a couple players in our group that need the reminder that it’s their turn, and would probably turn it off. (Easily distracted)

JPG

Turn ding absolutely I would put in the hands of the DM. I hate waiting on someone cause they are "sleeping" or doing something other than 100% engrossed in the game ;)

damned
July 26th, 2018, 05:28
Turn ding absolutely I would put in the hands of the DM. I hate waiting on someone cause they are "sleeping" or doing something other than 100% engrossed in the game ;)

10 seconds.... and then move on!

Nylanfs
July 26th, 2018, 14:15
Perhaps an extension to send a mild shock through the player's keyboard or mouse?

Andraax
July 26th, 2018, 14:18
Perhaps an extension to send a mild shock through the player's keyboard or mouse?

Mild?

:p

Valarian
July 26th, 2018, 15:29
Do players get a pass if named Jennifer :p

celestian
July 26th, 2018, 15:56

I likey! I wonder if my players would get suspicious when I send them wired contacts to attach to their temples?

LordEntrails
July 26th, 2018, 17:13
I likey! I wonder if my players would get suspicious when I send them wired contacts to attach to their temples?
Tell them it's a new "headset"

Bonkon
July 26th, 2018, 22:49
Good Day all :)
Please define "Mild" :)

LordEntrails
July 27th, 2018, 00:47
Mild = a level of stimulation that guarantees the subject is aware of the stimulation and can not easily ignore it, and, does not directly impair bodily function and thought for more than 30 seconds*.

*Unless the convulsions caused during this time results in the subjects body falling off a balcony, or the collapse of a nearby wall, or otherwise might be related to the victim, err subject, violently interacting with their surroundings.

DragonsDen13
July 31st, 2018, 07:50
Mild = a level of stimulation that guarantees the subject is aware of the stimulation and can not easily ignore it, and, does not directly impair bodily function and thought for more than 30 seconds*.

*Unless the convulsions caused during this time results in the subjects body falling off a balcony, or the collapse of a nearby wall, or otherwise might be related to the victim, err subject, violently interacting with their surroundings.

Please sign this "No Liability" clause before signing up for this campaign?

GavinRuneblade
August 1st, 2018, 09:52
Please sign this "No Liability" clause before signing up for this campaign?

Why does this no liability waiver include terms stating that in the case of my accidental death that my dice and my miniature collection becomes the property of the DM?

Don't mind that, it's just boilerplate.