PDA

View Full Version : Completely new player, looking for basic 5E learning

Kaisash
July 24th, 2018, 04:30
I am completely new. I have watched videos and I still do not understand anything. I will need someone patient, and willing to teach me through play.
There is just way to much to learn by just throwing information at me, it is difficult to stay idle and learn.

I am hoping to find someone tomorrow which will be 24th Tuesday or Wed. I will be pretty flexible on time, until next week.

Just a little about me.
The reason for trying DnD
I am 30 years old, male, and i never realy had a desire to play DnD before a couple of weeks ago. I was and possibly am more into video games, and more clear objective board/card games, but I have been finding my self getting bored of the repitition of it all.
Here I am now finding it all kind of stale, and then i saw this on steam and suddenly the idea of someone else creating a world that can change on a whim through random actions of players seems appealing.

I honestly have no idea what kind of player I will be. I mainly just use my imagination for problem solving in games, and I honestly have no idea what i am in for.

TMO
July 24th, 2018, 05:16
Are you looking to jump into a full game or would you want someone to basically give you a live action tutorial (i.e., basically a one-on-one game session)?

Kaisash
July 24th, 2018, 05:53
I am not actualy sure. I would have to leave that to the group or individual to decide from experiance.

TMO
July 24th, 2018, 06:03
You would probably do just fine if an existing group invited you to jump into a game as long as it was low level (thus easier to assimilate fewer rules mechanics), the group was at a place where they can introduce a new character, and they were willing to slow the pace down to help answer questions and explain things as you go. I have seen a number of groups who are very willing to accommodate a new player like this, but you might not be able to find such a group in such short notice.

I am happy to spend an hour or two with you in a one-on-one session Wednesday evening, say around 7-9PM PST. Let me know (just private message me) and we can make arrangements.

Kaisash
July 24th, 2018, 06:22
Replyed with a message, and thank you!. The reason for the quick search is that i have no idea hpw long these usaly are and i start work again next week which is 7 days a week. leaving me open only from 7 to 10 pm. -800 pacific time

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2018, 11:04
Another good place to visit is the FG College (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!) for help and courses on how to play

TMO
July 24th, 2018, 15:16
Another good place to visit is the FG College (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40020-Join-Fantasy-Grounds-College-Learn-Fantasy-Grounds-learn-D-amp-D-and-then-play!) for help and courses on how to play

Zacchaeus, thanks for posting that. I kept hearing about this but never looked into it. Wow, looks like the perfect resource for someone like Kaisash, or even someone with experience.

Kaisash, I'm still happy to spend time with you. I'll reply to your private message to work out details for tomorrow night but if you look into FG College and think that is a better route then feel free to change course. :)

Kaisash
July 24th, 2018, 16:32
I am definatly checking this out. Thank you.