PDA

View Full Version : Creating any magic item in FG - 5e that isn't some bog standard variant.

limeyben
July 16th, 2018, 18:39
I've been beating my head against this for some hours now and getting rather irritated.

Every time I try and create a personalised item suitable for my campaign, I wind up with the result "Remove incompatible items from the selection." Which would be merely annoying if I knew what the chuff rule I'd broken was, but for Thor's sake, this is supposed to be magic, dagnabbit and I should be able to put pretty much any power in any item.

Drag and drop from existing, very limited portfolios is b.s. I want a ring of power surge, wand of armour, earring of darkvision (the current node of irritation).... I think I should be allowed to craft my own campaign, as I see fit.

So, am I missing something? I've spent 3 hours, plus, trying to make a earring of darkvision and have been told repeatedly that it's not "Allowed". Why the F not?

Trenloe
July 16th, 2018, 19:05
I think you're getting hung-up on trying to use the forge?

If you want a completely bespoke magic item that is outside of the drag-drop guidelines of the forge then just manually create it yourself outside of the forge.

Create a new item from the "Items" campaign data list and fill in all the details that you need.

Information on creating items here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet

LordEntrails
July 16th, 2018, 19:18
Prior to the Forge, we did it Old Skool, just like Trenloe said. Just create it by typing in what you want :)

The only thing you want to keep in mind is to use the language, where possible, from official items. that way you can maintain as much automation as possible (but don't expect unique/ orifginal / creative stuff to always be fully automated.)

Trenloe
July 16th, 2018, 19:28
The only thing you want to keep in mind is to use the language, where possible, from official items. that way you can maintain as much automation as possible (but don't expect unique/ orifginal / creative stuff to always be fully automated.)
There's little automation/description parsing for items (basically none if it's not a weapon or armour - and for these only the specific data fields are used). So I wouldn't get too hung up on the wording used in a custom magic item.

Moon Wizard
July 16th, 2018, 19:29
The forge attempts to match the "Type" of magic item templates with the "Type" of the base item, which is what triggers the compatibility message. If you copy existing base items and templates to get an example and feel for the system, it will help.

Regards,
JPG

limeyben
July 16th, 2018, 19:59
Thanks for the reply, I was overthinking it maybe, but seem to have got something working.