PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Syrinscape with an iPad (and having the sound play on your Windows PC)

Gwydion
July 18th, 2018, 14:53
Hey, guys. On my neverending quest for sound enhancements to my games, I found another item that some of you might find useful. As my screen real estate continues to be limited with Fantasy Grounds on my monitor and OBS, Voicemeeter Banana, Syrinscape, Ableton Live Lite, Discord, etc. on my laptop screen behind multiple windows when I stream, I'm always looking for ways to change that! So, I started wondering if there was a way to use my iPad to control Syrinscape, but have the sound come through my PC so I can send the Syrinscape sounds to my stream on twitch and to my players through cleanfeed. Given I have not found a way to just have a bluetooth connection between my iPad and my windows PC and I can't connect with the 3.5 mm jack in my laptop as I need that for my headset, I thought I was out of luck.

After much searching I found a product called airfoil by Rogue Amoeba. It does come with a cost of $29.

Airfoil touts itself as being able to play sound/apps from IOS devices and broadcast them to a windows pc or Mac. I downloaded a free trial of the software and installed it on my PC. It installs two programs, one is a “satellite” or receiver and the other can be used to send the signal to other devices. All I really needed was the satellite, but they aren’t sold separately from what I can tell.

After making sure my iPad and PC were on the same wireless network, it was very easy to follow the instructions to get my iPad connected to my PC. I fired up Syrinscape on my iPad, hit play and low and behold, the sound came through on my PC. I was able to set the default output of the satellite receiver on my PC to whatever I wanted, so given I use Voicemeeter Banana, I set it to Voicemeeter Aux input. I then fired up Syrinscape on my PC and was able to have my iPad version running through the Aux Input and my PC version running through Cable B input (in Voicemeeter Banana).

The reason I might set it up this way is I have a lot of automated sounds that trigger from Syrinscape when I run Fantasy Grounds (thank you Dulux-Oz for your wonderful DOE: Sound extension!). I’ll leave that connected to my PC version of Syrinscape, but then I won't touch the PC version of Syrinscape at all during my gaming session. I might keep my iPad sitting in front of my while we play to change mood background ambience in Syrinscape quickly without having to find the right window on my pc. A side benefit is that given I have the satellite program set with a default output of Voicemeeter Aux input, I don’t have to fiddle around with changing default devices for Syrinscape for the iPad instance (but I still will with the PC instance).

Sorry, this is getting long! Bottom line: The software costs $29. I think it will be worth it to me so I’ll probably take the plunge. The latency seemed pretty good. When I triggered a sound on my iPad it seemed to start playing pretty quickly, but I want to test the latency and sound quality more. I’ll probably buy it and record a video to show folks how it works and the quality and upload the video to . You can download a trial version (link below) that will work for about 10 minutes and then it will still work, but it will play a loud hissing sound to let you know your trail is up.

Here is the link to download the trial and a link that explains how to set it up. Oh, and if there is a much easier way to do this that others know, sorry for the distraction here!

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowledgebase/?showArticle=iOS-Multiple-Windows

Gwydion
July 18th, 2018, 15:43
Something I need to check tonight.... I set this up by connecting my computer and iPad to a hotspot and not standard wireless network. I need to check to ensure this will work with a true wireless connection tonight... Will keep everyone posted here.

Valyar
July 18th, 2018, 18:03
How many screens and of what size are you using? I am now curious about your setup.... :)

Gwydion
July 18th, 2018, 19:07
Right now I am using a 27" HP Pavilion monitor and my laptop screen which is 15.6" (Dell inspiron).... :)

Nylanfs
July 18th, 2018, 19:11
Some day soon... (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ss89_j5BA6w/maxresdefault.jpg)

Gwydion
July 18th, 2018, 19:14
Some day soon... (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ss89_j5BA6w/maxresdefault.jpg)

ooooohhhh....ahhhhh... Nirvana! Looks awesome..

Gwydion
July 18th, 2018, 23:51
Ok. Just got home and tested this out on my home network. Works like a charm. Feels like there might be a bit of latency for when I click on a track for it to play, but it works awesome! I think I'll buy the program and post a video on it when I get a chance. Really cool!

Valyar
July 19th, 2018, 11:43
WTB sound support in FG :|

Gwydion
July 21st, 2018, 01:06
Well, this isn't my best video work, but here is a link to a quick and dirty video on this topic:

https://youtu.be/kSwre5uWyH8