PDA

View Full Version : How to create a spell list for a home brew class?

mostcallmetim
July 22nd, 2018, 01:54
Within FG can you create a spell list for a homebrew class? If yes, then a little explaination would be useful. I have attached a screenshot below for a more exact refrence for what I would like to accomplish. The screenshot is from the wizard class pack. I am trying to create a class pack module for the Swordmage class. Everything seems to be working fine in just the OG UI, but I'm unable to create a spell list. I don't need to create any homebrew spells, just a spell list for this class of already existing spells.

damned
July 22nd, 2018, 05:31
welcome mostcallmetim

have you watched Zacchaues videos on youtube?
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zacchaeus55/videos
Watch - creating a Class, Race, Background

Zacchaeus
July 22nd, 2018, 10:08
I think you can achieve this by editing the spells that you want and adding the class to the list at the bottom where it says source and then exporting to a module. When opened in a campaign you can then filter the spells by source and only see the ones from the class you want.

Otherwise you would need to create the spell list in the XML, I think. But you can't get a spell list like it appears in the PHB library list by creating it in FG.

mostcallmetim
July 22nd, 2018, 15:32
Yes Damned I have seen Zacchaues videos they are awesome. Unfortunitely the class he creates in the video doesn't go over creating a spell list for them.

mostcallmetim
July 22nd, 2018, 15:40
I think you can achieve this by editing the spells that you want and adding the class to the list at the bottom where it says source and then exporting to a module. When opened in a campaign you can then filter the spells by source and only see the ones from the class you want.

Otherwise you would need to create the spell list in the XML, I think. But you can't get a spell list like it appears in the PHB library list by creating it in FG.

This method does work as you explained. I am able to add Swordmage as a spell source and then filter by Swordmage spells. So I guess that is fine, but if you look at my screenshot, 24049

You can see the other classes under "features" have a link to spellcasting, then to spells, and so within each class you have a nice list of all the spells for just that class. The adding a source works, but it's not as neatly organized compared to "actual" modules such as the PHB or Class Packs etc.

LordEntrails
July 22nd, 2018, 22:25
Sounds like a feature to add to the wishlist if it isn't already there; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Greywolf411
June 2nd, 2019, 02:24
I'm frankly kinda shocked that this isn't already available. I just took the dive into this program and went heavily in, getting the Essentials pack, Unlimited, and Ghosts of Saltmarsh. I was typing up the Artificer into Fantasy Grounds as I have a gnome that is going to play one and things were going pretty well. There is some oddness where you can't edit the text/bold/etc to get it to look like some of the ways they have set up things from the Player's handbook but nothing too bad. However, I'm sad this isn't something they have worked on considering when I look up this in google I get people talking about it for years before now.

LordEntrails
June 2nd, 2019, 03:00
I'm frankly kinda shocked that this isn't already available. I just took the dive into this program and went heavily in, getting the Essentials pack, Unlimited, and Ghosts of Saltmarsh. I was typing up the Artificer into Fantasy Grounds as I have a gnome that is going to play one and things were going pretty well. There is some oddness where you can't edit the text/bold/etc to get it to look like some of the ways they have set up things from the Player's handbook but nothing too bad. However, I'm sad this isn't something they have worked on considering when I look up this in google I get people talking about it for years before now.
Welcome to the forums :)

Well, given that I'm pretty sure no one has even added it to the wishlist, seems like not too many people are interested in the capability. In the meantime (since this post was started), FG has had a couple of major release updates, has had major developmental progress on FGU, brought on board nearly half a dozen new rulesets, and probably dozens of new DLC content.

I admit this would be a nice functionality, but the FG team is limited and they have to prioritize. If no one is interested enough to even add this to the wishlist... not surprising it hasn't been implemented.

Greywolf411
June 2nd, 2019, 03:09
Thank you LordEntrails, and I realize they are busy, just marking my surprise, as I was a bit.

I have added it to the wishlist so we'll see. Looking forward to see all the UI changes and improvements with FGU.

LordEntrails
June 2nd, 2019, 05:08
FYI, the wishlist item is here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=126414

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2019, 10:22

Open the spells list and create a new group called Artificer Spells. Copy the spells you need and drag them into that group. If you need to create any spells create those inside your group. Export the spells as a shared module. You won't be able to link this to the class or anything but it will enable the player to filter the list by level etc.

carpenter2003
July 21st, 2020, 13:58
I'm pretty much a novice to all things Fantasy Grounds but I think there is a method to basically achieve what you are asking for. Someone else posted this on a board for working with subclasses.

Create a 0-level Feature in your class called "Classname Spells"
Open up and edit that Feature creating headers for your class levels.
Drag and drop each spell onto the list in its proper place.

Now open your Spellcasting Feature for that class and drag the 0-level Feature into it as a link.

Now when they open their Spellcasting feature they have access to the link. Since its 0-level it appears it will never be assigned to any PC unless used as a link somewhere.

2 draw backs, again I'm a novice here, you might not be able to get the nice black banded headers and the white/grey shaded alternating lines that make it easier to read. And two you have to make sure and go back and update this 0-level Feature anytime you add or remove a spell, where altering the source of any spell and using the spell sort/filter options will always be up to date.

Laergulon
February 24th, 2023, 18:41
Hi, I have not read this thread completely but it is very easy to use a Story entry here. Clone your class and re-name to the desired new class. At the bottom is the link to the spells list. Create a new story item and drag and drop your spells to this window in order. Then edit the Class entry by backspacing over the current spell list entry at the bottom to erase it, hit the enter once to get a new blank line and drag and drop your story entry in. Because it is a link you can update the story and it will update in the Class link as well. Quick and easy.

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2023, 19:37
Hi, I have not read this thread completely but it is very easy to use a Story entry here. Clone your class and re-name to the desired new class. At the bottom is the link to the spells list. Create a new story item and drag and drop your spells to this window in order. Then edit the Class entry by backspacing over the current spell list entry at the bottom to erase it, hit the enter once to get a new blank line and drag and drop your story entry in. Because it is a link you can update the story and it will update in the Class link as well. Quick and easy.

This is a rather old thread and you can create spells lists within Unity now; see video thirty five here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity

Laergulon
February 24th, 2023, 21:37
This is a rather old thread and you can create spells lists within Unity now; see video thirty five here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity

Yes, just passing by and saw it today. Thanks, this will be helpful.