PDA

View Full Version : Creating Magic Item Effect

cheezeninj4
July 19th, 2018, 07:26
So no big deal if this isnt possible but I am trying to create an item that grants a +2 to saving throws only when the throw fails. I was wondering if in the Spell Effect description/condition/modifiers box, if there were any conditions that would create this effect.

if this isnt possible i'll just have to ignore the bonus if it succeeds during gameplay.

Zacchaeus
July 19th, 2018, 15:42
I'm not sure I understand the principle here. You want a +2 bonus only if the save fails? Can I ask why?

You can add a number to a save using SAVE: 2, <ability> If you miss out the ability then the bonus will apply to all saves. You can also chain abilities to narrow the save down to just some abilities such as SAVE: x, dexterity, wisdom.

You can't however test to see whether a save failed or by how much it failed before you add in a bonus.

damned
July 19th, 2018, 16:45
mechanically applying the bonus only to fails is the same as applying the bonus to all rolls...

Trenloe
July 19th, 2018, 17:01
We need to know the use case. Maybe there's an ability that can be used a certain number of times per short rest that allows a save failed by 1 or 2 points to be passed? I'm just guessing though...