PDA

View Full Version : Converted DL1 into FG 5th Edition

Vodkard
July 24th, 2018, 22:42
Hi all,

I have a question. I spent a long time carefully and faithfully converting DL1: Dragons of Despair. I copied and pasted the entire story. I created from ground up every NPC. Recreated the dungeon maps. Complete overhaul on the races. New class: Knight. New Background: The Chosen One. Pictures for everything. I used the original source along with data and pictures from other Dragonlance pdfs bought from DMsGuild. I'm almost done beta-testing it as a hybrid at the local DnD store. So my question. What part of this is copyrighted and what isn't? Is there any way I can modify this to be able to give it out to people or put it on DMsGuild? Thanks in advance.

damned
July 24th, 2018, 23:27
Hi all,

I have a question. I spent a long time carefully and faithfully converting DL1: Dragons of Despair. I copied and pasted the entire story. I created from ground up every NPC. Recreated the dungeon maps. Complete overhaul on the races. New class: Knight. New Background: The Chosen One. Pictures for everything. I used the original source along with data and pictures from other Dragonlance pdfs bought from DMsGuild. I'm almost done beta-testing it as a hybrid at the local DnD store. So my question. What part of this is copyrighted and what isn't? Is there any way I can modify this to be able to give it out to people or put it on DMsGuild? Thanks in advance.

Its all copyright.
Maps are copyright.
Story is copyright.
NPC names are copyright.
Standard, generic items, spells and monster types are probably not protected under copyright.

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2018, 23:38
If you look at what https://classicmodulestoday.com/ does, you will see that they do not provide story text, maps, etc. These conversion guides work for text/pdf, but they don't work for FG. Because without the story text, without the maps, there is little that you can actually convert and distribute. About all you could do would be NPC encounters.

Vodkard
July 25th, 2018, 17:08
If you look at what https://classicmodulestoday.com/ does, you will see that they do not provide story text, maps, etc. These conversion guides work for text/pdf, but they don't work for FG. Because without the story text, without the maps, there is little that you can actually convert and distribute. About all you could do would be NPC encounters.

Hey, just want to say thanks for pointing me to that website. It sucks that I can’t distribute it but that website is at least somewhat of a relief that all my work will not completely in vain.