PDA

View Full Version : Character creation - which version of class/race to use?

TheoGeek
July 16th, 2018, 00:34
OK, this might be a dumb question, but here goes...

I "completed the set" for 5e, and now there are multiple versions of classes and races (from the various books). Given that, which version (source book) of the class/race do I drag to the sheet?

Does it matter?

Thanks!
Jeff.

LordEntrails
July 16th, 2018, 01:55
Well, which sub-races and options do you want?
Do you want the core races or do you want the options from Volos, Xanathar, SCAG, etc?

Use the one from the source you want the options from.

TheoGeek
July 16th, 2018, 01:59
I guess my gist was more like "are the other rulebook classes/races "partial" (like additions to) the PHB classes/races, or are they fully fleshed out classes/races?"

They seem to be the latter, but I wanted to make sure.

LordEntrails
July 16th, 2018, 02:03
They are stand-alone, but not complete. Meaning if you drag an ABC from Volos, then it will have the options that are listed in Volos, but not the options from SCAG or the PHB etc. It will also have the "base" info for the race/class/etc, just not the options etc.

TheoGeek
July 16th, 2018, 02:11
Cool. Thanks!

Zacchaeus
July 16th, 2018, 11:00
As far as the basic information is concerned (Hit Points, starting gear, proficiencies etc) the classes are the same in the PHB and in Xanathar. Where they differ is in the archetypes and the 'fluff' text relating to the class. You can choose to drag in the class from the PHB or from Xanathar and provided you have both open can choose any of the archetypes at the appropriate level. At level up you can choose from any of the books and everything will work fine as long as both are open. If you choose an archetype from the PHB then you can close Xanathar and vice versa.

For races it is essentially the same. Most of the races in Volo are unique races not found in the PHB. However the races in Mordenkainen and in SCAG are the same as races found in the PHB. However the latter two modules added several sub races. So, again, you can choose the race from any of the modules and provided they are all open you can choose any subrace that is available across all of the modules. The only exception to this is the Tiefling Race. If you drag in that race from the PHB you will get a choice of all the subraces as normal. However the race in the PHB is actually the subrace of 'Asmodeus' in Mordenkainen and so you will get the benefit of the ASI for the race you choose and for the Asmodius subrace which is clearly not correct. So if you want to choose the Tiefling race make sure that you drag the race from Mordenkainen and not from the PHB. Another method is to drag in the actual subrace (rather than the race) and this way you don't get the pop up and cannot therefore choose an incorrect combination.